Tellers.. Whats the best way to build a relationship?

Zavenoa

Sep 26, 2012
NoVA
Primary Interest:
Other
Tellers.. What's the best way to build a relationship?

So I'm new to this, I've been going about a month now and I've been trying to read as much as I can (I even bought that new book, but sadly I didn't learn very much more than I already found on the net). I've noticed the people that seem to score are the ones with relationships with tellers. I'm in the DC area and I'm positive there are a bunch of fellow CRHers in the area, so I know it will probably be harder for me to get as many good boxes as if I lived in Bumsville, Idaho, so I wan't to build a relationship with the tellers as quickly as possibly. I've actually tried a bunch of different banks like BB&T, Wells Fargo, Sun Trust, TD Bank (they won't sell me rolls or boxes), and BofA and there is only 1 BB&T branch that is willing to sell me boxes regularly and order halves. I've opened accounts, or already have accounts, at each of the banks, but still I need to push them to even sell me a single box of pennies or nickels, forget about halves.

What I'm wondering is how far people go to build that relationship with tellers. Is it just a matter of time until they get to know you? I always make sure to thank them multiple times and try to avoid coming when it's busy, but I've thought about bringing in a box of doughnuts or bagels or something to the one branch that has been helpful to try and expedite the process of building that rapport. I'm sure others have done that, but if you don't mind sharing, what's your trick? If you start with a newer bank, what's your approach with the tellers? Does anyone go as far as giving the tellers kick-backs for hook ups?

I'm sure this is a repeat of a question on the board and I'm sure the info is out there, but I haven't been able to find it yet so I'll continue looking, but any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Zav

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if ur willing to spend some for candies, all the tellers will be on yourside....

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if ur willing to spend some for candies, all the tellers will be on yourside....

IMO... you need to find the right teller. Time will tell. Best relationship to have is the Head Teller or Vault Mgr. You should be choosy in who TO look to build relationships with, sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. Preferably this teller would work in a branch with alot of coin volume and that receives coin order 2x a week or more and has CWR. Also make sure you have an account at all branches you want a relationship, eventually this teller will ask. I am sure you have already thought about that, just trying to oversimplify.

HH

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought some candy for my dump bank last week, and now they always open up the coin counter as I am walking in the door to speed up my half dollar dump. Gotta love that! I always just try and make conversation about soft subjects, and say thank you and be pleasant (many customers are not very nice, from what they often say). I am not sure what else can be done.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Zavenoa said:
So I'm new to this, I've been going about a month now and I've been trying to read as much as I can (I even bought that new book, but sadly I didn't learn very much more than I already found on the net). I've noticed the people that seem to score are the ones with relationships with tellers. I'm in the DC area and I'm positive there are a bunch of fellow CRHers in the area, so I know it will probably be harder for me to get as many good boxes as if I lived in Bumsville, Idaho, so I wan't to build a relationship with the tellers as quickly as possibly. I've actually tried a bunch of different banks like BB&T, Wells Fargo, Sun Trust, TD Bank (they won't sell me rolls or boxes), and BofA and there is only 1 BB&T branch that is willing to sell me boxes regularly and order halves. I've opened accounts, or already have accounts, at each of the banks, but still I need to push them to even sell me a single box of pennies or nickels, forget about halves.

What I'm wondering is how far people go to build that relationship with tellers. Is it just a matter of time until they get to know you? I always make sure to thank them multiple times and try to avoid coming when it's busy, but I've thought about bringing in a box of doughnuts or bagels or something to the one branch that has been helpful to try and expedite the process of building that rapport. I'm sure others have done that, but if you don't mind sharing, what's your trick? If you start with a newer bank, what's your approach with the tellers? Does anyone go as far as giving the tellers kick-backs for hook ups?

I'm sure this is a repeat of a question on the board and I'm sure the info is out there, but I haven't been able to find it yet so I'll continue looking, but any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

-Zav

I would suggestt reading my guide

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Tellers...What's the best way to build a relationship?

well now...THe promise of marriage, of course!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Others can weigh in with their own experiences, but so far I haven't had to build any relationships to order boxes. I ask and they do it. I haven't run into any policies that don't let me order boxes.

On the other hand, you definitely need to build relationships to get to the point of having teller put aside CWRs and interesting coins for you. I have people at two branches with reasonable seniority that claim to be on the look out for coins that I may want, but I'm not really sure they spend much time worrying about me. They are busy with their own jobs to do and only seem to set aside coinis when I bring it up in the context of ordering boxes, talking other business with them, etc. From what I've seen on this board it seems like boxes are getting less fruitful and having a teller that will set aside the good stuff is the holy grail. I'm still working on the holy grail. I haven't given anyone candy, donuts or anything else yet, but I am very nice to them and I thank them all the time. I also let them talk with me about bank products (loans and such), but so far I haven't given them business (I either point to existing business I do with their bank or tell them I will think about it).

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I like your idea on doughnuts. Cheap and shows you care :) They'll like it! Plus it's a good snack on lunch break. I got my tellers each a $20 subway card after one of them got me a nice collection. But my Grandma and Cousin work at the bank so I don't exactly have to do much to get love =)
Wicka

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Attack them in the parking lot wearing a pirate outfit. Or you can keep trying branches until you find more receptive ones. Then you can build upon the relationship, if they are being super difficult to begin with, its probably not going to go anywhere and you just found a dump bank.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
The way you dress and act are KEY!

I usually wear a pink speedo with a tank top, and I whisper sweet nothing's to the females and wink at them. They MELT and do anything you ask.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'd be risking a 50% depreciation of your entire stash..

50% no way!!! she would spend the first 50% then take the other 50%. 100% for her nada for you. Get a prenup and bury your stash. Swear that it was all stolen by some thief that only likes silver!!! but only after you marry her. maybe get her 50% and hope she didnt come up with the same idea.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
50% no way!!! she would spend the first 50% then take the other 50%. 100% for her nada for you. Get a prenup and bury your stash. Swear that it was all stolen by some thief that only likes silver!!! but only after you marry her. maybe get her 50% and hope she didnt come up with the same idea.
I married the vault teller and she could care less about my finds, but friends she is a silver block and funnels everything that she and the tellers can scrounge off the line, into my stash pile...don't hate me cause I've a beautiful stash

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I married the vault teller and she could care less about my finds, but friends she is a silver block and funnels everything that she and the tellers can scrounge off the line, into my stash pile...don't hate me cause I've a beautiful stash

this sounds like the teller at my new dump bank ;)... she got kinda irate with me when i questioned if there were any halfs on hand while i was making a deposit a few days ago.
today i walked in and was working with a different teller & the crabby one come over real quick, she reached over the teller i was dealing with shoulder grabbed my $10 roll and began to pour my single roll deposit into her hand searching & as soon as i said that i already picked out the silver she dropped the few that were in her hand back into the roll set it down and walked away.
obviously shes digging for the goodies lol.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
this sounds like the teller at my new dump bank ;)... she got kinda irate with me when i questioned if there were any halfs on hand while i was making a deposit a few days ago.
today i walked in and was working with a different teller & the crabby one come over real quick, she reached over the teller i was dealing with shoulder grabbed my $10 roll and began to pour my single roll deposit into her hand searching & as soon as i said that i already picked out the silver she dropped the few that were in her hand back into the roll set it down and walked away.
obviously shes digging for the goodies lol.
Many tellers pillage silver for their collector hubbies, been goin on since time began.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions