Tesoro Mojave Struttin' In The Silver Looking For Gold

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my large permission corner lot today to put the Mojave through its paces on virgin ground. I knew yesterday when I got the permission that it was going to be loaded with silver coins. The house is vacant because both of the owner's parents had died and he has never gotten around to selling it.

He said that he and his family of 5 bothers and sisters moved into the house in 1956 when he was just a baby. He told me stories about all the kids in the neighborhood and where they played. Now I know where else to look in the nearby area.

The owner of the house lives in a really old house in a older part of town that I'm going detect as soon as I asked him. LOL I know the street that he lives on and it's going be well worth getting that permission. My key chain lights will help pave the way.

My very first dig this morning was a wheat penny. It was next to the service walk going to the front door. That's always a good sign and start, except that my lower back starting hurting. I don't usually have that problem, it's normally my legs that get sore. I stopped and went to my SUV and popped a couple of Advil, because I was in some pain, but didn't want to stop.

I found way too much today to tell you about all the digs. Some of the silver coins that I found were partially masked by iron. How know this is that some of the silver coins didn't give a clean round audio response, so after recovering them I'd check the hole again with the discrimination set lower so that the iron would sound off. Sure enough, there was either iron in the hole or right next to it. You won't believe how quiet and smooth this detector runs!

I only detected about a third of the lot and only in one direction. I expect to find more silver and maybe even a gold ring. When I'm finished covering it completely with the Mojave I'm going to go back over it with another detector. This should be fun!

I ended up finding 20 Wheat Pennies, some clad, 9 Nickels with 2 of them being silver War Nickels, a Sterling Silver Ring, 4 Mercury Dimes and 3 Rosie dimes for a total of 10 silvers.

The Mojave was set in the low ground condition setting, full sensitivity and the discrimination was set just high enough to discriminate out nails. The Mojave didn't make a sound unless it was over a target. The audio response is so pleasing to the ear. I love this detector! It's audio carries a lot of info in its single tone.

tabman

Attachments

• Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 001.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 001.JPG
    727.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 003.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 003.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 004.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 004.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 311
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 005.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 005.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 233
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 007.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 007.JPG
    732.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 008.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 008.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 010.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 010.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 241
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 012.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 012.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 013.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 013.JPG
    730.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 015.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 015.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 016.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 016.JPG
    705.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 018.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 018.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 214
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 019.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 019.JPG
    777 KB · Views: 245
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 020.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 020.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 022.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 022.JPG
    742 KB · Views: 227
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 025.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 025.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 026.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 026.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 028.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 028.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 029.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 029.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 030.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 030.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 040.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 040.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 044.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 044.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 239
  • Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 034.JPG
    Mojave 10 Pieces of Silver 034.JPG
    423.9 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 23

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Tom if I were you, I wouldn't stand in front of that dealer and call him a blatant liar....

Oh no, he's not a "blatant liar". He (well ,.... two of them now) actually believe this. They are QUITE sincere. Hence not "blatant" nor "lying". They really believe this.

Now as to actually SHOWING it, .... that's a different matter. They'll allude to persons they know who have mastered this. Yet you can never track down anyone who's "ascended" to this level.

Sorry.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent 1st review. As you said, there is more to come. Thanks for the information.
Congratulations on the Silver Coins and Ring.

DAVID@RT6DETECTORS

Dec 6, 2007
Maryville, Tenn
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Quest Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all this blah,blah, blah about this whole topic is funny. I seems that Tom has a problem with dealer or he would not keep bashing him like he has continued to do. This just runs people off from these forums. :laughing7:

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Tersoro Mojave's really pulling the good stuff for you! Nice hunt, nice detector, nice review! Thanks for sharing, Tt

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think all this blah,blah, blah about this whole topic is funny. I seems that Tom has a problem with dealer or he would not keep bashing him like he has continued to do. This just runs people off from these forums. :laughing7:

Nobody is going to run me off these forums. I have too many friends, and having too much fun here.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone is interested this is a good method to eliminate the majority of can slaw and trash targets and still dig the good stuff.

Tesoro Silver uMax Audio Response On Different Targets - Discrimination Set At 'iron'. Notice how the audio changes when I raise the coil as I sweep over the different targets.

Target Order
1) Can Slaw
2) Foil Sports Drink Cap
3) Dime
4) Quarter
5) Small Silver Ring
6) Larger Silver Ring
7) Medium 14K Gold Wedding Band

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Notice how the audio changes when I raise the coil as I sweep over the different targets.....

So too will the "audio change" when you raise and sweep the coil over any un-like non-identical targets.

Eg.: No two gold rings will sound the same. No two varieties or sizes or shapes of aluminum slaw will sound the same.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Tom has a problem with dealer ...

What about the subject matter at the root of the claim? Any input to add to that? I don't care WHO it is who makes the claim. It's THE CLAIM I am disputing.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nobody is going to run me off these forums. I have too many friends, and having too much fun here.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So too will the "audio change" when you raise and sweep the coil over any un-like non-identical targets.

Eg.: No two gold rings will sound the same. No two varieties or sizes or shapes of aluminum slaw will sound the same.

Let me say it another way so even you might understand it. MOST troublesome pieces of can slaw will crackle and pop as you raise and sweep the search coil over them with the Tesoro Silver µMax as demonstrated in the video that's posted above. All of the silver rings, gold rings and silver coins that I have tested don't crackle and pop when you do that regardless of their size. Commonsense dictates that you can illuminate a lot of trash if you elect to employ this method when searching for gold rings or whatever.

Some people employ the discrimination knob thumbing method to eliminate a lot of trash when searching for good targets. Most good targets will come back in cleanly after you discriminate them out and then use less discrimination to bring them back in again. Most bad targets won't come in cleanly, but will have a raspy broken audio response instead. Like I said before, I don't hardly ever use those methods to reduce digging trash because I'm dig all type guy, but some do.

Now if you have a problem with that dealer take it up with him somewhere else and do your whining there. This is a 'Today's Finds' forum and I don't appreciate you posting on my thread with baited questions in order for you to bash that dealer. Hopefully you can comprehend that!

tabman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder what a case of Bud Light would get you instead of a lighted key chain? [emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread