Teknetics Eurotek Pro review by Gone Hunting

TOMBAC

Nov 24, 2012
new jersey
Detector(s) used
dfx, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting video, how does this new detector compare to the t2 se, i noticed the euro model saves the settings which the t2 doesn't, i think i might recomend this machine to my friend since he is new to detecting and his funds are low, thanks.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought one. I haven't fully tested it yet, but as I expected, there are already some very tall tales about it, just as there are and have been about all other detectors, especially high end Whites and Minelabs. If it walks like a duck, it probably is a duck...

It is top-heavy, meaning that it tips over easily, but it is well-designed otherise, save for the coil mounting screw being right in the way of the coax cable where it mounts. It has a lot of volume, and expect 9.5" inches on an average coin in air (just like it says in its manual). American (nickels) do slightly better at around 10" with the 8" search coil, and 1/2-1" more with the 11"..

Mine with the 8" concentric coil tested 9.5" on a clad dime, 10" on a clad nickel. A Fisher Gold Bug Pro gets 10" in air on the same dime using a 5" DD coil compared to the EP at 9.5" with its 8" concentric coil. Personally, I would like a 5" DD for mine if it would work, and since it likely would, I'll buy one ASAP!

Add another 1/2" to 1" (in air) with the 11" DD, but don't expect more.

THIS DETECTOR GETS BETTER DEPTH IF YOU SWING IT FASTER! You could lose 4-5" if you pass over a target too slowly..

Yes, I know there are a couple of people out there making videos complaining about other people "whipping" coins in front of the search coil, but that's because they are inexperienced and unknowledgeable about how different metal detectors work. Don't pay any attention to them, they are merely voicing their "opinions", nothing more. Metal detectors are not all alike, their circuitries are all different, so each one has to be treated differently than another one.

This unit requires number memorization for best target ID, but it does seem to prefer items larger than coins. Items about the size of a large cell phone come in at about 15-18" in air. As the name indicates, it seems to be designed more for a European market and could easily double as a CW detector for relic hunting, but of course, a T2 would easily outdo its performance just as it outdoes all other detecors hunting CW relics.

Our best indicator of in-ground coin depth is an air test - because there is no other way to pre-determine that - save for using "Fe sample bars", etc. So expect 3" less in air than a T2, and 1 1/2" less in the ground for same size/type coils.

Note: It DOES NOT get 2" more in ground depth than an Alfa 2000, nor 4" less than a t2, even though the whopper stories continue otherwise. It is very sensitive to interference due to its hypersensitivity, and if you try to change modes indoors around EMF and other interference, or near metal, it may not work very well ..

I'll do some more experiments/examinations in 2 or 3 days.
:icon_thumright:

Larry

Last edited:

rws51

May 12, 2009
I just got my Eurotek Pro with the 8" coil this morning. I'm hoping to take it out after lunch if the rain holds off.
The detector air tested very well on the couple of coins I tried so far, especially for a 200.00 machine.
I have a couple of spots that are loaded with nails and if it can pull a coin out of that mess it will make me happy.......HH

Roger

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, here is some more info:

There is one thing I do not care for: From what I can tell, the only way to reduce the iron volume is to bring the regular volume up to a "10" all the time. That simply is too loud for me, even though I'm an old goat who has damage in my left ear. Normal volume for me would be at around 4-7, not 10. This leaves me with either having the iron volume control nearly useless, or having to put a piece of tape over the speaker, or wear some kind of an ear muff to quiet all the volume down. Neither idea appeals to me. Yes, I know that many Americans have had ear damage from so much loud music, but so have I from playing pro trombone and singing in a pro choir.

1st Texas didn't get the iron volume control quite right as far as I can tell, although I may be wrong too. If I am, I'm not sure if they would be willing to fix it, but they could correct that problem fairly easily, and I'm going to ask them if they will do that for me. Other than that, it's a pretty good piece of work, and won't be a bad unit for fairly good relic hunting.. As far as separation speed (cherry-picking), it's fast, but not as fast as most Tesoros and noticeably slower and less efficient than my ancient Compass Metal Detectors. The depth meter sometimes reads considerably lower than the actual depth, and is sometimes actually 10" when the meter reads 7". This happens mostly when there are too many other metal items too close to it. Still, I would prefer it over any (new) low priced Whites, Tesoros, Minelabs, Bounty Hunters, or Garretts, mostly because it has a bit more depth, plus it is fairly lightweight. The "memory" option is a good thing to have too.

Last edited:

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
I just got a Eurotek Pro with the 11"DD coil, I have only had it on a quick hunt so far and I find it a good little detector. Its been awhile since I have had a DD coil and took a little while to get used to it, after digging a few targets it all came back to me. It seems to be deeper than other detectors in its price range in my ground. I got it from Bart (Big Boys Hobbies), he is a great guy to do business with. Steve.

Last edited:

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here is some more info:

There is one thing I do not care for: From what I can tell, the only way to reduce the iron volume is to bring the regular volume up to a "10" all the time. That simply is too loud for me, even though I'm an old goat who has damage in my left ear. Normal volume for me would be at around 4-7, not 10. This leaves me with either having the iron volume control nearly useless, or having to put a piece of tape over the speaker, or wear some kind of an ear muff to quiet all the volume down. Neither idea appeals to me. Yes, I know that many Americans have had ear damage from so much loud music, but so have I from playing pro trombone and singing in a pro choir.

1st Texas didn't get the iron volume control quite right as far as I can tell, although I may be wrong too. If I am, I'm not sure if they would be willing to fix it, but they could correct that problem fairly easily, and I'm going to ask them if they will do that for me. Other than that, it's a pretty good piece of work, and won't be a bad unit for fairly good relic hunting.. As far as separation speed (cherry-picking), it's fast, but not as fast as most Tesoros and noticeably slower and less efficient than my ancient Compass Metal Detectors. The depth meter sometimes reads considerably lower than the actual depth, and is sometimes actually 10" when the meter reads 7". This happens mostly when there are too many other metal items too close to it. Still, I would prefer it over any (new) low priced Whites, Tesoros, Minelabs, Bounty Hunters, or Garretts, mostly because it has a bit more depth, plus it is fairly lightweight. The "memory" option is a good thing to have too.

Very informative. Thanks Larry!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have figured out that if I turn the volume down, that both the normal volume AND the iron volume are quieter. BUT, instead of turning the normal volume over 10 to quiet the iron down to a "1", 2, 3, etc, I can adjust much better by simply turning the regular volume down to 4. This would take the iron volume down to a 4 too. It's not a perfect setting, but I can live with it, and I am a fussy old dog at times.. I would have hoped to be able to turn the volume down to 4 and the iron volume down to a 1 or 2, but that appears to be impossible..

It's still a good detector though, and it will find targets as small as a #6 shotgun pellet at 2".... but that's about the end of the line, because it's not designed as a nugget hunter..

For some comparisons, my old Compass GoldScanner Pro finds #8 shot at 6 inches in high Fe desert soil. The original Fisher Gold Bug or Compass au 2000 or au 52 are probably the only other detectors than can do that. The Garrett AT Gold can't do that, and neither can the $1000 Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMT, Lobo Super Trac, or MXT Pro. And the ultra high freq Deep Tech Vista Gold really struggles doing 5" in high iron soil.

So, 2" on a #6 shotgun pellet, is not too bad at all for what I consider to be mostly a lightweight relic machine..:icon_thumright:

BTW, the control box is larger than I expected, and the sleeve (forearm cuff) fits me better bolted at the most forward position, and I'm 6'0'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I didn't see this post till now. Glad you got the iron audio setting figured out on the Teknetics EuroTek Pro. I love its ability to turn down the iron volume but good targets bang out loud. Very nice setting to have. The XP Deus does this too and I use it all the time.

Please keep posting your reviews guys. People want to know honest reviews from experienced guys like yourselves! ;)

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post Bart. I discoverd more pluses too. The auto GB is set only (slightly) positive, so no big reactions to soil even in really high minerals. This means that it most likely will work fairly well on salt beaches too, plus more volume is needed anyway there, and it's nail city on our salt beaches in Oregon. I give FT a big plus for that ability to turn the iron volume down while searching there. I'm thinking about taking it to Alaska next month, it should do just fine there.

BTW, I'm in the market for a stock dry land headphone setup with volume control for my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. Hopefully not too tight on the ears, the waterproof ones are a tad bit snug for dry land, and there is no volume control.. Let me know if you can get me one for a good price. PM me. Thanks

Last edited:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Thanks so much for your info LuckyLarry! I really appreciate it. I'm thinking about buying one and was wondering, if it's not a lot of trouble, would you mind sharing all your settings with me. I would like to know exactly how your setup is. Thanks for an honest opinion, I'd much rather hear from a real user.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post Bart. I discoverd more pluses too. The auto GB is set only (slightly) positive, so no big reactions to soil even in really high minerals. This means that it most likely will work fairly well on salt beaches too, plus more volume is needed anyway there, and it's nail city on our salt beaches in Oregon. I give FT a big plus for that ability to turn the iron volume down while searching there. I'm thinking about taking it to Alaska next month, it should do just fine there.

BTW, I'm in the market for a stock dry land headphone setup with volume control for my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. Hopefully not too tight on the ears, the waterproof ones are a tad bit snug for dry land, and there is no volume control.. Let me know if you can get me one for a good price. PM me. Thanks

Not sure about if they wil work for what u want but there's another post in here & Garrett now has a great pair of grey ghost headphones they look real nice

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Christo, I'll check that out. they have a special connector, so my guess is that only a Garrett one made for the SH will work..

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the,Garrett section it says there a new series of headphones the grey ghost amphibian for all the at series I just wish when I got my pro it cane with them already it would have been nice

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, they want $150 for them, not really well-spent money.. The Garrettes are around $50. I think I'll just go ahead with the Factory ones instead. thanks for the heads up though...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread