Tell about your best find!

A

Anonymous

My bestest find so far is a native american skull crusher-rock tomahawk head-I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

Right now I've been researching California laws to see if it's legal. Based on the laws, I obtained it legally.

I've noticed some very liberal interpretations of the law though. There seem to be people who don't ever want anyone to ever have anything-with the exception of themselves of course....

Attachments

• 20170827_151350.jpg
    20170827_151350.jpg
    993.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20171107_180651.jpg
    20171107_180651.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170905_144015.jpg
    20170905_144015.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170831_170852.jpg
    20170831_170852.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
oh yeah..I may as well mention my best find...

***drum roll***

A 1917 lincoln cent. (look Mommy! My first wheat!)

But I have only been at it for a week or two...

cobb

Greenie
May 18, 2003
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5
My best find is this ring I found last fall, in 3 or 4 feet of water at a local beach. My wife was reading a book on the beach, and when I showed her my find she ordered me back in water till sundown :)

HH Colin

LinkPhoto

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a killer find. Are those real diamonds? If so, you could easily get a spot in Western and Eastern Treasures "Best finds of the year" with this one. Have you had it appraised?

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best find! Hum, now that is a tough question indeed. It could be the 1839-o silver half dime I found at Fort Mann. Being the only coin ever found from this long lost fort on the Santa Fe trail. It could be the 1855 large cent found in extra fine condition in Dodge City, when the city itself was not established until 1872. Meaning Dodge City was probably built around this coin.

I would have to say my best find was a womens wedding set with 7 diamonds appraised at $1,363. Talk about paying for a detector with one find :) A friend and I were searching a lot where we knew a house once stood. I looked for the location where I thought a clothesline might have been, and found the ring. I sat down on the curb for a long time just gazing at it and thinking, could this be real?

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My best find ever was-- you guessed it! A ROLEX!!! 8) It was 4:00 am at low tide on a beautiful Southern California beach. I got there just at 4:00, only to find that two other hunters had been there since 10:00pm the previous evening. Holes everywhere, and they left the trash they had dug up scattered on the sand. ( :x hope nobody who reads this is guilty of leaving their trash behind!) I hunted an hour before digging my third target-- #1 was a quarter, #2 was a nickel. The third target sounded on my discriminator like a zinc penny, and I almost didn't dig it as those usually corrode beyond recognition. But as I wasn't finding anything else I figured I may as well. So after spending 5 minutes digging up cobbles and clams, out pops a watchband. It was too dark to see, as I don't carry a flashlight. I just let my eyes adjust to moonlight. An hour after that I still wasn't finding anything else, so I looked at the watch-- a Rolex Submariner. Had it appraised at $1800 (that's what they would pay me for it), and saw it on the web in the same condition going for $3500! :D

Moral: Just because the place looks to have been dug up, doesn't mean they got everything!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of Rolex's lab rat, I got lucky in Las Vegas when I was approached by a guy who said he lost everything gambling(imagine that) and want to know if I would buy a radar detector for $5. I thought thats not a bad deal, so I gave him the $5 and he gave me a radar detector.

It was dark and I didn't pay much attention to the detector until I got home. Low and behold on the back wrapping up the wires was a Rolex Oyster Day Date Presidential watch. This thing has serial numbers on every link in the band. I never did have it appraised, but later(after I gave it to my brother) I found out that it was probably worth quite a bit when it was taken to local jeweler to have the stem repaired, and the jeweler refused to take responsibility for possibility damaging such a watch.

cobb

Greenie
May 18, 2003
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5
Hello Coinshooter,
Yes they are real and I did get it appraised , I missed the cut off for best finds for last year :( I'm hoping that the ring I found last month will be entered for this years best finds, but I'm having a hard time getting someone to appraise it because of it's age. It's a killer ring, I posted a pic on the Relic Forum if you want to check it out...

HH Colin

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Awesome stories- I am now PUMPED up to go out metal detecting!

Keem 'em coming!

Hammer

May 23, 2003
Utah
Silver Nugget

I was new to this hobby and decided to try something easy. I went to the playground of the city park. It was a large sand box (75x200) and I had covered just about all of it with my finds amounting to about 70 cents worth of clad. I was about to quit for the day when I hit a strong signal. My target ID bounced between a half dollar and a dollar each time I passed over it. I dug down about 8 inches only to find a small "rock" caked with clay. I stuffed it in my pocket and basically forgot about it until few days later when my wife pulled a shiny chunk of metal out of the washing machine.
It's a peanut-sized silver nugget encrusted with quartz.
Not bad for a rookie.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach hunter,
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but just because this ring is old, doesn't mean it will fit into the best finds catagory. I would definetely still go with the diamond one as it is still a much more awesome ring.
I have a ring that I found on an early 1900's homesite that I tried to find out about, but the only conclusion I came to during this search was that folks back then didn't have alot of $ to spend on rings. My ring was nice (as yours is), but nothing beats diamond for sheer awe.

cobb

Greenie
May 18, 2003
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5
Hi Coinshooter,
Ya your proberly right, It's just exciting finding something old! Gets you all pumped up. I found that old ring in an old school ground (I actually found 2 rings) plus lots of silver which is nice, still has lots of surprises yet! which I hope to get back there soon.
Here's a pic of the other ring...

HH Colin

LinkPhoto

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can even do something with these (maybe not the rusty ones). Get a wire or a string, tie the end and punch a hole in the center of your bottle caps (you might want to let them soak for a bit in some detergent). String them on the string until you make a cool snake for a kids toy.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
My best find is an 1899 Morgan Dollar that I found in Heritage Park in Glendale.

It's a tiny 1 acre park, and since I found it in the upper layers of a sand playground i'm fairly certain a child recently lost it (Not something i'd want to explain to my folks, heh).

morgan.jpg

I've found a silver ring, and a few gold-plated childrens rings, but nothing has ever come close to the quality and rush of finding the Morgan.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Well, time to update my "best find". There is an amusing story to go along with this as well...

Today I was over at my brother's house and I was hunting with my two nieces (16 and 13) their friend (16) and my nephew(19). We were all taking turns digging, detecting, marking targets, etc. and having ALOT of fun.
My 13 year old niece finds a target and I mark it with a stick, meanwhile we are still digging the last two or three items we marked. They were just junk. Eventually we get to the newest target and my 16 year old niece digs, nothing. I pinpoint it again. We dig some more a few inches uphill from it. The item escapes our notice and I detect it in the plug, the friend of my nieces pulls apart the plug and finds an amythist(spelling?) ring- 3 large amethists and 4 very small diamonds, set in what I assume is silver. It appear fairly old.
Asleep yet? This is where is get amusing. My 13 year old niece immediately claims it as her own "I found it!" and runs inside the house with it to wash it. The older girls are annoyed, as all of us played an equal part in finding it- blah blah blah, and and my 13 year old niece is almost crying about how she is the youngest, and never gets anything...etc. etc.
Personally I don't care who gets it- but I am going to get it appraised...

To be continued....

Attachments

• 20170822_083425.jpg
    20170822_083425.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170822_083505.jpg
    20170822_083505.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170902_192741.jpg
    20170902_192741.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 16

Top Member Reactions