doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true the Outlaw and or Bandido II uMax hit the best on nickels, most videos with the nail board test the Vaquero 9x8, not sure on the small 5.75 or 8" coils though and what other Tesoro detectors and the coils struggles with the nickel. I imagine the lower KHz detectors have an advantage with finding nickels then the higher KHz, can any test to this. Please post any other detectors you use that are nickel monsters.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
of all those I've used..

TEJON seems the "hottest" on nickels! Iron and pulltabs too,..but it really does hit hard on nickels. :tongue3:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Tesoro detectors hit hard on gold / Nickels. You just have to set your discrimination correctly. LMAO! :skullflag:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Tesoro detectors hit hard on gold / Nickels. You just have to set your discrimination correctly. LMAO! :skullflag:

True, they all all hit nickels fine if not disc'd out, but my Tejon really seems to make 'em jump!

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With regards to the nail board test and coils would a specific Tesoro at 5.75 in iron infested areas (nails) with smaller coils seperate better to pick up the "nickel" with when talking junky sites and is that were the Bandido, Outlaw and Tejon maybe comes in work better ...or all Tesoro's?

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if you've got iron trash..

I'd pick something other than a Tejon for trashy spots. While it does "hit hard" on nickels, I still prefer a machine that runs quieter in iron trashy areas. Tejon also "hits hard" on iron and pulltabs.. Seems to me that Tejon's discrimination range is a little too compressed for my liking, between the iron and nickel range. With Tejon, I have a harder time discing out steel bottlecaps without also losing nickels, even though Tejon likes nickels. Tejon (in my opinion) is best where targets are fewer and deeper. Modern trashy spots are not where I like to use it, but everyone has their opinion and their favorites. A small concentric like the 4", 5.75" or 7", helps any Tesoro work better in trash though.

With a Bandido (I use the Bandido II μmax) or Outlaw, I can easily disc out steel caps and normal size nails, and still get the nickels. Much harder (for me) to do that with the Tejon.

OP
OP
doggoneitdignit

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With comparing the Tejon 180 discriminate vs the 120 discriminate going smaller coils I could see that as well, were the 10 KHz would hit those nickels as you mentioned easier to do on the Bandido II or Outlaw as I thought while seperating and when working the discriminate. Ok Thanks!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month i was surprised to pull a V nickel with my Tejon's Disc set at Tab. This was well above the nickel range. Funny thing is, it hit hard and then the signal died once i started digging. Not sure what happened there. I checked the hole for other objects and the nickel was the only item. Any Ideas on what happened? So i would defiantly agree that Tesoro's like nickels.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I attend two club hunts each year that plant mostly nickels with some painted as prize tokens. I've used most of the umax Tesoros on these hunts and with the disc set under nickels, they not only hit them, but hit them hard. Much better than a friend's Minelab 705 which gives a fuzzy response when set to coins.
luvsdux

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, they all all hit nickels fine if not disc'd out, but my Tejon really seems to make 'em jump!

That's a great detector that makes nickels jump out of the ground. Do you have a YouTube video of this happenning? :-)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true the Outlaw and or Bandido II uMax hit the best on nickels, most videos with the nail board test the Vaquero 9x8, not sure on the small 5.75 or 8" coils though and what other Tesoro detectors and the coils struggles with the nickel. I imagine the lower KHz detectors have an advantage with finding nickels then the higher KHz, can any test to this. Please post any other detectors you use that are nickel monsters.

The higher the kHz, the more sensitive it is to gold, pulltabs, aluminum, nickel.

Gold detecting machines often go higher on the kHz but in doing so, suffer in the depth department. I'm talking about 50 to 100 kHz machines. I was explained this just the other day to me in an email
from a man that runs a gold detecting store.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Last month i was surprised to pull a V nickel with my Tehon's Disc set at Tab. This was well above the nickel range. Funny thing is, it hit hard and then the signal died once i started digging. Not sure what happened there. I checked the hole for other objects and the nickel was the only item. Any Ideas on what happened? So i would defiantly agree that Tesoro's like nickels.

Probably up-averaging, or that's my theory, anyway.
Around iron or even in just mineralized soil this can happen and the deeper the target the higher the signals can go.
Some brands/units will do this, Keith Southern hunts in Tennessee dirt and he has mentioned this effect has happened to him using many different brands.
My F70 is definitely designed to do this, I love that it does and that helps me find masked items much easier in my red iron oxide mineralized dirt here in Alabama that is also infested with all kinds of extra iron.
A nickel on this thing is usually about a 32 on the VDI numbers and from 1-3" that is usually what I get, starting at about 4" the numbers soar higher.
At 4" nickels get into the 50's to low 60's, past tabs into the can slaw and zincoln range.
Every nickel I have dug here at the 5"+ range, definitely 6" or more has come in at the silver dollar range, low 90's...every one.
Jefferson's, buffs and V nickels.
In the good soil in Kansas this never happened but here it does all the time and not just on nickels but everything.
Check that...on one gold ring in that good dirt I did see it come in 10 numbers higher in the dirt shallow than it did out of the ground because it was sitting between two pieces of iron on either side.

I never noticed this on my Compadre here but that one rarely got much past 3" in this stuff, however a few months ago I did dig a buff at about 4" that came in at high tabs and thinking back using my Vaq I have dug a few modern nickels at about 4" or so that came in too high.
I just chalked that up to nickels being the weirdest coins we find out of all of them because for me they have never been right on as dimes, quarter and all other coins seem to be even the shallow ones.
Now I have been hunting with a Mojave for the last few weeks and can get a few inches deeper than I ever could with my Compadre and I have come to realize that everything is being up-averaged on that one too in this mess I hunt in.
Deeper nickels, small pieces of can slaw even deep sta tabs and beaver tail tabs are coming in high and won't disc out until I am close to max disc....sometimes they won't disc out at all if deep enough.
I now know those deeper nickels found with my Vaq plus probably a lot of other targets I didn't put 2+2 together at the time weren't just acting weird but they were affected by my devil dirt.
NC. soil is not all perfect either, yours might not be as hot as mine but if this spot had even a little bit of mineralization going on, or if there was iron near this coin and especially if it was decently deep, this can and will explain what happened on this one.
If my Compadre, Vaq and Mojave do this it is safe to assume yours probably will too under similar conditions.
A big clue was that iron halo...if such a thing even exists and your experience kinda proved that it does.
Once you stuck your digger in the dirt you broke that halo up somewhat and the nickel then reverted back to a conductivity level that was below your disc point so it went silent.

Once you know and understand this effect it can help you find more if you can wrap your head around the idea that some targets might have the possibility of coming in at higher areas you might not know as normal.
It has helped me find more treasure for sure.
Knowledge is power and for those of us that hunt in the SE. this can be a powerful little nugget of useful information.

Last edited:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DeLeon does very well on nickels. Almost always 32-34.
35-42 almost always a pull tab. Below 32 usually a small piece of a pull tab.
I've found 44 this year. Oldest 1941.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around iron or even in just mineralized soil this can happen and the deeper the target the higher the signals can go.
Some brands/units will do this, Keith Southern hunts in Tennessee dirt and he has mentioned this effect has happened to him using many different brands.
My F70 is definitely designed to do this, I love that it does and that helps me find masked items much easier in my mineralized dirt here in Alabama that is also infested with all kinds of extra iron.
A nickel on this thing is usually about a 32 on the VDI numbers and from 1-3" that is usually what I get, starting at about 4" the numbers soar higher.
At 4" nickels get into the 50's to low 60's, past tabs into the can slaw and zincoln range.
Every nickel I have dug here at the 5"+ range, definitely 6" or more has come in at the silver dollar range, low 90's...every one.
In the good soil in Kansas this never happened but here it does all the time and not just on nickels but everything.
Check that...on one gold ring in that good dirt I did see it come in 10 numbers higher in the dirt shallow than it did out of the ground because it was sitting between two pieces of iron on either side.

I never noticed this on my Compadre here but that one rarely got much past 3" in this stuff, however a few months ago I did dig a buff at about 4" that came in at high tabs and thinking back using my Vaq I have dug a few modern nickels at about 4" or so that came in too high.
I just chalked that up to nickels being the weirdest coins we find out of all of them because for me they have never been right on as dimes, quarter and all other coins seem to be even the shallow ones.
Now I have been hunting with a Mojave for the last few weeks and can get a few inches deeper than I ever could with my Compadre and I have come to realize that everything is being up-averaged on that one too in this mess I hunt in.
Deeper nickels, small pieces of can slaw even deep sta tabs and beaver tail tabs are coming in high and won't disc out until I am close to max disc....sometimes they won't disc out at all if deep enough.
I now know those deeper nickels weren't just acting weird but they were affected by my devil dirt.
NC. soil is not all perfect either, yours might not be as hot as mine but if this spot had even a little bit of mineralization going on, or if there was iron near this coin and especially if it was decently deep, this can and will explain what happened on this one.
If my Compadre, Vaq and Mojave do this it is safe to assume yours probably will too under similar conditions.
A big clue was that iron halo...if such a thing even exists and your experience kinda proved that it does.
Once you stuck your digger in the dirt you broke that halo up somewhat and the nickel then reverted back to a conductivity level that was below your disc point so it went silent.

Once you know and understand this effect it can help you find more if you can wrap you head around some targets might have the possibility of coming in at areas you might not know as normal.
It sure has helped me find more treasure for sure.

YAY im not crazy and my Tejon is not showing signs of bad things to come! The nickel was indeed deep. Around 7 inches and, now im thinking of all those holes i left behind when the signal went away! Grrrr...i think its time to go back to a few places and retrieve those nickels!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
YAY im not crazy and my Tejon is not showing signs of bad things to come! The nickel was indeed deep. Around 7 inches and, now im thinking of all those holes i left behind when the signal went away! Grrrr...i think its time to go back to a few places and retrieve those nickels!

And now you know...better late then never.
Glad I could help!

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F70 is definitely designed to do this, I love that it does and that helps me find masked items much easier in my red iron oxide mineralized dirt here in Alabama that is also infested with all kinds of extra iron.

I now know those deeper nickels found with my Vaq plus probably a lot of other targets I didn't put 2+2 together at the time weren't just acting weird but they were affected by my devil dirt.

Once you know and understand this effect it can help you find more if you can wrap your head around the idea that some targets might have the possibility of coming in at higher areas you might not know as normal.
It has helped me find more treasure for sure.
Knowledge is power and for those of us that hunt in the SE. this can be a powerful little nugget of useful information.

Hi Digger27 ! :hello:

If I'm correct, you're saying that the Compadre also "up-averages" the dial position where a target signal comes-in-full thumbing DOWN, if the ground has fairly-high mineralization and/or there is iron near the target and also, as target depth increases up-averaging increases, also causing the dial position to be higher up the arc where the signal comes-in-full.

ToddB64

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hi Digger27 ! :hello:

If I'm correct, you're saying that the Compadre also "up-averages" the dial position where a target signal comes-in-full thumbing DOWN, if the ground has fairly-high mineralization and/or there is iron near the target and also, as target depth increases up-averaging increases, also causing the dial position to be higher up the arc where the signal comes-in-full.

ToddB64

Yes.
I dug that buff I mentioned here with the Compadre that was a little past 3" deep....might have only been 3" thinking back but because of the iron here it was way high more into tabs.
I have seen this behavior before using Tesoros especially on nickels but never added 2+2 before.
Years ago I dug a nickel that came in at almost a zincoln with no other metal around it with the F2 and that one confused me for years.
It is happening all the time on my Mojave and it definitely happens with my Fisher F70 but it is well known that this one is designed to do that.
I once dug an IH in my dirt with the Fisher that was no more than an inch deep.
Usual numbers on a coin like that is in zinc, mid 50's to lower 60's and even here something this shallow usually is normal...this one was laying in really red dirt and soared into the high 80's which all my coins do here past 4".
I didn't realize Tesoros can do this too in some situations around iron and mineralization, but I do now.

As far as Tesoros finding nickels I never had a problem doing that with any of my detectors.
Here is my clad total for the first 10 months doing this hobby, I wasted the first 3 months of that learning the ropes and hunted with a BH unit that didn't handle my dirt so well and managed only to find about $30 of this total.
The bulk of these coins were found with a Vaquero.
Back then I was digging way more signals of all kinds so I probably dug a lot of the more iffy nickel signals and probably a few that came in higher than an actual nickel but I have found both Tesoros and Fishers can find nickels fairly easily...and deep.
Kind of like they are just attracted to the conductivity level of this coin.
I am a gold hunter so I am thankful for this but I have also found several buffs, war nickels and a few V nickels which is always satisfying.

Attachments

• photostudio_1501072428466.jpg
    photostudio_1501072428466.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yo digger27 !

You take nice photos !

$121.88 in 10 months was a great haul !

Appreciate all the details in your reply. ;D

ToddB64

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yo digger27 !

You take nice photos !

$121.88 in 10 months was a great haul !

Appreciate all the details in your reply. ;D

ToddB64

I got into this hobby in mid Feb. 2010 then saved up all my dirty clad from day 1 and around Christmas that first year Harbor Freight had one of their big sales so that, and armed with a 25% off coupon, I sprung for a double barrel tumbler.
This pic was taken after I cleaned all that clad I was hoarding for months.
I felt like Scrooge McDuck...had a great time separating, stacking and counting all those coins.
Had even more fun spending it eventually.
In the 6.5 years I have been doing this I have averaged somewhere around $200-$250 a year in clad, just that amount came close to paying for all my detectors and accessories I have bought over the years for this hobby.
The funny thing is clad to me is just a byproduct, love to find it any time but it is just something I pick up while I search for other things like old coins, relics and jewelry.
Not bad for something that is a secondary target and goal.

Gotta love a hobby that actually does pay for itself in so many different ways.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions