Tesoro in the cold

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might find out this weekend. There is an old house site back in the woods i need to check out. Now that the weeds are down and to cold for snakes.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I found with my Deleon if I put the environmental cover on the machine ran much better. Guess it kept the warmth inside and the cold out. :icon_scratch:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Planet1mars,

Hey, how's that Cibola working out for you. Thanks again for buying from me.
I do a lot of cold weather hunting but I really have not noticed any changes in the way the Tesoros work in the cold. The audio sounds slightly different but that's due to the cold effecting the diaphragm in the speaker. Let me know exactly what you are experiencing, I'm interested. Joe

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just the way it beeps it seems more eratic now in the cold... i cant seemed to get a better pinpoint in the cold weather i went out when it was 43 degrees... got me carharts for this LOL... still works ok i found a 22 slug about 12 inches with sensitivty on 7

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
I'm telling you my machine was crazy, it was unstable would beep even when nothing was there the display would get really slow. Once I put an environmental cover on it all those problems went away. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with condensation? If you take the machine from a warm place and use it in a cold environment wouldn't condensation form on the inside??

Hmmm

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is this cover your taling about the dust cover or a diffrent one?

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Hummm!

Strange, this thing about cold weather effecting the detector. I wonder what Tesoro would have to say about this? Joe

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Yes the weather cover/dust cover.

Tesoro's exact answer to me was that they have encountered problems with the LCD screens being very slow when exposed to temperatures below 32 degrees. When I asked I was hunting in 20-30 degree temps. They are the ones that suggested putting the dust/weather cover on the machine and it made all the difference to my machine.

I will say that battery life sucks when it is that cold out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't just the Tesoro's that can experience some troubles in the cold weather. Batteries for one thing aren't putting out the power they will in warm weather. The cold shrinks contacts and condensation can form also from taking a detector from a warm place to the cold. Ice fishermen use these warm packets on the batteries and electronics to keep the flashers and cameras working while out on the ice, an these were designed for cold weather operation, detectors aren't. Anything you can do to keep the detector warmer than the outside air is good.

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so maybe one of those hand warmer things on the batteries. the throw away ones? you know im going to buy one there only a couple dollars to see if it will help for the day

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
With the dust cover on, Tape a small hand warmer pack on the back of the cover. This way it won't be against the box and keep it warmer from the cold.
This might help you out. I tried this on my detectors and it seemed to help.

Sniper

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill have to buy a cover this weekend but i will try it

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
you could wrap it in saran wrap several times or try a plastic bag but I found the dust cover worked best.

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will try it tomorrow morning im going out it will be a high 44 tomorrow

OP
OP
Planet1mars

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i used it today and it was about 45degrees it still not right... ive ried diffrent brand of batteries from the dollar store to the engizer e square one... still no diffrence very eratic.. im going to contact tesoro and send it in... but in the house it seems to work fine just in colder weather it sucks i even used a plastic cover today

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
It doesnt get very cold here in Louisiana. Yesterday morning it was an unusual 33° and I also noticed a little problem with my Deleon. It was more erratic, but it could have been the mineralization, the soil in this particular place. I know that there are some electronic components that perform differently in different temperature conditions. The effect on the batteries also sounds like something that could have an effect. I am anxious to try the dust cover as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread