Tejon and coins???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
How is everyones experience with the Tejon and coins? Copper, silver, gold, nickles, etc.? I am now going back and forth with the Tejon or Vaquero. Cellar holes, fields, a few parks, etc.. Vaquero seems well rounded and I am trying to figure if the Tejon will meet the same needs. Thanks

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
The Tejon will do anything the Vaquero can do plus a bit more. I have used the Tejon extensively at old cellar holes and it does great. Some of my best finds have been made with it. It has a dual discrimination feature that you can toggle between, which is a wonderful feature. Set this in certain ways and you can tell almost exactly what you are digging after practice. Whichever you decide to buy, you MUST get the 5.75 concentric coil as this is your best ticket to finding coins among trash - and there is almost no depth loss compared to the stock coil. I never take off the 5.75 coil.

Ian

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Lost at sea, I totally concour with Ian!! It is most amazing how well the small coil operates compared to the larger ones. Only exception: Of course ground coverage is less, but do you really want to cover more ground, if you are not finding the good things? If you have ever owned a 1266-x Fisher, then consider the Te'jon a "66 with a ground balance!! Good luck and great hunting!! Regards, Richard.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies and I still welcome more if anyone is willing. I will be looking at the Tejon this week hopefully, so thank you for the replies.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Tejon would be a Vaquero on steroids.
Vaquero would be more controllable.
You decide if you can handle a 'jittery' machine!

Good luck
rmptr

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The best part of having the 5.75 coil on the Tejon is if you had a ' jittery' machine with the stock, you won't with the small coil. The Tejon runs super stable with that coil.

Since I had the 5.75, I have not used the stock coil once. The small coil hits DEEP. And you can run the Tejon close to max sensitiviy and it runs really smooth. Plus, its really easy to ground balance with the small coil. You can sweep fast or slow with it and it will hit hard on good targets. Pin pointing is dead on. Can't say enough about this coil.

By the way...I have the concentric.

JC

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
therover said:
The best part of having the 5.75 coil on the Tejon is if you had a ' jittery' machine with the stock, you won't with the small coil. The Tejon runs super stable with that coil.

Since I had the 5.75, I have not used the stock coil once. The small coil hits DEEP. And you can run the Tejon close to max sensitiviy and it runs really smooth. Plus, its really easy to ground balance with the small coil. You can sweep fast or slow with it and it will hit hard on good targets. Pin pointing is dead on. Can't say enough about this coil.

By the way...I have the concentric.

JC

Agree.
Newt

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot guys, I will be checking them out with Tony at TC metal detectors on Wednesday. If the Tejon is the detector I decide I go with, the extra coil may have to wait a bit for my wallet to recoup. When I started looking at another detector, I was looking at the Silver Umax at $240, lol. But I want to get what is right for what I want it for, too. Thanks again everyone.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Silver uMax is an excellent machine.
Let there be no doubt!

I've seen more than a few accounts of experienced fellows with any number of machines declare their Silver uMax to be their most productive.

If buying a Tejon, you may be able to purchase it with the 5.75 coil only. I would try...

I have a 4" coil I've never cared for much.
Think I'll make a 'stubby' detector with it for searching under porches and the walls of old buildings.

Good luck!
rmptr

Rare_Hunter

Mar 1, 2009
Green Bay, Wi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Golden U-Max
SaginawIan said:
MUST get the 5.75 concentric coil as this is your best ticket to finding coins among trash - and there is almost no depth loss compared to the stock coil. I never take off the 5.75 coil.

Ian

Hello, Ill be getting my tejon tomorrow.. what 5.75 coil is everyone speaking about here..
The widescan or the regular concentric?.. im new at this so i have no idea!. thanks.

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Widescan. Think of a 5.75" circle going straight down.
Newt

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
I ended up buying the Tejon myself. I looked at the 5>75 coils, but figured I would learn the detector the way it is. Then if I choose a new coil, I would know the difference and appreciate the difference. Just my 2 cents.

Also, congrats Rare Hunter in advance. I have been doing the air tests and found a bald spot in the yard. I think I am really going to like this machine and hope you do, too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread