Tesoro Vaquero vs Cibola

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those of you who have used both. Other than the ground balance and the discrimination knob being able to click into the 'all metal' mode on the Vaquero, have you noticed any performance differences between the two? In other words, if the Vaquero and Cibola both had a ground balance and a discrimination switch that was able to click into the 'all metal' mode can you tell any performance differences between the two?

tabman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto. Both are great.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say either metal detector is easier to learn, than the girlfriend. :laughing7:

But kidding aside, I had a Vaquero and a Cibola (still have the Cibola), and I saw no difference in depth. I was just playing with the Cibola about 3 hours ago, in my test garden, and am still amazed at the depth that it will easily detect coins as well as gold rings. It actually beats the X-Terra 705, with stock coil, for depth.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up a new Tesoro Silver uMax for my 16-year-old Granddaughter. I had it out in a local sports field today to get a feel for it, cranked the discrimination up to just below Pull Tab, and started swinging the 8" concentric coil. First, the thing is weightless. It pinpoints like a dream dead center coil, and has impressive depth on dimes (my deepest today was 7" with a strong signal from all directions).

Another gem from Prescott, Arizona! :occasion14:

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had purchased Minelab 705 detector, years ago, and since from 1964 when I purchased my first detector, this is the hardest one to learn. I am consider in purchase a Tesoro Vaquero to go deep for single coins and buried treasures in Connecticut. I had heard that this detector is easy to learn and operate. I will wait until April or May to make up my mind. Any recommendations?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The Silver U is a great little detector you can use all day, runs on one 9volt bat, has no
meter. Basically a turn on and go machine. No tonal disc is only drawback that I see.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both machines. I used the Cibola for shallow less "serious" digs, and the Vaquera with the larger loop when the need for depth comes along. In bad ground, like near the Battle of Brandy Station, with the Cibola I cannot hear 10" deep minie balls. With the Vaquera I get them and the Vaquera is ALMOST as deep as my pulse induction machine.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big difference between how to use women and metal detectors, manuals come with detectors, and you are on your own with women.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both machines. I used the Cibola for shallow less "serious" digs, and the Vaquera with the larger loop when the need for depth comes along. In bad ground, like near the Battle of Brandy Station, with the Cibola I cannot hear 10" deep minie balls. With the Vaquera I get them and the Vaquera is ALMOST as deep as my pulse induction machine.

I've never tried the female version of the Vaquero.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to buy a Vaquero next year, but I am not sure. I need a detector for deep single coins and deep for buried treasure in Connecticut. I like your comments about what detector about the Vaquero and the Cortes for my needs. Price is not a problem. Which one is the easiest one to learn and use.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vaquero is waterproof up to its box but not the box. The tigershark is waterproof to 200ft.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to purchased next year, a vaquero, but it is not water proof up to its box.

Unsure where you'd heard that, but it's not the case. That said, I never use any of my non-waterproof detectors (which I don't even own a water-proof model) over the end of the plastic shaft the coil attaches to. I'm too leery of tripping or dropping it.

You wouldn't be disappointed in the Vaquero, but if you planned on water detecting up to the box, I believe I'd opt for a water detector.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to buy a Vaquero next year, but I am not sure. I need a detector for deep single coins and deep for buried treasure in Connecticut. I like your comments about what detector about the Vaquero and the Cortes for my needs. Price is not a problem. Which one is the easiest one to learn and use.

I recently purchased a Vaquero and the 10" widescan coil and it appears to be fairly deep. So far, I've not seen the requirement to upgrade to an aftermarket coil for it.
I haven't given it a good run yet, but I find myself wanting to use it over the CTX.

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently purchased a Vaquero and the 10" widescan coil and it appears to be fairly deep. So far, I've not seen the requirement to upgrade to an aftermarket coil for it.
I haven't given it a good run yet, but I find myself wanting to use it over the CTX.

I'm with you Pointman. My high-end, bells and whistles machine is a Whites VX3. Does everything but make me coffee But, I find myself wanting to use the Vaquero more often....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread