Tejon with 8" concentric donut coil - first impression

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Tejon with 8" concentric donut coil - first impression

Picked up an 8" donut coil mint condition for $65 shipped - couldn't pass it up. I love this particular coil on the Silver Umax, so I wanted to get one for my Tejon.

Summary: good ground coverage, pinpoints perfectly, great balance with Tejon, depth similar to 5.75 concentric

If you are bored, read on . . .

Well, one thing - it's very sleek. Super low profile - about as thin as the 5.75 coil - for those of you who know what I mean. It makes for good weight distribution, being a little heavier than the feather light 5.75" coil. It swings nicely.

First thing I did was drill out the 1/4" hole to accomodate the heavy duty nylon bolt upgrade - which I recommend to anyone.

It's freezing in Michigan right now, but the ground is not frozen solid - yet. I headed to a wooded cellar hole site that I have been hunting for a year now.

The coil ground balances the same as the 9x8 and 5.75 - easy as pie.

I feel good about the performance of the coil. It covers a little more ground with each swing, and is easy to pinpoint with. It seems to get about the same depth as the 5.75 coil, honestly - maybe a tad deeper - but it's kind of early to say for sure.

I would recommend this coil if you can get a good deal on it used. If you cannot, it seems that the 5.75" coil would be the better buy since it will have better target separation, which is what you want out of a smaller coil. Plus, the 5.75 depth is really good.

Ian

findit

Jul 1, 2007
Re: Tejon with 8" concentric donut coil - first impression

ian i tried pm you. was wondering because i see you have the t and the silver. how come you seem to use silver more? isn't the t suppose to go deeper?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

SaginawIan,

Good score on the 8" coil. Nothing like having the tools to do the job. Your right on about the depth on the coils. It will be a little more noticeable on larger targets. That 8" coil will "loose it's cover" a little easier than some of the others so you may want to put a couple of dots of glue on it. Let's hear why you use the Silver so much.
Joe

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used

The only way I can think of to describe why I like the Silver Umax is by telling you why I like to metal detect. I metal detect to get away from serious thought and stress, and while detecting I like to think about nothing more than the birds chirping and sun shining. I have had some of my best metal detecting trips only finding clad during nice weather.

That being said, I like a simple detector. It is truly turn and go, and I always leave a site happy with the performance of the Silver Umax. The stability and ease of operation as well as SUPER performance, make this the best detector I have used. The whole combination of good depth, fabulous discrimination, ultra-light weight, that killer 8" donut coil, and super simple operation make it my go to detector most of the time. Two knobs, one 9 volt battery, 2 lbs - enough said.

Also, have you ever hunted a construction site and felt anxious because you know it's just a matter of time before other detectorists show up on your claim? Well, when time is short, I use the Silver Umax and fly through a site - finding tons of stuff. Fast sweep speed, no ground balance, no nonsense. Just get it done and fast.

I have not used every detector out there, but I have used enough to know how valuable this little detector is.

ian

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

SaginawIan said:
The only way I can think of to describe why I like the Silver Umax is by telling you why I like to metal detect. I metal detect to get away from serious thought and stress, and while detecting I like to think about nothing more than the birds chirping and sun shining. I have had some of my best metal detecting trips only finding clad during nice weather.

That being said, I like a simple detector. It is truly turn and go,
ian

Great post and so true.

I think most of us have good jobs and are looking to excape stress, not find more.

And too, it's highly doubtful that those hard to learn machines really get all that much more depth.

I pretty much stand alone on this one but of all the Tesoro coils I think the 12x10 is the best. I lost track of the indian cents I dug with the Silver uMax and 12x10 concentric coil. The only thing I didn't like about it was it sure loved iron. I dug lots of nails with my rig and today my left knee won't allow me to do that anymore. If I could still get down and do a lot of digging I'd dig almost everything today.

But, since I can't dig like the old days I have to rule out most iron. To date the best machine I've found to ignore iron is the Minelab Sovereign GT. It's tones on targets are true and deep.

I have a Fisher Coinstrike I'm testing right now. It's not a simple to use machine by any means. Already in air tests I can see it's about the same as most other VLF detectors fitted with 8 inch coils. It does have excellent target tones in air tests. In coming weeks I'll hit the dirt with it and that will tell the real story.

Badger

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used

Gotta get me that 10x12 coil!!! Could use a few more deep indian head finds! Uh ohh - Badger and the coinstrike! I can't wait to hear about that one. From what I see, that may be one of the best used detector purchases out there, if it is good. It retailed for over $1000 and I see them all the time for like $375. There is a site dedicated to the coinstrike, but I forgot the link. When I find it, I'll post it. Let us know about that one when you get a chance, (in the fisher forum, of course! 8)

Ian

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Good post guys!
The Silver is a great detector,I haven't heard a negative comment about it in a long time. It's biggest competition is the Ace 250, a lot of people are drawn to the extra whistles and bells it has. Badger I'm anxious to hear your comments on the "Coinstrike". Seems like you made a killer trade for it. I'm starting to have fits because I haven't detected in a couple of weeks,got to git down to the shore on a warmish day! Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions