VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After the ground thawed from the first 10-12 cold days in January, Dman and I went on a couple of short hunting trips to a local U.S. CW Camp. No Banner finds but the iron canister is fun to find as artillery relics are scarce here in Northern Middle Tennessee. It was just fun to get out and enjoy a few hours with decent weather.
Note to F75 users-The iron canister balls read a solid "10" on the display and have a very good tone different from most iron signals. Dman found canister shot, lead case shot slugs, and several bullets. He will post later.
Next week- A C.S.A. Cavalry Camp is on our hunt schedule. Good luck hunting, Quindy.

Attachments

• Janusry 2010.jpg
    Janusry 2010.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 816
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Nice relics! Glad to see you can dig once again & not be frozen in!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gramps Q,
Glad to see you and Tonto made it out again. Any day finding CW relics is a great day. :thumbsup: You made me hungry by the way. I thought those seven brown rounds were meatballs. :tongue3:
Congrats buddy,
Doug from NC

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! Glad you got out!!!!

S

seger98

VOL1266-X said:
seger98 said:
Nice relics! Glad to see you can dig once again & not be frozen in!
Thanks Sege, did you get snow where you are there in Arizona? HH.

Sure didn't, just a butt load of rain.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
texastee2007 said:
VOL1266-X said:
After the ground thawed from the first 10-12 cold days in January, Dman and I went on a couple of short hunting trips to a local U.S. CW Camp. No Banner finds but the iron canister is fun to find as artillery relics are scarce here in Northern Middle Tennessee. It was just fun to get out and enjoy a few hours with decent weather.
Note to F75 users-The iron canister balls read a solid "10" on the display and have a very good tone different from most iron signals. Dman found canister shot, lead case shot slugs, and several bullets. He will post later.
Next week- A C.S.A. Cavalry Camp is on our hunt schedule. Good luck hunting, Quindy.

what does "canister shot" mean? please.
I'm not a CW Artillery expert but "Canister was an antipersonnel weapon. It usually consisted of a very thin tin cylinder fixed to a wooden sabot and filled with iron balls packed in sawdust." as defined by "Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War" by Thomas S. Dickey and Peter George. The balls we find came from that tin cylinder (canister) that spread in a pattern when the shell hit the ground. The particular area where we find them was used to test fire the cannons to ensure the guns were operational. If you find one, more are present in the general area. Thanks for looking and happy hunting Texas.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spooky said:
texastee2007 said:

Canister shot (or case-shot) is a kind of anti-personnel ammunition used in cannons. It was similar to grapeshot in which the canister round's effect is similar to that of a giant shotgun shell. Canister shot has been used since the advent of gunpowder-firing artillery in Western armies; however, canister (or case) shot saw particularly frequent use on land and at sea in the various wars of the 18th and 19th century.
Examples of old case-shot

Canister shot consists of a closed cylindrical metal canister typically filled with round lead or iron balls, normally packed with sawdust to add more solidity to the mass and to prevent the balls from crowding each other when the round was fired. At times when the supply of balls was limited, nails, scrap iron or lead, wire, and other similar metal objects were included. The canister itself was usually made of tin, often dipped in a lacquer of beeswax diluted with turpentine to prevent corrosion of the metal. Iron was substituted for tin for larger-caliber guns. The ends of the canister were closed with wooden or metal disks. Attached to the back of the metal canister was a cloth cartridge bag, which contained the round's gunpowder charge which was used to fire the canister from the gun barrel. A sabot of wood, metal, or similar material was used to help guide the round during firing from the cannon. Various types of canister were devised for specific models of artillery field pieces.

When fired, the canister disintegrates and its shards and projectiles spread out in a conical formation, causing a wide swath of destruction. It was particularly effective during the Napoleonic Wars and the American Civil War, where massed troops at close range (usually less than 400 yards) could be broken up by artillery batteries firing canister.
Thanks for bailing me out Spooky. We find 3 types of artillery relics in that area as shown in the pic that I posted on Tnet before. The round iron canister balls, lead case shot slugs, and the square metal shop scrap used as case shot. I did find a complete Hotckiss fuse plug there in 2008. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Canister & Case Shot.jpg
    Canister & Case Shot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • Canister & Case Shot.jpg
    Canister & Case Shot.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 675
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spooky said:
VOL1266-X said:
I did find a complete Hotckiss fuse plug there in 2008.....

I wouldn't mind seeing THAT... :icon_thumleft:
Here is the box that contains the Hotchkiss fuse plug Spooky and the Tennessee Veteran's Pin in my avatar came from the same field. HH.

Attachments

• Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 710
  • Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    Tenn Pin Field 4-08 to 2-17-09.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 620

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Spooky said:
texastee2007 said:

Canister shot (or case-shot) is a kind of anti-personnel ammunition used in cannons. It was similar to grapeshot in which the canister round's effect is similar to that of a giant shotgun shell. Canister shot has been used since the advent of gunpowder-firing artillery in Western armies; however, canister (or case) shot saw particularly frequent use on land and at sea in the various wars of the 18th and 19th century.
Examples of old case-shot

Canister shot consists of a closed cylindrical metal canister typically filled with round lead or iron balls, normally packed with sawdust to add more solidity to the mass and to prevent the balls from crowding each other when the round was fired. At times when the supply of balls was limited, nails, scrap iron or lead, wire, and other similar metal objects were included. The canister itself was usually made of tin, often dipped in a lacquer of beeswax diluted with turpentine to prevent corrosion of the metal. Iron was substituted for tin for larger-caliber guns. The ends of the canister were closed with wooden or metal disks. Attached to the back of the metal canister was a cloth cartridge bag, which contained the round's gunpowder charge which was used to fire the canister from the gun barrel. A sabot of wood, metal, or similar material was used to help guide the round during firing from the cannon. Various types of canister were devised for specific models of artillery field pieces.

When fired, the canister disintegrates and its shards and projectiles spread out in a conical formation, causing a wide swath of destruction. It was particularly effective during the Napoleonic Wars and the American Civil War, where massed troops at close range (usually less than 400 yards) could be broken up by artillery batteries firing canister.
Thanks for bailing me out Spooky. We find 3 types of artillery relics in that area as shown in the pic that I posted on Tnet before. The round iron canister balls, lead case shot slugs, and the square metal shop scrap used as case shot. I did find a complete Hotckiss fuse plug there in 2008. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the great write-up on explaining the canister shot. Nice display of finds :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Gramps Q,
Glad to see you and Tonto made it out again. Any day finding CW relics is a great day. :thumbsup: You made me hungry by the way. I thought those seven brown rounds were meatballs. :tongue3:
Congrats buddy,
Doug from NC
MM, with your wife currently out of town, I'm sure your son and your dog would prefer the canister balls over some of your cooking-LOL Good luck in the woods tomorrow.
4-H said:
Nice relics man. I should be out there too but this flu has got a hold of me.
Hope you get better Mike.
Joeybagofdonuts said:
Not as good as our usual efforts but the weather has been crummy. Thanks for looking.
rtde3 said:
Good Stuff Vol!
Thanks Rob. It's not the shark pit but it's near home. H
THE BPORTDIGGER said:
Nice finds!!!!!!!
appy hunting my friend
Thanks for looking. We'll do better, I promise. HH.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hopefully the ground continue's to thaw for you guy's......Great save's,keep em' coming.It's just starting for us CW nut's :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
Hopefully the ground continue's to thaw for you guy's......Great save's,keep em' coming.It's just starting for us CW nut's :icon_thumright:
Joe, I hope your CW relic crew gets out this weekend. I will be looking for another great post from you. Good luck Bud!!

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the finds buddy way to get out there :icon_thumleft:

Cw

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
We did pretty good this week and I think next week holds a lot of potential.
Dman

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
plehbah said:
I think somebody fired some canister shot around here. They must have been out of those iron balls, though, because they used pulltabs.
Ple, in addition to pull tabs and shotgun brass, we hunt many local places where WW2 Army manuevers were held. The 30.06 blank brass hulls will drive you to madness but you must dig them or you may miss a button or a nice relic. I was hunting a U.S. Cavary Camp with my old detector a few years ago and dug several 30.06 casings and was just about ready to move to another part of the camp after getting what I thought was another 30.06 brass signal. It was a nice dropped Sharps Carbine bullet. Thanks for looking Bud and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread