Tesoro Compadre...good detector for 10 year old?

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Upvote 0
OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Thank you! I appreciate it!

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
It will be perfect for him.Super light and works great.I'm a true minelab guy too,,,, but you will find that you will grap the tesoro when he's not looking, and use it yourself..

RD

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Yep, great for kids.

I took one once when I was a Tesoro dealer and used it all day against a White's DFX. While I dug more stuff, I also dug more good stuff.

Burt

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
My son has one and has had good luck with it. Works fine in dry sand at the beach and in the Carolina clay. He has found a number of rings. His best coin find is a 29 silver half. Great starter detector for a kid or an adult.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with the Compadre. I started my son out on one and he still has it. I have found indian head's 4-5 inches deep with it....Steve

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I got one for my 7 year old and it is a fantastic little detector.

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
willisjj said:
My 10 year old son has finally settled on the Tesoro Compadre as his birthday present this year. He is new to detecting and having no experience with the Tesoro line myself, was wondering if this is a good detector for a novice. Any information on this detector would sure be appreciated!

The Compadre is a fine little machine but not very deep. You're looking at coins in the 4 to 5 1/2 inch deep range. Depth wise it's about the same as the ACE 150 and 250.

It's super easy to use and with Tesoros warrentee you really can't lose.

StogieJim

Feb 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Exp 2, Tejon, & Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hear, hear to all the above. I bought one last spring and loved every minute working with it. As stated: light, easy, great coil, inexpensive, and the lifetime warranty. Can't go wrong unless you overpay. Best price is around $155.

Jim

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Its been quite awhile since I started this thread, but just wanted to thank you all for your recommendations. I have since bought not 1, but 2 Compadres for my two oldest kids and I (I mean they) love em! Good backup detectors as well, and I would really like to look into getting mabe a Silver Umax later myself...although my main detector will always be a Minelab......

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
4-H said:
It's a fantastic machine for the money.
I have several here the kids use during our summer camp.
Light weight and quite powerful!

I have one too. :wink:

Correction, my daughter has one. :-\

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Kid is smart!!! Picked the best for beginners.Life time warranty and you might take it from him to use... like I did with my son. lol :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread