TELL ME WHAT THE ODDS OF THIS ARE????

tattooedmomma

Aug 5, 2008
About a block away is an older elementary school. I weny detecting for a little while. My last dug hole I found a key. I gave it to my son and came home. Well my hubby saw the key sitting on the mantle and for the hell of it tried it in the front door.... I FOUND A KEY TO MY OWN HOUSE...... FREAKY. I think I should have bought a lotto ticket yesterday...

Upvote 0

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might not have been to your door, but one that works in your door. We have several padlocks at work, and some keys will open other padlocks that have different numbers on the bottoms. A co-worker even has a key from his house that will open some of the locks at work.

If it was a key that you or someone from your houshold lost, it is pretty cool.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why it's best to have double locks on your doors....A long key for the doorknob, and a small key for the deadbolt!

rvrpilot

Jun 6, 2008
HERE'S A GOOD ONE. THIS WAS IN THE LOCAL PAPER WHERE I LIVE, A DRUNKIN BAR PATRON STUBBLES OUT OF A BAR AND GETS INTO WHAT HE THINKS IS HIS CAR ,PUTS HIS KEY IN STARTS THE CAR AND DRIVES OFF,A FEW MINUTES LATER HE IS PULLED OVER AND IS ARRESTED FOR DUI AND AUTO THEFT.THE CAR HE GOT INTO WAS'NT HIS ALTHOUGH THE SAME MAKE AND MODEL,WHAT ARE THE ODDS !! BY THE WAY THE AUTO THEFT CHARGES WERE LATER DROPPED.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same thing happened to a professor in college...She had a new Mustang in the 60's, a red fastback, and there weren't a lot of them around. She came out of where ever she was, unlocked the car, got in and stuck the key in the ignition, and started to turn it as she stuck her foot out for the clutch pedal, well it wasn't there...as the car she was sitting in was an automatic! She turned the key all the way out of curiosity, and it started! She cut it off, and locked it back up, and found her car on the next row!

bcs123

Aug 15, 2006
missouri
Detector(s) used
mxt
thats funny that it fits your door..

my 92 Dakota key will unlock and start my brothers 95 Dakota.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jon Phillips said:
The same thing happened to a professor in college...She had a new Mustang in the 60's, a red fastback, and there weren't a lot of them around. She came out of where ever she was, unlocked the car, got in and stuck the key in the ignition, and started to turn it as she stuck her foot out for the clutch pedal, well it wasn't there...as the car she was sitting in was an automatic! She turned the key all the way out of curiosity, and it started! She cut it off, and locked it back up, and found her car on the next row!

A similar thing happened to me in the 80's. My girlfriends mother grabbed my car keys by mistake and the key worked, until she got to her office and couldn't turn the car off!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my chevy blazer key will unlock my mitsubishi door , but not vise-versa.......

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
HCW said:
ANY Ford Mercury key would start my sister's 69' cougar.

Before the era of electronic transponder keys (e.g. "security chips" in the key) - it was fairly common for lock manufacturers to only have a few dozen key cuts for each lock. Mass production manufacturing only allows for a certain amount of variation before it costs too much money. Locksmiths could buy a "master set" from the manufacturer, and you'd be shocked how small those master sets were!

Greg

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, THANKS GUYS & GALS.....now I can sleep REAL COMFY, knowing that perhaps the next door neighbor might have a key
that will fit my lock. >:(
Great story. And good info following. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread