Teknetics Omega trouble.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, I just bought my brand new Teknetics Omega 8K with the 11inch coil. I took it out today for about an hour and first target was a 47 rosie. Happy about that I continue swinging and on my next target the pinpoint button does nothing. I press it down and no response at all...I've only used the machine for about an hour total. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a very reliable machine but it is possible it's defective. Which would suck. The thing that has got me a couple of times is when I haven't seated the coil connector properly into the main housing. Just try reseating it and make sure it slides in all the way before you tighten the retainer. I assume the battery is okay.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Battery is new, I guess I could try reconnecting the coil cord.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never used a Teknetics before and am regretting my choice I think. I've never even had a detector break before let alone within the first hour of owning it.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Farscape said:
I have never used a Teknetics before and am regretting my choice I think. I've never even had a detector break before let alone within the first hour of owning it.

Like I said, IF there is something wrong out of the box it would be extremely unusual but I also get upset if I spend good money on a new item and it doesn't work right. That is a great detector and has a large user base.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Jimbog said:
Farscape said:

Like I said, IF there is something wrong out of the box it would be extremely unusual but I also get upset if I spend good money on a new item and it doesn't work right. That is a great detector and has a large user base.

Right, from the little while that it worked it worked well, nice and quiet...when I hit the silver rosie I though the machine was going to melt because the signal was so loud and clear..lol.....ugggghhhh, I am so irritated.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Lemons happen to the best brands.

Since you're new to this model and don't know what constitutes a "working machine", I'd suggest taking it to a MD Club, or find someone in your area who owns that same machine and have them give it a once over.
If its a lemon, no biggie. Send it back.

One lemon can be forgiven. It happens to the best.
Two lemons is a hint to look at other brands.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any word on the problem with the Omega? Just curious.

N2CU

Feb 13, 2011
Orchard Park, Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F70, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's brand new you should contact the establishment you bought it from and ask for another since this is obviously defective.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Felix from First Texas heard my issue and just FedEx'd me a brand new detector and shipping labels to mail my old one back at their expense. Can't get better service than that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread