Tesoro Laid Off ALL of the Factory Staff

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your Tesoro's. Heck, I still have a 40 year old Compass detector that works like new....lol

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While some of us suspected this could happen, it was definitely without warning to us dealers....

Sorry to the fellow who lost his job, I hope you recover from this quickly.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your Tesoro's. Heck, I still have a 40 year old Compass detector that works like new....lol

First, I'm sorry to hear that people are out of work. I had to dance that dance when I was 48 years old and I know how hard it can be to find meaningful employment. My prayers will be with all those who find themselves unemployed.

Next, I have a Compass that I'd like to get up and running again. It was a good machine and I enjoyed using it. Do you have any idea as to where I can get it serviced?

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the lack of technology is a huge part of this. With the up and coming detecting crowd they like the tech. There are fewer and fewer of the older analog crowd. Either way too bad to hear.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeeze. I thought Tesoros sold like gangbusters.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not good to do in a customers perspective!!!!!

Kitz

Nov 12, 2017
Calgary, Alberta
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Golden Umax, Bandido II Umax, Sand Shark. DeepTech Vista X. Minelab Vanquish 540.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really sad to hear this news. I hope the folks who lost their jobs find new opportunities soon, and that Tesoro manages to get its act together.

-Ken

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are not making money I can see why for the layoffs not their fault can't keep throwing money at something that doesn't give back.
When I started hunting I used a golden Sabre II and found a good amount of Silver coins with it a nice detector.
But I went Minelab soon after that and kind of hung around there and whites so I am guilty for not buying Tesero too so that didn't help them at all.
Always wanted to try the Cortes but the reviews and price kept me from buying one and now they are so out dated I wouldn't bother.
I want to say thanks to Tesero for getting me into the hobby and wish them all well.

Mojave1

Jul 2, 2018
NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre- Garrett At Pro- Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the metal detector market is flooded with too many makers. There's a lot of stuff out there for sale new and used.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really a sad day for me. Garrett got me starting into detecting but Tesoro got me starting into serious detecting and opened a whole new world for me, the analoge world. There is still a place for a good Tesoro detector even with brands like Minelab and XP. I own a Minelab Equinox 800 end XP Deus but still use my Lobo Super Traq as much as these other detectors because i have results with it and most of all fun. I still hope this will not be the end for Tesoro.

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, people forget about the fun aspect.

I did a test on a specific plot of land between my MX Sport and my Vaquero. The plot was about 15ft x 100ft. First I took the MX Sport and dug every target that I normally would dig. I was meticulous in covering every square inch. Then I followed it up with the Vaquero. I didn't find a single target. The next day, I picked a different area, about the same size. I went with the Vaquero and dug everything I would normally dig. Then I followed up with the MX Sport. I found 12 coins, including a pocket spill that was masked by a piece of 1/8" thick wire. So my conclusion? While the MX Sport was more effective, I still had fun with my Tesoro. Don't get me wrong, I like the Whites, but there's just something relaxing about swinging a feather weight, quiet machine. And that audio, man, it's the best. I hope they can bounce back from this.

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
Well poo. Guess I better take it easy on them CleanSweep coils from now on. Had to warranty one once and they will now probably go the way of the Bigfoot. Poo all the way around.

you are right! probably be a run on cleansweeps,before they skyrocket.
may get one myself!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel bad for the employees but I don't see how they didn't see this coming. It was a small enough business that everyone probably knew how many units were leaving the door.
Plus it's not like the employees were out pushing the product...were they?
The guy had to make an account just to tell us he lost his job?

I really liked my Vaquero and may pickup a compadre if I can get one cheap. It just a shame that their website, social media & marketing sucked. You could barely find videos online showing people hunting with a Tesoro recently.
What a shame :(

It's also bad they didn't release a public statement what a crappy way for everyone to find out!

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If I was a tech that got laid off from Tesoro I would already be offering to buy all parts inventory from Tesoro and starting a pay repair shop to do calibrations and replacements. If I was better with a scope I might be so inclined. There will be a market to do repairs and ALMOST all parts are off the shelf. Either that or the Chicom Tesoro will soon emerge...

dgerst

Dec 9, 2008
SW Kansas
Detector(s) used
Multi Kruzer, Teknetics Patriot, Bandido II μMax, Tejon, Deeptech Vista Warrior, Treasure Baron Cointrax 2.2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next, I have a Compass that I'd like to get up and running again. It was a good machine and I enjoyed using it. Do you have any idea as to where I can get it serviced?
You might try Keith Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors. He went through one of my Treasure Barons a year or two ago. Took a while to get it back but he did a fine job.

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to purchase a Sand Shark around Christmas. I am glad this happened before I was able to get it. Well wished to all the employees from Tesoro that were laid off.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 years ago I gave them 5 years. When the founder passes and their kids take it over, that's about how long most last. It's a shame. A blind man could see the Mojave was not going to do it for them. No social media participation, heard about the no response to emails. Junior just dont have what was needed or interesred in moving the company forward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread