Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro & Jewelry

I'm going to buy a new Tesoro that is going to be used exclusively for land/dry sand hunting.

I will be searching in Florida, so ground mineralization will not be a problem.

It doesn't have to be a depth monster.

All Tesoro's seem to be good at finding coins, so my question to you Tesoro users out there is which model do you think is best on finding jewelry? Or are they pretty much equal on that count too?

I'm leaning towards the Cibola, but I'd like the thoughts of users.

Thanks!

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Tesoro & Jewelry

All of the Tesoro's are good coin and jewelery detectors, even the Compadre.
I know you said depth is not an issue but take my word for it, there will come a time when you want good depth otherwise you will be missing a lot of items in the sand that have gone down below the 6 to 8 inch range where a lot of gold items end up.

If you will be hunting salty sand then you will need a machine that can ground balance the salt and if you get an detector that does not have that range then find one that has, or at least has a No Motion TR Disc mode with enough disc range to reject the salt.
Go for a machine with a frequency of 12khz or greater for best results on small gold items like chains and brocken rings & bangles (those that are brocken give a much weaker signal than whole rings and bangles).
TID and Notch make life a lot easier when you are searching for specific items.

I prefer manual ground balance but Auto Track and adjustable Auto tune speed is nice.

If your machine has fixed Ground Balance in the Disc Mode then make sure it is set to handle a reasonably high level of ground mineralisation otherwise it will not get enough depth at the beach in salty sand and the detector will be chirpy in those conditions so you will have to lower the sensitivity to get stable operation which results in even less depth.

Just my opinion.
Cheers,
Adrian

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

Smudge,

In your location and how you are going to use it, the Cibola would be the right choice. The right Freq., low price, good sensitivity, and works super in low ground mineralization. Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JOE(USA) said:
Smudge,

In your location and how you are going to use it, the Cibola would be the right choice. The right Freq., low price, good sensitivity, and works super in low ground mineralization. Joe

Joe is right. All the Tesoro's are good for jewelry if you do not use to much disc. The Vaquero might be a might better than the Cibola in the wet sand because you can ground balance some and lower sens too. With the Cibola you can only lower Sens for the wet sand. Joe is a dealer for Tesoro and can get that right out to you. I suggest you also order a Clean Sweep coil if you order the Vaquero. At 3X18" it increases your chances of getting the coil over a target and it pinpoints of the tip or heel real easy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread