Tejon Super Tune

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I bought a second detector recently, a new Tejon. I have used it a bit and am comfortable with how it sets up.

Having come to terms with a "normal" setup, I researched super tuning. It seemed the information posted was mixed with some opinions saying you can super tune a Tejon while others said no. This was on several different websites

I called Tesoro and spoke with them about it. There answer was they did not believe the Tejon would super tune, and mentioned to be sure, give it an air test.

I accomplished an informal air test. What I found was that with the main discrimination knob detented into all metal I got a dimension of X on a silver medallion about the size of a quarter.

When tested non detented, or in a discriminating range, for the main discrimination knob, threshold dialed to 100%, the distance of the air test decreased, less than X by a couple of inches.

During the conversation with Tesoro, they were of the opinion that in the All Metal detent for the main discrimination, the threshold would function, when not detented the threshold was bypassed entirely.

My results say the Tejon will not super tune, and may not need it when in all metal mode. If this is incorrect, can someone explain their setup?

The machine is powerful in my opinion, just trying to define it's limit and work it optimized.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
PK

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to help you out.

I bought a second detector recently, a new Tejon. I have used it a bit and am comfortable with how it sets up.

Having come to terms with a "normal" setup, I researched super tuning. It seemed the information posted was mixed with some opinions saying you can super tune a Tejon while others said no. This was on several different websites

I called Tesoro and spoke with them about it. There answer was they did not believe the Tejon would super tune, and mentioned to be sure, give it an air test.

I accomplished an informal air test. What I found was that with the main discrimination knob detented into all metal I got a dimension of X on a silver medallion about the size of a quarter.

When tested non detented, or in a discriminating range, for the main discrimination knob, threshold dialed to 100%, the distance of the air test decreased, less than X by a couple of inches.

During the conversation with Tesoro, they were of the opinion that in the All Metal detent for the main discrimination, the threshold would function, when not detented the threshold was bypassed entirely.

My results say the Tejon will not super tune, and may not need it when in all metal mode. If this is incorrect, can someone explain their setup?

The machine is powerful in my opinion, just trying to define it's limit and work it optimized.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
PK

I know it's been a couple of years since you wrote this post and may have long since found the answer to your question(s) about this machine but I'll still go ahead and give you my setup technique on this machine and hopefully some of my tips will help you out. 1st; take your detector over a bare (free of most metal objects). 2nd; drop the coil all the way to the ground and lift it appx. a foot off the ground with the power on, and your finger pulled back on the mode trigger. 3rd; bring the coil back to the ground. Do you hear a increase in the hum when you drop it to the ground? If yes, the ground adjust knob needs to be turned counter-clockwise until you get get an increase in the hum as you lift the coil. Keep pumping the coil up and down until you get the hum increase as you lift the coil and not when you lower it and you are pretty much set for maximum sensitivity with your ground balance. Many say that the threshold knob doesn't add to the depth of the Tejon but you could still set it to right when you barely hear it. It (may) help with the depth although I've never really noticed a difference. Also, it's very important to set the sensitivity knob all the way clockwise until you hear a tee-tee-tee-tee-tee then back it down (just) a hair. With the ground adjust set properly like I showed you and the sensitivity set to as high as possible, you should be operating with some super depth from this machine. It (does) have a hard time with dimes and if you choose not to use the pinpoint mode and just the disc mode triangulation to find the target, it can be hard to be right on top of the center of the target with the large standard 10X12" DD coil. Well good luck with it and hope you luck up and find some real nice goodies. PS- This is a super machine for finding nickles with. Not half bad on pennies, quarters and silver coins/jewelry either. Haven't found any gold rings, or any other gold items with it yet but maybe I'm just not in the right place yet.:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::icon_thumright:

misterchivo

Jan 17, 2015
Roma, Tx
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre and Garrett ACE 250/Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gregmid40 for your info, like you said this might be a year old thread but by you bringing it back to life is gonna help me and other tejon users. I just bought mine last night and found this thread about the tejon Thanks I'm looking for more info regarding this powerful machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon book.PNG Amazon.com

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman hit the nail on the head! Get the ebook, it's like $9.99 and you can download the app for a PC if you don't have a Kindle.

One thing I might add, is don't try to ground balance with the sensitivity cranked way up. Balance with sensitivity at 4-5 and it is a lot easier.

I disagree with it not being keen on dimes. Last year in an area that had about an inch of topsoil under the turf and nothing but wet sand under that, I hit a loud clean signal that in disc 2 indicated it was probably a coin. The signal was loud enough I figured it was 3" deep max. Popped the plug and checked with the pinpointer, nothing. Rechecked with the Tejon and it was still there. I dug more and pinpointed, dug more and pin pointed. At about 6" still nothing. Checked with Tejon and it was loud and clear. Dug a little more and the pinpointer started to hit. When all was said and done the back of my Garret pinpointer was about 1" below the ground level. Laying flat in the bottom of the hole was a dime. That's when I knew how deep the Tejon really was. And no the coin didn't fall out of the side of the plug. The sand was wet and the plug was straight clean cut with no cave in. I went the last half inch with my fingers and felt it below the packed sand.

The depth on this detector amazes me. It does like rusty iron though, so don't think every deep dig is going to be the holy grail of silver coins. I wanted a deep detector and that is exactly what I got. It works well, real well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions