RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you notice about this guy, other than the fact that he is dead? Look closely.

a32e03_eabdcbddf7094bec81db2d9ac0e0305c.jpg

Colorised photo of a dead rebel soldier, 1st Manassass.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rusty,

I've seen this pic before in one of my civil war mags and I have to agree with Pull tab, this was a staged photo, hence the extra equipment as Smokey pointed out and the cartridge box around his waist with upside down buckle. If not mistaken this young man was restaged for another photograph by the same photographers...

"D"
I had heard some years ago that this pic. was a staged photo of a dead Confetrit Infantryman, supposedly a Georgia Sharpshooter.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sharpshooter-960x640.jpg

This is the picture that y'all are thinking about. This was taken at Devils Den in Gettysburg, on July 5th or 6th. He was supposedly a Georgia Sharpshooter. The one I posted is from First Manassas.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not mad at you for posting a picture "For a Quiz" , If it were not 'already public' I'd see an issue , ie, a persons dead body in Iraq , SE Atlanta .

I like the black & white better , was this / these not photos that Mr Brady took / set up?

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm not mad at you for posting a picture "For a Quiz" , If it were not 'already public' I'd see an issue , ie, a persons dead body in Iraq , SE Atlanta .

I like the black & white better , was this / these not photos that Mr Brady took / set up?

I believe it was Mathew Brady that took the photograph.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture can be worth 1000 words... and feelings go with those words... and war being an ugly business...
to hide it would be like putting blinders on and desensitize those who only hear about what others saw.

Sometimes a deterrent to crying for war... Is the crying done when one see's the aftermath of the one before it.

moosescout

Jan 22, 2015
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1724892

This is the picture that y'all are thinking about. This was taken at Devils Den in Gettysburg, on July 5th or 6th. He was supposedly a Georgia Sharpshooter. The one I posted is from First Manassas.

The only problem is there were no pictures of the dead taken at the first Manassas/Bull Run. The recorded first were Antietam. (So claimed) 2nd Manassas maybe? I don’t know.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the book A Journey in Time by Matthew Brady. This is a book of photo 's that Matthew Brady took right after the Battle of Gettysburg. Many of these photo's were made of specific areas of the battlefield just after the battle took place and then photo's of the exact same area in modern times to give the reader a chance to see how much or how little the areas have changed. Very interesting. The photo of the dead Confederate Sharpshooter is pictured a short distance away where he originally fell, and the second photo is where the body was photographed behind the stone wall position after the body was moved. This was a staged photo.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only problem is there were no pictures of the dead taken at the first Manassas/Bull Run. The recorded first were Antietam. (So claimed) 2nd Manassas maybe? I don’t know.

You are right. I just looked it up, and this guy was from Spotsylvania. An old book I read had it incorrectly labeled. Sorry 'bout that.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obviously, some of you think differently about our war dead. Let's dredge up a photo from Afghanistan, from the last few years, of a dead American soldier. Then we can have another quiz. Is his belt buckle upside down? Is it even regulation? What other non-regulation gear does he have? How many wounds? What size boots? Is that where he died, or was his body posed? Was he a sniper or just a grunt? What state is he from? We can do it in black and white, because the contrast is so much better.
LACK OF RESPECT. Pure and simple.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm posting these photo's from the book I was talking about earlier, Gettysburg A Journey In Time. This is not done out of Disrespect to the fallen. I have the utmost Respect for those that died in that terrible war even 154 years later. When Mathew Brady and Gardner photographed the battlefields and at times the dead, he attempted to show the real horrors of that war. And True Horrors it was then and continues to this day. These photo's are a part of our countries History....and Horror. The main problem I had with the photo's was when the dead were moved and posted for cinematic effect, such as this poor Sharpshooter. Again, I posted this to show that this was unfortunately done in recording our History. Not out of Disrespect in anyway. View attachment 1726428 CH]

Attachments

• 20190624_202852.jpg
    20190624_202852.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190624_203142.jpg
    20190624_203142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Eagleone1025

Jan 21, 2019
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is NOT in any way a disrespectful thing about this photo or the way it is being displayed. It is a major part of our history and that of the worlds history. We, as a people, no, as a species CAN NOT learn from the past or even the present if we can not be a part of it. The horrors of war are REAL and should be talked about, studied and ridiculed at times. There is no learning without witnessing. What this young man did, was, I believe to help those of us in the forum, especially us newbies learn about our history. This learning can bring a greater respect for our past as well as educate the historian/treasure hunter of the world in which we are dwelling in. NOW, if people were to make fun of the deceased, then that my brothers and sisters would be disrespectful.
May the Good God of all creation rest that young mans soul and all those who have gone before us. And may we learn from their experiences and our own to help build a better world, even in our own communities to prevent these things from continuing. May all of us "Treasure Hunters" be respectful with what we find and cherish the history behind them.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is NOT in any way a disrespectful thing about this photo or the way it is being displayed. It is a major part of our history and that of the worlds history. We, as a people, no, as a species CAN NOT learn from the past or even the present if we can not be a part of it. The horrors of war are REAL and should be talked about, studied and ridiculed at times. There is no learning without witnessing. What this young man did, was, I believe to help those of us in the forum, especially us newbies learn about our history. This learning can bring a greater respect for our past as well as educate the historian/treasure hunter of the world in which we are dwelling in. NOW, if people were to make fun of the deceased, then that my brothers and sisters would be disrespectful.
May the Good God of all creation rest that young mans soul and all those who have gone before us. And may we learn from their experiences and our own to help build a better world, even in our own communities to prevent these things from continuing. May all of us "Treasure Hunters" be respectful with what we find and cherish the history behind them.
Amen Eagleone, and Well Said.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread