Tesoro Lobo TRAQ vs Whites MXT?

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
Tesoro Lobo TRAQ vs White's MXT?

Hi. I just read a post that the Tesoro Lobo Traq is a much better choice than the White's MXT. He supported his opinion by noting that the Lobo is cheaper than the MXT. Also, The Lobo is lighter than the MXT. And the control box on the Lobo can be worn on the person. And that the Lobo has a life time warranty vs a two year warrenty for the MXT. And the Lobo has discrimination for coin hunting, although it is primarily a gold detector.

I thought that was an interesting post. There has been so many great user reviews for the MXT, I was surprised to read that someone felt that there was something else available that (in his opinion) was twice as good, and cost less than the MXT. When it comes to comparing detectors, it is important to state what primary application the detector is desired for. In this case, I believe he was mostly interested in gold hunting. What do you think? Does he have a good case? Why or why not? HH Kevin :icon_jokercolor:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Re: Tesoro Lobo TRAQ vs White's MXT?

Massbaycolonist,

If you gave us the link to that other post then we would be better able to discuss it.
Joe

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.

"........... the Lobo has better depth and is lighter than the either the MXT or M6. The display of the Whites is nice but not neccessary.

I would rather go for a good machine with no display and save my back for old age when I will need it. Plus the control box of the Lobo can be detached if needed for wading, or an even lighter detector, ect. That can not be done with the Whites machines.

The coil of the MXT and M6 is a concentric coil which does not handle mineralization as well as the coil that comes stock with the Lobo Super TRAQ which is a DD. The DD coil of the Super TRAQ will handle beach minerals better if you plan on hunting the beach in Maryland or states with widely varying soil conditions.
The only small downside is that the Lobo TRAQ has preset GB in disc mode, but using the DD coil takes care of that problem.

You also are paying for a lifetime warranty if you buy the Tesoro new which can come in handy if needed. The Whites only has 2 years warranty. Lifetime vs. 2 years; I pick the Lifetime.

Also, if you ever want to buy some accessory coils, the Tesoro coils are in general 50-70 dollars cheaper than the Whites. There is also a wider range of Tesoro coils than there is for Whites MXT or M6........."

His points:

1. Better depth.
2. Lighter weight.
3. He does not value a display.
4. Hip mountable.
5. Stock coil is DD which handles mineralization better.
6. Better warranty (lifetime)
7. Accessory coils are cheaper to buy.

This person is absolutely correct with his points. If a prospective buyer were to value the same points then he should buy the Tesoro Lobo. Do you agree?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have been a Tesoro user for many years, and I can tell you that the Lobo ST is one helluva good detector!

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres

I am a Tesoro user.

Weight is a main concideration for me.

Tha Lobo Super Track is too heavy.

I have 5 Tesoro'es, and usually use

tha 5.75 coil. That puts it right at 2

pounds.