Technique

DirtDigler

Apr 10, 2010
Caroline Co., VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Okay, this is not really a tech issue, but I can't find a forum entitled 'Technique'. This concerns the low-tech end of our hobby, the digging implement. I am interested in exploring options. I've seen as many different tools as I've seen detectors. Currently, I carry a fiberglass-handled Rigid shovel. It does okay and I've seen the purpose-built, high-dollar shovels. So far, I prefer what I use now. Some folks opt for the entrenching tool from the Army. This technique involves swiveling the blade 90 degrees and using the arc of your swinging arm to provide the force. Having seen a friend use this tool/technique, I cringed at the though of him cutting a plate in half when slamming it into the dry clay. Although smaller and lighter, it required far more effort than my simple long-handled shovel. The short-handled shovel requires a two-handed operation whereby you set the detector down, bend your back and, using two hands, move the earth. With my long-handled shovel, I can move the detector to my left hand and hold the shovel with my right hand while stepping it into the ground. Then use a prying motion to pop the plug from the ground. Sure... sometimes I have to put the detector down and scrounge through the diggings. But often I can dig it with one hand and keep on moving without much trouble. That said, I'm open to new ideas and better methods. What's your solution, and why?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a Lesche digger on my hip for those shallow targets, and a Predator Tools D-handle "Raven" as my shovel of choice. The Raven is rather pricey, but you get what you pay for. It's built solid, you won't have to worry about breaking the handle trying to pry out roots and rocks. Wooden or fiberglass handles are prone to break, leaving you stranded.
As for the long shovel, in some spots I can see where it have an advantage, and in some a disadvantage.

Tried the military shovel, didn't really like it for the same reasons you mentioned, I don't want to destroy some prized relic...

Best thing to do is weigh your options and the type of hunting you do. If you are in soft sandy soil, you can probably use the long shovel without any problem. If you hunt in rocky, hard clay, woods, then you may want to consider a dedicated relic shovel by Lesche or Predator Tools.

As for technique, I do the same, I hold the detector with one hand and the shovel with the other and make my initial plug cuts. Once i have the plug out of the ground then I tend to put the detector down and carefully excavate to find the relic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread