• phpDRJLS8PM.jpg
    phpDRJLS8PM.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thirty7 - Out of curiosity why have you classed this point as a Benton? It is a great point and typology is obviously very subjective. I don't think I would have landed on Benton but I've never held the point, don't know the context it was found, etc. Any information you can provide is appreciated - I'm always trying to learn.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Twitch said:
Thirty7 - Out of curiosity why have you classed this point as a Benton? It is a great point and typology is obviously very subjective. I don't think I would have landed on Benton but I've never held the point, don't know the context it was found, etc. Any information you can provide is appreciated - I'm always trying to learn.

Hey Twitch, I think it's a Benton because of the area found, lithic material used, classic bevels from resharpening, all characteristic of Benton narrow blade points from Tn. Are the slight " knobs " on the base making you think Hardin? What do you think it is?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thirty7 - Yes, the base looks earlier than Benton to me. I would have guessed a mid-Archaic point, maybe a little earlier than that even, but I'm no expert. I've never found an eared, knobbed or beveled Benton though I've seen them reported with all three characteristics. Most of the Benton's I'm used aren't that refined either. Like I said earlier though, I'm pretty sure the guy making the point several thousand years ago didn't have a template. Make a point, use the point. Whatever it is it's very nice. On second thought, the only reasonable way to solve this disbate it for you to send me the point so I can thoroughly examine it. This examination could take me several decades to complete.....

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Looks like a Lost Lake to me, that has lost most of the width (and barbs) due to numerous resharpenings. From looking at the hafting area, it looks as if it was notched at one time, more-so than stemmed. Regardless, nice point and good job on the illustration.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Not like it really matters because I see points that are labeled wrong often, and Id's that are way off but here it is in the old Bennett's auction catalog I bought it from. I hope you guys are right, because I too see the lost lake characteristics, and it would be worth alot more, not that the $$ really means anything to me. Wish I could secure more pieces at that price...Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3173&aid=26864&lid=7457463#topoflot

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the sketch??? I still want to commission you to draw one for me. Have just blown the pictures.. Will dig out some Tn Bentons I found. Maybe they are right on the lost lake. I have never seen one beveled like that ??

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Where is the sketch??? I still want to commission you to draw one for me. Have just blown the pictures.. Will dig out some Tn Bentons I found. Maybe they are right on the lost lake. I have never seen one beveled like that ??

I'll repost those soon, they're on another drive than this ps3. There are Bentons from Alabama and Tn. that are beveled, they are believed to be the transitional form or earlier variants. I hope it is a lost lake but lack of basal grinding makes me think Benton.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread