Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
geckokid said:
I got me a Eldorado on Ebay will be here some time next week!!
I can't wait!

Sweet! These are highly sought after today and probably will continue to be for a long time.

Hope you got a good deal.

My personal opinion is that these older uMax machines (with adjustable ground balance) were superior to the new "hot machines" with GB. I don't say they were deeper but they definitely were smoother and had a better sound. Targets were much easier to identify, in my opinion.

Badger

Attachments

• Eldorado.jpg
    Eldorado.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 851
OP
OP
geckokid

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Sweet price it was $259 on Ebay!! Plus shipping. Oh, only one bid and won.
I did not like the Push button on the Vaquero! I like the switch on the Eldorado!!! Better

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
geckokid said:
Sweet price it was $259 on Ebay!! Plus shipping
I did not like the Push button on the Vaquero! I like the switch on the Eldorado!!! Better

This is twice the machine that the Vaquero is. The V is good but the Eldorado was a vastly superior design. This is a subject often discussed on the other forums. If it is in good condition you got a bargin.

And too, Tesoros don't need a "pinpoint button" ;D All pinpoint perfectly in discrimination mode.

Badger

findit

Jul 1, 2007
Re: what makes it twice as good as the vaquero?

curious on the difference that makes it so much better anyone know?

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
findit
I have both the Eldorado and the Vaquero. I don't think it's so much that the Eldorado is better I think it's just different. The Vaquero has the push butten into all metal and pin point and for continuous all metal you have to take it out of discrimination which some don't like. The Eldorado has the toggle to switch between all metal and the discrimination mode which I like very much although when I'm using the Eldorado I find myself reaching for the pin point button. Nothing is perfect. The Eldorado has a greater range of acceptance in the discrimination mode than the Vaquero. Im not at all sure what the benefit of that is though as the difference isn't all that great. Take your pick. I have them both, use them both and like one as well as the other. I use a stock coil on one and a small coil on the other and take them both with me. Have a good day.
Stan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: what makes it twice as good as the vaquero?

findit said:
curious on the difference that makes it so much better anyone know?

It's all a matter of personal taste. Both machines are great. Some prefer the Eldorado over the Vaquero. I'm one of them. There's others of us out there too.

One reason I like it is one can use that great 12x10 inch concentric coil with the Eldorado. I like that coil (not everyone does) so I like the Eldorado more for that reason along. But also, I think the older uMax machine have less noise in the background. This is what I meant by smoother. Again, some may disagree with that.

Anyway you cut it, one would be hard pressed to find a good used Vaquero for the price she (or he?) got the Eldorado for.

But as for me, I'd choose the Eldorado. I sold my uMax and have always regretted it. I'd like one again with the 12x10 for backup to my Explorer.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

Badger

findit

Jul 1, 2007
ok thanks. i do think the toggle from am to disc would be nice, but how is it any different than just turning the knob from disc to am on the vaquero. i see so many that don't like this and i always wonder why maybe you can explain

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
findit,

The toggle is much faster and you don't get dirt all over the face of the machine. Joe

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
findit
Another thing is that you can preset your disc right where you want it for the site you're hunting , be it to knock out an iron nail or to just hit on a nickle or whatever, and then hunt in all metal and not have to touch your disk knob to chang from all metal to the discrimination mode and back. Just toggle from one mode to the other and your disc setting stays the same. I like that feature. I wish I had it on the Vaquero but like I say, nothing's perfect.
Stan

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the pinpoint button is a definite plus on the cibola and vaquero.
If I locate by xing in discriminate and then use the pinpoint button [all metal] and it shoews a different spot it is junk 99% of the time. The pinpoint button is also a quick indicator of it being a shallow piece of metal [can lid- crushed can] It gives a high pitched squeal. I also find that it is a very helpful indicator of depth and size of target. Just my humble opinion. Best luck --Merf

srd1941

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Central WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Merf
I agree with you, l like the pinpoint button too. It would be great if the Vaquero had a toggle along with the pinpoint button. Good hint about the difference in location of target when using the disc. mode and checking with the pinpoint. I'll watch that the next time I'm out.
Stan

OP
OP
geckokid

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
JOE(USA) said:
findit,

The toggle is much faster and you don't get dirt all over the face of the machine. Joe

I agree with Joe The toggle switch is much faster and you can hunt in all metal (No discrimination) for more depth, then switch to discrimination mode. To see what it is. and it keep the machine cleaner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions