VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Tennessee Trio had 2 recent hunts and both were located at the same Morgan CSA Cavalry camp. Josh spent the weekend of 3-12 with his girls so Dman and I went hunting for a few hours on Sunday March 13. He had the Best Find with a French LeFaucheux 11 mm Pin Fire complete bullet shown with his other finds. The last one he recovered came from a U.S. CW camp. If you recall, I dug one on March 3rd that also came from this camp. My best find Sunday was a dropped Gardner bullet and iron relic with the hook in the second pic. Dman and I thought it might be a hoof pick but I posted it on the “What is it?” forum. It turned out to be a link strap hook. Thanks to “cavtrooper” for the I.D. Here's his reply:
Cavalrymen during the Civil War would also fight on foot. To do this, three out of every four troopers would dismount and use a link strap so that the fourth man, who remained mounted, would have control of the horses and be able to maneuver them to safety. The link strap attached to the bit of the dismounted mans horse and attached to the bit or halter of the horse next. What you found is the link off of that strap. This is a link to one of those straps on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-CIVIL-...STRAP-INSPECTED-STAMP-/330520270558 Congratulations, this is a wonderful find.”
Morgan’s Troopers were famous for fighting on foot and I have read that the youngest trooper held the horses. I was pleased to add this to my Morgan CS Cavalry collection and I don’t get excited about iron relics very often. I also dug a broken file. We find them in CW camps fairly often. Confederates made knives out of them as the metal was hard and files were readily available
Dman worked in his store on the 16th and rested his shoulder for our Arkansas hunt while Josh and I hunted the Morgan camp. The 3rd pic is of those finds. I dug another complete Pin Fire 11 mm bullet and Josh enjoyed digging the dropped .69 cal. 3 ring “Big Boy” as he’s never recovered too many of that type bullet YET. We are trying to figure out the iron relic with a “pigtail” on it in the last pic. Guesses appreciated. I posted it on "What is it?" forum and the consensus so far is that it's a harness relic. Happy hunting from the Tennessee Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• Josh\'s  Iron Part.jpg
    Josh\'s Iron Part.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 490
  • Dman\'s Relics with 11 mm pin fire.jpg
    Dman\'s Relics with 11 mm pin fire.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 472
  • CSA Cav. Camp 3-13-2011.jpg
    CSA Cav. Camp 3-13-2011.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 446
  • VOL & Josh at CS Camp 3-16-11.jpg
    VOL & Josh at CS Camp 3-16-11.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 447
  • Josh\'s  Iron Part.jpg
    Josh\'s Iron Part.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 1
U

umrgolf

More nice CW stuff :icon_thumleft: those pinfire bullets are something I've not dug :dontknow: hope you get an i.d. on the pig-tail piece

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: You keep diggin' up all those keepers, you'll have to add another wing on to the estate. :D :wink:

Nana :wink:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the little pin fire bullet. :thumbsup: I'm purdy sure coinmaster2db nailed the ID on that one piece.Part of a yoke.The site he posted has the same one.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
Timekiller said:
Like the little pin fire bullet. :thumbsup: I'm purdy sure coinmaster2db nailed the ID on that one piece.Part of a yoke.The site he posted has the same one.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Man you guys are good! I would have guessed a messed up hilt! Nice finds.

~Tom

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good go Quindy!!Yes the "pig tail",is off the end of a Hames :thumbsup:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds and post Quindy ! I have found only 1 pin fire casing here in Maine in 3 years ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: MaineRelic

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
Nice story Quindy, and great finds my friend.
Thanks Mike. That site has been hunted hard. HH, Quindy.
umrgolf said:
More nice CW stuff :icon_thumleft: those pinfire bullets are something I've not dug :dontknow: hope you get an i.d. on the pig-tail piece
They come with a copper or brass case Jeff but the powder is pretty hard on the lead. You will get one someday. HH, Q.
PinFire said:
Awesome finds Quindy! :icon_thumright: I need to get down to your neck of the woods and do some huntin! lol :tongue3: HH!
The way my lawn is growing, relic season will be over in the fields in a couple of weeks here PF. HH, Quindy.
Nana40 said:
:icon_thumright: You keep diggin' up all those keepers, you'll have to add another wing on to the estate. :D :wink:

Nana :wink:
We had a good last 6 months hunting Nana. HH Southern Belle, Q.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt Quindy ! I learn a lot from your threads . The link strap is a great relic and it;s purpose is very interesting . :thumbsup: Dawg

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Quindy,
I think its cool that you guys keep finding all these odd ball items to add to your collections. Always good to find something you don't have or even better don't know what it is. Those are the finds that teach you a little more about something you enjoy like Civil War relics. I don't care what they are made of. They are interesting & cool finds! Congrats! :thumbsup:

I agree with Rob. I like seeing the oddball stuff too, and when it gets ID'd. Great learning experience here on Tnet.
As a matter of fact Quindy, I think you have even taught me quite a bit over the years. Not how to detect of course. :tongue3:

Great hunt again for the Triple "T". :thumbsup:
Congrats Guys,
Dug
P.S. Dman, rest up buddy. :sleepy2:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
rtde3 said:
Quindy,
I think its cool that you guys keep finding all these odd ball items to add to your collections. Always good to find something you don't have or even better don't know what it is. Those are the finds that teach you a little more about something you enjoy like Civil War relics. I don't care what they are made of. They are interesting & cool finds! Congrats! :thumbsup:

I agree with Rob. I like seeing the oddball stuff too, and when it gets ID'd. Great learning experience here on Tnet.
As a matter of fact Quindy, I think you have even taught me quite a bit over the years. Not how to detect of course. :tongue3:

Great hunt again for the Triple "T". :thumbsup:
Congrats Guys,
Dug
P.S. Dman, rest up buddy. :sleepy2:
Nite , nite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread