Tejon ALL METAL Help

IronClad

Aug 29, 2007
N. Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
Silver Eagle, White's Eagle I, White's Eagle II SL, 6000/Di Series 3, Silver Sabre II
Got a couple of quick questions I need help with.

1) Is the Tejon All Metal a threshold or silent search mode ?? When I turn unit on in All Metal and GB properly, and begin search, I sometimes lose the threshold hum. It fades in and out. Detects a target and then returns, or stays silent until I pause for a few seconds. It is also effected when I raise the coil a bit. I usually have to have the threshold set at about 12 or 1 o'clock position for it to become stable enought to GB. Guess what I need to know... is a threshold hum supposed to be constant the whole time ??

I do fantastic in the Disc. modes, but this all-metal is bothering me. I'm used to the White's and similar detectors with a constant steady hum.
Can ya help me out ??

2) Second ?? Any tips on how to disc or identify aluminum screw caps, other than rotating the disc knob up all the time ?? Tejon hits hard on them when they are 3'' - 4'' deep. I'm being plagued by them lately.

Upvote 0

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
The Tejon all-metal threshlold is adjustable, the discriminate search is silent. It says so in it's manuals. Your Tejon is working exactly like it is supposed to. You have a good one. Tejons are one of the most sensitive detectors on the planet, and at times maybe TOO sensitive too.

The Tejon was designed as a super-deep, super-sensitive relic hunter. Relic hunters are super sensitive to items in the pulltab ring to large pulltab and screw cap range of conductivity, because most rifle cartridges and lead slugs fall into that range (relics). It is not designed to separate these items one from another very well at all, and in fact, it is one of the poorest on the market in this regard, mostly due to it's inherent design as a relic hunter. It is also super-sensitive to iron objects too, and this is why it pops and spits so much especially in high magnetite soils. But the pulltab range is it's strongest virtue, much like a ball-wrecker, a thing that goes in with a crash and a bang and gets what it can while it can. it's one mean SOB for the job. The Fisher 1270 is of the same lot. The Fisher 1236 is like a watered-down-for coin-hunting 1270, much like the Cibolo and Vaquero are like watered-down-for-coin-hunting Tejons.

Additionally, it's all-metal is one of the slowest retuning and return-to-threshold of all newer detectors, and for the same reason as the above, to be able to not miss and cancel out small pieces of steel, lead, pewter, copper, and bronze, etc items. It's discriminate mode however, is fairly fast, not an Olympic sprinter by any means, but still quite fast. It can pick out two SIMILAR items one laying very close to the other very well and very quickly in discriminate. It does not however do very well in telling the difference between two UN-identical objects, at least not compared to say a DFX, MXT, or a Garrett 1200, 1500, or 2500, for example.

It is NOT an ideal coin hunter, but it IS an ideal RELIC hunter, and almost as good as a Nautilus plus it's a lot lighter.

If you want a good one for your needs get a high-end White's, Minelab, Fisher or Garrett, or a low-end Tesoro, Garrett, White's or Fisher designed specifically for coin hunting. Those ones will separate those pulltabs and screwcaps much better. You have way too much gain in the Tejon for what you are hunting in. I have only dug ONE screwcap with my CZ. Yes, I said "one". And I've only dug 4 nails too. Fishers are one of the easiest to discriminate with by slightly differing sounds alone. Turning down the sensitivity will help a little bit on the Tejon, but it won't cure the problem. You need a detector designed for primary use in high trash areas and the Tejon is not the best weapon of choice. You would be well served to get one with a selective target reject too, a "notch" system. One with a "band-width" notch would be the best. The old Golden Saber had one and it was a real Honey. I still have one and it is one of the BEST for getting rid of those pesky items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions