Teller Refused to sell me her dime!

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I walk into the Wells Fargo that orders me a box of halves every week. I spot a new teller to go check if she has any loose halves. She refuses to sell me her loose halves even though I could see they were not silver. Then I spot a loose silver dime in her tray along with about $5 in dimes. I then ask her if I can buy all her dimes. She quickly says she won't sell me any of her dimes as she is keeping them. She then picks up the Merc and puts it in her other tray. WTF. Has this ever happened to you guys? Oh and one more question. One of the tellers says he has tons of silver dimes he wants to sell. I said I would pay him a fair price for all of them. Whats a fair price per dime I should pay him? I was thinking like 85% of spot?

Upvote 0

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
85% spot is about 19x face value.. so yeah, that's fair. Coin shops pay about 18x.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
. . . I said I would pay him a fair price for all of them. Whats a fair price per dime I should pay him? I was thinking like 85% of spot?

The art of negotiation says that you should ask him how much he wants for them before making an offer.

If he offers them at a good number, say "that's a little more than I wanted to spend, but if you promise to keep my number and give me a good deal next time you get some, I'll take em." If it's wildly high, say "wow, I had no idea they were worth that much. Would you take $1.75 each? (or whatever you feel you would like to pay for them)" If he says no, then pass. Otherwise, if it is somewhere in between those extremes, offer a bit less than he asks for.

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once spotted a silver dime in a teller tray and asked to buy it, the teller refused saying she was "saving it for someone else." Some other lucky CRH has a good relationship with that bank. You want silver from tellers--give them chocolates and spoil them.

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldnt get too upset over a dime. Roughly 1/10 of an ounce....not worth the hassle of arguing with her. Would need to be multiple 90%s at least to bother me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure you're the bearer in demand, but you don't have full rights to demand coins from a teller. The teller can refuse to sell you coins if they want to.
I would have to agree with Terp08, it's not worth the hassle.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a win-win situation, sure you lost money, but the relationship with the bank outweighs your loss. I do the same thing, bring my order bank sweets once in a while, $6 can go a LONG WAY,
HH
BUff
I once spent $12 on a box of chocolate for a $2 teller dime.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
I would start off real low with like $1 per dime. Most tellers know they are worth something, maybe he doesnt know where to take em, or doesnt want to be bothered. To him, its basically free money. Say you'll buy all of them for $1/each. Then I would negotiate up from there if necessary.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's right for them to not sell them if they're in plain view to the customer. You should have asked for change for a 5 and said that you wanted halves. She would have to give them to you, right? Especially since you could see them in the tray? Idunno...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wrong, the teller does not have to sell you their coins, most of them do, but some don't. It's difficult to explain to somebody who does not CRH.
Maybe it's just me but I don't think it's right for them to not sell them if they're in plain view to the customer. You should have asked for change for a 5 and said that you wanted halves. She would have to give them to you, right? Especially since you could see them in the tray? Idunno...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do some people think a teller is obligated to give them silver coins when they see them in the tray and ask for them, they are not obligated to do so.... if they wish, they can save them for theirselves or for someone else and if they do this it does not make them a bad person......... Banks are not in the business to sell anyone silver coins..

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not talking so much about silver as I was the halves. If regular halves are there I wouldn't think they can refuse to sell them to you. As far as keeping coins for themselves, I'm sure a lot of them do but would their manager approve of that? I don't coin hunt so I'm just asking as an outsider.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not talking so much about silver as I was the halves. If regular halves are there I wouldn't think they can refuse to sell them to you. As far as keeping coins for themselves, I'm sure a lot of them do but would their manager approve of that? I don't coin hunt so I'm just asking as an outsider.
My wife's manager really could care less. I'll never forget when I got back into roll hunting about 5 years ago. My wife was a teller and all the gals had stacks of 40% halves in their trays...I bought 'em all, they were clueless. They were aware of 90% tho, and blocked any from leaving the bank, one teller had recently made a nice score in Morgan dollars, about 20. I did buy one roll of Walkers from a teller, gave her $100 and found it contained a key '38D.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still wondering, how do you guys able to spot the teller trays. I though you have to really lean over the counter, which is by all means suspicious, and looking into teller's change section. Can anyone tell me how realistic it is?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still wondering, how do you guys able to spot the teller trays. I though you have to really lean over the counter, which is by all means suspicious, and looking into teller's change section. Can anyone tell me how realistic it is?

some banks have the teller tray in spots easily seen, some tellers have the trays up against the corner of their little work area... some banks have high counters and you have to look down, nothing wrong with a bit of curiosity. it's very easy to spot silver in teller trays, i've seen silver a few times(including a peace dollar), but the tellers always keep them for themselves which I don't have a problem with. It's not worth getting angry over a few dollars.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just figured they were really tall.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure you're the bearer in demand, but you don't have full rights to demand coins from a teller. The teller can refuse to sell you coins if they want to.
I would have to agree with Terp08, it's not worth the hassle.

I agree with Terp also.....but i disagree with the right to demand coins. The teller themselves has no right to say anything, they are an employee, employeed by a company holding your money. If we all pulled out money out of the bank right now you think they wouldnt be kissin our rear's to get it invested back in them. Now im not saying agruing right then and there is going to help any, but if it were a decent amount of coins....i woulda stood at the counter while on the phone with their customer service department.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread