Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I am thinking of selling or trading my vaquero and upgrading to a tejon. I have been told not too by one dealer because the tejon is not as stable and only a little bit deeper. Has anyone used both that can chime in? I am going to be back in civil war country soon (North Carolina)and am starting to get relics on my mind but don't like to pass up coins either. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not get rid of the Vaquero to get a Tejon. I have the Tejon and it also can find coins with ease. The V is just as good for relics if you use low disc or All Metal just like the Tejon. I have used the Vaquero many times but own the Tejon because I seem to like the dual disc modes as it remindes my of my old C&G Bobcat which was a coin finding fool even with the small coil.

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon 1--Vaquero 0. Thanks Sandman. I really have done well with the V but the dual discrimination of the tejon really is inticing and I have heard so much about the tejon being "the best relic machine". I am sure that depends on who you talk too but people really talk them up.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm partial to the Vaq as I've never had the Tejon.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
For relic hunting I prefer the Tejon. The Tejon goes deep, has the dual discriminators and you can adjust your tone pitch, which I find the higher pitch helps break up the iron signals. As far as unstable, I do not find that. The Tejon is going to pick up small items.

The Vaquero is a good all around detector if you like to coin shoot parks and relic hunt. You can run the V hot for relics or normal which I thought was a better coin shooter. I had this detector for a while and now just have the Tejon which can coin shoot, but I mostly use it for relic hunting.

So for me, I like the Tejon for relics and if I were going to hunt Civil War relics, my Tejon would be in my hand without a doubt because with the higher frequency of the Tejon, it would hit Civil War relics well. :coffee2:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
birdman,

I have to come down on the side of "John (Ma)" on this one. The Tejon is defiantly the Tesoro choice for deep relic and coin hunting. No tesoro goes as deep as the Tejon and the Lobo Super Traq. The Tejon has the edge over the LST if you are also coin hunting because of the dual discriminators. The Tejon uses a different frequency,has tone adjust,dual discriminators,super slick trigger switch, that the Vaquero does not have.
Should you trade your Vaquero for the Tejon? I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that the Tejon is the better detector in this situation. Joe

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the easy winner is the tejon !

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will say the vaq being 14khz is the all around machine will find the coins better but the tejon will be more sensitive to gold as well and of course will get those relics now the next question is where your going to be hunting whats the mineralization of the soil like because i've read alot of threads where the vaq will hold its own in severe conditions where the tejon won't ground balance wery well, just my 2 cents worth

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The great thing about tesoro's is the prices are so reasonable. If I miss the V after I sell or trade it I can always get another one down the line. :headbang:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey i just got my fourth vaquero after going through a dozen machines in the last year and a half

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread