Tesoro Silver U max pinpointing???

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I am considering a Tesoro Silver U max as a back up detector and one I could put on the ATV or Motorcycle and not worry to much. My question is, since there is no pinpoint, is it easy enough to tell where to dig without digging a big hole? I like all kinds of hunting to include parks and do not want to be digging huge holes? I know getting to know the machine is a big part. Any input or experiences would be great! Thanks

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
done dug it all up said:
switch to all metal and you can "X" the area very slowly to see where the target is. don't forget to put it back in disc mode when you continue hunting though.

done dugit

Done Dugit is correct. I've been using the Silver Umax for years now and it is the ONLY machine I detect with. I actually bought another one as my backup machine. :tongue3:
It is very easy to pinpoint with this machine with very little practice.
Good luck & wise choice on machines. :thumbsup: You can get one brand new with shipping for only $239 and they have a lifetime warranty too.
-MM-

chainsaw

Mar 6, 2008
The Silver Umax is a great turn on and go detecter. You will have no problem pinpointing with it unless you get a rusty nail with a hallo effect. Sometimes when that happens the target will actually be in the side of your hole. Overall you will love the machine. If you can spend a little more I would recommend upgrading to the Cibola. It has the pinpoint fuction and a few other bells and whistles. I am a Tesoro dealer so I get to use them all. My personal favorite is the Tejon but I must admit my back up is my 5 year old silver umax.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An excellent machine and one i'm sure you will fall in love with. Over 30 hours one 9-volt battery, easy to breakdown and carry in a backpack, lightweight, plus will detect right up there with the more expensive machines. Here's a tip: a double blip indicates a target on or just below the surface...

pick you up a 5.75 coil for trashy areas....I replaced my stock coil with a troy shadow X-2-7'' coil for every day use. I also have the original 8x9--4''--10x12--7" widescan and did have the cleansweep but was five finger discounted of it........

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The advice to switch to all metal to pinpoint is very good. However, every Tesoro I've used (6) are very easy to pinpoint with as their response/retune time is near instantaneous so you learn to pinpoint well Xing in disc. mode as well. The Silver will break down nicely to fit in a pack, also.
HH
BB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread