Teller says "An older man deposited these"

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
$20 bucks in CWR of nickels. They aslo said he didn't deposit anything else other than paper money, so I took the nickels. Anyway, I was jonesing to find out what was in the rolls, the actual paper rolls that they were in looked normal, brown paper with blue stripes....says $2 nickels. I open them up and the first roll had a lone 1938 (no mint), I keep all nickels pre 60 like a lot of other people. So that was a cool find.

I continued to open the rest of the rolls and out of the $20 this is what I found:

1938 (no mint)
1939 (no mint)
1946 (no mint) x 3
1946 (d mint)
1949 (d mint) x2

1950-1959 (various mints) x 19

1 war nickel - 1943 P

No key dates or buffs, but this is WAY better than my average for just 20 bucks. I live in Southern California I usually go through a whole box to find these numbers. There were no nickels in the batch that had a date older than 1980something. I'm guessing he found an old coin jar in his attic or something. 28 keepers, including one silver, with 1/5 less of the left over dump coins....I'll take that any day of the week. HH, hope you guys find some good stuff this week!

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have inquired about the paper money. There could have been some old silver certificates.

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep pre 60 nickels because I like them. I know for the most part they dont have any value higher than face value, but I think its cool that some of these coins have been around for 60 + years. Another reason is that I am filling out a few whitman nickel books for family members who collect coins as their birthday/xmas presents, since I don't really have much money (I'm a college student) I decided that would be a gift they would like and that isn't that expensive, considering I only paid face value plus the book itself.

As far as the paper money goes, she said they all looked normal to her, and pulled a few out. Some were the older style bills (maybe 3 out of the bunch) but they were a little torn and worn out so I didn't ask her for them. No silver certificates or red seals or anything like that. I did ask for other coins, but thats when she told me the only coins he brought in were the nickels and one roll of pennies, but she had already given the pennies away. Hopefully they went to a CHRer and not to someone who is just going to spend them.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep pre 60 nickels but not anymore. Still, I can't bring myself to get rid of the ones I have. All coins that are valuable now were not valuable at one point and time! (except for double die errors of course)

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
U said 1950-59 various mints u didn't get the 1950d nickle did u that is the key date
Took me 47 boxes to find I almost baught it told my dealer one more week and I'm buying it then bam lol I'm really trying to do a set from chr just for fun only need like two or three more one not even a hard date just have not ran into it lol kinda aggrevating lol

OP
OP
red89

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I didn't get the 1950-d nickel...I wish I had though, I still need it for the sets I am working on as well. I don't think I will buy it though. If I don't find one I'll just give it to them unfinished and let them add it in if they find one....they know how hard it is to find a 50-d in the wild.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread