Tesoro Silver Umax....As Good As Everyone Says?

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Hello everyone,

I have been using an XLT and a QXT for a few years now but have always considered picking up a Silver Umax. I have not read anything bad about the Silver on the forums or on the review boards and it seems that the silver is one of Tesoro's best kept secrets. What is it about the Silver that seems to draw people in and make them a Tesoro believer? What would you consider to be the Silver's strengths, and what would you consider to be it's weaknesses? I really love my XLT, but something keeps telling me that I should give the Silver a try.

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
I may not be the best guy to give a review since I've only been 'seriously' detecting for just under 2 years....but I started with a Silver and still use and love it. I hunt in North Dakota, Montana, and some parts of Minnesota and so far have hunted ghost towns, abandoned farmsteads, swimming hole beaches, and the occasional recreational fields (softball,, football, etc.)

What I like about it:
Super lightweight. I can swing this unit all day/all weekend and my arm does not feel tired at all.
One battery (9V) I consider this a plus on cost.
Quick and easy learning curve, turn on, set your settings you want, and go for it.
I feel it detects deep, (my deepest has been a nail at app. 11") but again I have not owned a different detector so I really have nothing to compare it to.
Lifetime warranty, just can't beat it.

I really don't have any con's to mention except what I've heard/read.
Only one tone. Some people prefer multiple tones for different signals. Also some people prefer an ID target screen, some don't.
No manual ground balance.

That is my take on the Silver, not sure if it helped at all, but this is my opinionated rookie review.
I feel it's a great machine for what I hunt for and that's what works for me. Also, if you do decide to buy one and realize it's not the machine for you, I'm confident you could sell it quite easily for what you paid for it.

HH
DB

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Silver is a low cost Tesoro with a solid rep for being easy to operate and find the targets. Everyone that feels they want one should take one out for a spin. I lacks some features that highter cost detectors have and many times those features just get in the way of having a good time.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
The Silver is a low cost Tesoro with a solid rep for being easy to operate and find the targets. Everyone that feels they want one should take one out for a spin. I lacks some features that highter cost detectors have and many times those features just get in the way of having a good time.
Sandman , Is right on there...... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I had a top of the line detector and I love using the Silver. I use it alot for parks and tot lots. I also strap it on my motorcycle and take it out in the woods without worry. It's a fun turn on and go detector with better performance than you would expect in it's price range. The Tejon is my go to relic woods and corn field detector though, it's an animal!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was my first tesoro and i could 'nt beleive what i was finding with this machine put a 12 x 10 coil on this and i was getting almost 16" on a quater air testing 20" on a silver bangle bracelet if your intersted i have a video on youtube listed under travelinjavelin using the silver umax metal detecting finds in maine!

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is light, simple, low cost and does what is expected of it.

I use mine strictly for tot lots. Any other hunting I prefer a little more features.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread