Tenn. Civil War Hunting ADVICE FROM EVERYONE PLEASE

D

dubby90

Hey guys, just wanted to get as many tips as I can for a civil war relic hunting trip I am going on in Tenn. I am using a Whites XLT with the standard loop coil as well as the 4x6 Blue Max shooter. This hunt is going to be on open fields and in the woods so I want to dig it all. Does anyone have a program or know of one that is good for this type of hunting? I can flip my pinpointer switch to all metal mode but sometimes it seems like the signal fades after having it on like that for a while. I usually don't use headphones, should I? I heard that with headphones you are able to hear very quite tones that deep targets give? What type of headphones do you suggest I buy? Should I switch between both coils or just use the standard large loop? I really want to hit the ground hard during this trip and get every single target, I dont care if I have to dig 500 holes each day. Please give me all you suggestions, tips, anything that might help me shine on this trip because I need to show that I have the power and endurance to find the motherload and more, its a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennessee is a big state Dubby (that's where I'm from).

What's the general area you'll be hunting, I've hunted West TN (around Jackson) and I used to live in Savannah (right beside the TN River). Use this link and notice the areas in around the TN River, most of these areas ar tobacco, corn and cotton fields today. Getting permission is simple as knocking on a door, tons of bullets, buttons, and other CW relics still remain uncovered in these fields. Do a little research and pick you a spot near the river.
http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/tn/tn003.html

Here's where some of my finds ended up:
[url]http://www.midtenrelics.com/bullets.htm [/url]
He will buy nearly anything CW related that you dig up.

The farther east you go, the less you will find (at least in my case).

Let me know where you're going and I'll post what info I have for that area. Basicially, ANYWHERE in middle TN will be a relic hunters dream come true, anywhere long the TN river or small mountain areas overlooking the river are the best.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dubby90
You seem to have great spirit and with that and a bit of luck you will do good. as for programs to use; well I used the preset coin mode and found many coins, bullets, buttons and relics by the handfulls. One thing that I do that I have pounded into the heads of my TH'ing buddies is to DIG EVERY SIGNAL! I mean every signal even if all you get is a 'one-way' signal; this is one of those signals that beeps when you go over it but when you go back over it you hear nothing. When you get a one-way signal hit your depth switch and what I have found is that my XLT sees that there is a real target there for the digging. The one thing I can tell you is to use headphones as you have to listen for the faint signals and when you hear them again hit the depth switch and lock that signal in, center it and then dig it up. I also switched over to the Blue-max 600 and 900 although I did good with the standard 10 inch coil that is standard with the XLT.
I wish you all the best of luck, I hope to see many pictures of your finds. I do not sell my finds and hope you are able to keep everything you find to share pictures with everyone.
Dave Mork
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

Attachments

• 1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Reverse.JPG
    1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Reverse.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Obverse.JPG
    1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Obverse.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Reverse.JPG
    1854 $1 and 1946 Dime Reverse.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 160

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I use the MXT along with the 4x6 shooter coil and the best advice I can give you for relic hunting is dig anything with a positive VDI - many of the small caliber bullets I have found bounce but remain positive on the VDI scale. Many buttons/bullets I have dug bounced between positive and negative due to their depth - my advice = if on the positive scale at all - DIG IT.

I found a US box plate at about 9 inches that was bouncing, I think it was at the max depth of the 4x6 but still sounded good and showed a positive VDI momentarily therefore I dug.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread