Territorial Water Boundary in the Gulf?

mojosavage

Greenie
Nov 28, 2005
Greetings all. I had a quick question that I have had a hard time finding the answer.

Within the Gulf of Mexico, do the normal territorial waters boundary (3 m) apply to state ownership or is there some special Caveat (isn't there always!) that allows, say the state of Texas, to extend its ownership out further into the Gulf?

I enjoy these forums immensely and the intelligent conversation (most of it anyway) that is found here.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm not sure about Texas but in FL the state waters are 3mi. in the Atlantic and 9mi. in the Gulf.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida's sovereign lands extend from the coastline or the historic coastline, whichever is more landward, three geographic miles (Nautical) into the Atlantic Ocean and three marine leagues (approximately nine miles) into the Gulf of Mexico. It is my understanding that the three marine leagues applies to all of the Gulf Coast States

Q

OP
OP
M

mojosavage

Greenie
Nov 28, 2005
Thanks for the info!

Now for the federal side of things. Aside from the state waters, does the Federal Government claim any portion of the Gulf outside of the State controlled area? I guess what Im asking here is if you go out 9 nm into the Gulf, are you in international waters?

Appreciate the help.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you go out in the Gulf past 9 mi. you are in federal waters. The U.S. claims an area called the Economic Impact Zone for a distance of 200 miles offshore. There is no more such thing as "international waters." Some country claims something. For example Columbia claims the Seranilla Banks even though it is over 500 mi. from Columbia. What did you find mojo?

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
The Federal territorial zone extends 12 nautical miles from the coast, and beyond that is the Contiguous Zone, which extends a further 12 nautical miles. This limit was set in 1999 by President Clinton (proclamation 5928). Part of the proclamation reads "This extension is an important step in preventing the removal of cultural heritage found within 24 nautical miles of the baseline"

Within the 24 nautical mile limit, US Federal laws apply. There is also an Exclusive Economic Zone which extends to 200 nautical miles, but within that area, not all US Federal laws apply, and in that area, things like wrecks are probably governed only by the International Conventions on Salvage and Finds.

Within the 24 nm limit, recent legislation means that any wrecks that belonged to a Sovereign State when they sank are protected from any salvage claims,and belong to the State that owned them at the time of sinking, or to their legal successors.

Hope this helps, or at least clarifies the position.

Mariner

OP
OP
M

mojosavage

Greenie
Nov 28, 2005
I haven't found anything, just doing some tinkering with some research. ?Everyone looks so close in to shore that I wanted to research potential wrecks in the middle of the Gulf, far away from meddling governments and so deep (parts of the Gulf are up to 3000m) that the casual or even avid salvor hasn't even thought about it yet.

I feel that within the next 5 to 10 years or so, ROV technology will improve to the point that a deep salvage would not be out of the question without breaking the bank. ?I mean we are still talking about big bucks but to locate a wreck in deep water might potentially become a more viable endeavor. ?

Anyway, like I said, just tinkering around with some things.

mojo

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey mojo, did you ever hear of Odyssey Marine Exploration Co.? How about Seahawk or Columbus America Discovery? They are all deep water salvage companies. Columbus America salvaged the SS Central America in 5,000 foot deep water using ROV's over 10 years ago. You don't have to wait 5 or 10 years. Deep water salvage is here now!

OP
OP
M

mojosavage

Greenie
Nov 28, 2005
Salvor 6

Yes, I know of the use of these ROVS. My thinking is that in 5 to 10 years, pricing of this equipment will continue to decline to the point of being a viable option to a smaller salvage operation. Remember the $1000 VCR's? I saw one at walmart for $35 last week. Once you get deep water capable technology more affordable, then more projects become economically viable for the little guy.

Thanks for the input!

mojo

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Now! When you talk about TEXAS! :D
You're, Of Course!, talking about another kind a animal! ;)
They/We CLAIM!
200 Miles offshore, as the State's Limit!
AND!
Uncle Sam recently backed up & enforced THAT (Texas State) Claim/limit!
Anyone know WHY?
This shouldn't be any kind of a problem for a True, Dyed in the wool, TH'er!
Especially, one, a TH'er, from The Great State of Tejas!
Since we all do ::) extensive Historical Research ??? ;D
RIGHT!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread