teen anglers land $100,000

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
S

stefen

Let me help... :thumbsup:

IT was the catch of a lifetime -- a bag with almost $100,000 cash -- and they decided to throw it back.

Two teenager brothers stumbled across the small fortune while fishing for bass at Tuntable Creek in northern NSW two weeks ago before deciding to let it go over the weekend after listening to their mum and a lawyer.

"I'm very proud," said the boy's mum who wanted the family to remain anonymous.

"That was the best thing to possibly do with the money. It needed to be given back to police to work out what was happening with it," she said.

"Today they (the brothers) said 'we were sweet before and we're sweet now'. I thought that was the most divine thing to hear."

She said the decision to hand in the cash didn't come easily: "I wrestled with it to be honest, I really wrestled with it. I knew once I made that decision that was it."

Tuntable Creek runs east of Australia's marijuana capital, Nimbin, fuelling speculation the cash was stashed drug money that washed downstream during the May floods.

"I'm glad it's off the premises," said the mother. "The boys are really relieved. It's like this weight has been taken off their shoulders."

Nimbin Hemp Embassy president Michael Balderstone said it sounded like drug money.

"It'll be interesting to see if anyone puts their hand up for it," he said.

Your Say
"Good luck to the lads, and I hope that no-one else claims it. Just to prove that honesty is really the best option."
wandering aussie

"If it's drug money you definitely couldn't come forward so I reckon the kids have got a chance of keeping it.

"Pot luck, hey."

With rumours rife the money is drug related the family are hoping the one that got away doesn't come back to bite them.

The mum said she was in two minds about the threat the find posed if it did belong to a drug dealer.

"Part of me is not worried because if it is their dirty money well then it deserves to be washed down the creek because they're stuffing up everyone's lives and it's not legit money. Part of me would want to laugh at them," she said.

"The other part of me, yes, I am actually in fear that there will be a knock on the door ... I don't want to have any retribution towards my family."

The mum hopes the money belongs to a farmer in the area who used the 'river bank' as his savings account.

"The best thing would be the old farmer coming in and saying 'ah you know the thing your boys found ... '

"I'd love that. I'd love it to be some real country conspiracy."

A police spokesman said if their investigation failed to find the money's owner the boys would be able to claim it.

However if police prove the money was the proceeds of crime it will be forfeited to the crown, which doesn't bother the mum.

"If it was dirty money I don't want anything to do with it. I don't want my boys to have anything to do with it," she said.

If the boys successfully claim the money their mum said they'd be off to Europe to compete in a sporting event.

"It really could be a catch of a lifetime that would deliver this family a really good windfall," she said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread