Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

The "Tennessee Trio" (named by Modern Miner) of Dman, Josh, and I hit the fields at two different CSA Cavalry camps during Wednesday and today. Our combined finds from both hunts are shown in the first pic. Josh was the "Button Boy" on Wednesday with the Eagle "I' button and the other unknown button. Now, all 3 members of the Trio have dug a coat size Eagle "I" button at one of the CSA Cavalry Camps. Unfortunately, Dman's was the only one with full gold gilt and we have had to listen to that-LOL. The other button in the second pic is an iron button with straight iron shank on the back but has a brass border with a design motif on it. We welcome any guesses. It was in the same hole with the pocket knife and over 30 pieces of campfire lead and dropped round balls. We believe the Confederates were molding bullets there. Josh found the broken gun hammer also.
There are 14 types of bullets carried by Confederate Soldiers represented by our finds in these two CSA Cavalry Camps. They are:
Buck 'n Balls, .31, .36, .44, and .69 Cal. Round Balls
Old pattern & New Army .44 Conical Colt pistol Bullets
Burnside Carbine, Gardner .577 cal., .577 Cal. Enfield, .54, .58, & .69 cal. 3 Ring CSA Bullets
A VERY RARE .38 cal. Multi-Groove Sharps bullet.
Dman was the "Bullet Master" today with 11 total. He whined all morning about not finding many and then laughed at us when we emptied our bags for the picture. We found over 40 horseshoes or horseshoe pieces and lots of iron square nails and campfire lead.
The last pic is of the .38 Cal. "Baby Multi-Groove Sharps" Bullet. I dug it and I immediately knew it was very different from what we find but I had never seen one. The closest match in the bullet book was M & M #193 but this was a smaller caliber. A call to some local relic dealers revealed it was for a prewar Sharps sporting rifle. That bullet shows up in Arkansas and Missouri but rarely in middle Tennessee. It will be pictured in an upcoming issue of North South Trader's Civil War Magazine. One veteran relic hunter (also a dealer) has dug well over 100,000 CW bullets in his long 40+ year hunting career and said that he's only found 3 or 4 like mine and always in CSA Cavalry Camps. It's the Gomez and Mills Patent Bullet for you bullet enthusiasts. Happy Hunting from the Tennessee Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• 2 CSA Camps 2-16 & 18 2011.jpg
    2 CSA Camps 2-16 & 18 2011.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 873
  • Josh\'s Eagle I and  Unknown button.jpg
    Josh\'s Eagle I and Unknown button.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 796
  • Sharps .38cal db (640x640).jpg
    Sharps .38cal db (640x640).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 786
Upvote 0
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

Tnrelicman said:
Man you all had a great day Quindy, thats an impressive assortmant of lead, and great rare find, you guys are on it!!!! Keep digging some great confederate relics!!
Guy
Thanks Guy, I went out and dug a dropped .54 cal. ball, fired 3 ringer, fired Williams Cleaner, and a fired pistol ball in 2 hours at a local Yankee Camp just to stay in shape-LOL. I tried to get Dman to go but he's saving himself for tomorrow if we don't get rained out. Good luck in East Tenn. friend, Quindy.

Thanks to Damon, TDog, and Herbie for looking. HH, Quindy.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Tenn. Trio Scores Very Rare CS Bullet, Eagle "I", & 14 Different CS Bullet Types

Wow those are some great finds ! And the Sharps bullet,now that is a find that you do not see very much at all.

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy, That is an OUTSTANDING bullet find! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Daedalus said:
Wow those are some great finds ! And the Sharps bullet,now that is a find that you do not see very much at all.
Thanks for looking Daedalus. I never thought that I would ever find one of the Multi-Groove types in ANY caliber. HH.
sekypaleo said:
Quindy, That is an OUTSTANDING bullet find! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks SP. One of the bigger calibers may just be hiding in that picket post where you and your Dad are hunting. Good luck there, Quindy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread