tejon or vaquero, Im going to buy one but which one should it be?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you can make the final decision. Both the Tejon and Vaquero are excellent detectors for coin, relic and dry sand beach hunting on the coasts. Many relic hunters like the Tejon. I suggest you go to the Tesoro website and read the field tests for each detector. http://www.tesoro.com/field_tests.html

If push comes to shove, get both to play with. When you find the love of your life, sell the other one or keep it as a back up.

Hey, This is a great idea! :D I need more back up detectors..................

mag

Jun 8, 2007
From my experience the Vaquero will be easier to learn or it was for me. I had the Vaquero for two years before getting my Tejon. I can say the Tejon is a pleasure to hunt with. If you still have doubts post on findmall.com, tesoro forum and ask Gene Scullion his take on both the machines. He did the first trials of the Tejon when it came out.

Sandman said:
Only you can make the final decision. Both the Tejon and Vaquero are excellent detectors for coin, relic and dry sand beach hunting on the coasts. Many relic hunters like the Tejon. I suggest you go to the Tesoro website and read the field tests for each detector. http://www.tesoro.com/field_tests.html

If push comes to shove, get both to play with. When you find the love of your life, sell the other one or keep it as a back up.

Hey, This is a great idea! :D I need more back up detectors..................

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If money is not a problem I would go a head and spend the extra hundred bucks or so and get the Tejon. I love my Vaquero and it preforms very well but you get just a little better depth from the tejon. About an inch is what I was told by some one who owns both but he also told me that the Vaquero was more stable .

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
nuggetbuster,

There is a price difference between the Tejon and the Vaquero of $175 +-. What you get for the extra money in the Tejon is the dual (two)ED180 discriminator circuits, VCO /tone adjust,and a higher freq. It all depends what your budget is and what you need the detector to do. If you have any furher questions PM me. Joe

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's an idea (what follows is my opinion only, take it for what its worth). If you don't like the noise of the MXT (I have one and can identify), try and find an Eldorado that you can put the 12X10 concentric coil on (for uMax machines). That's what I've done and it should get decent depth and have about the same functionality as the Vaquero. The Tejon is a more sensitive detector, like the MXT, and will be a bit noisy in bad ground. Myself, I don't need the dual discrimination that the Tejon offers because I'm chiefly a relic hunter and discrimination robs the machine of depth. I prefer to use my ears to tell me what I'm finding. Those LCD displays are great if you're coin hunting, but I'm finding you can miss some good finds at depth if you rely on it too much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread