Tesoro Vaquero vs Minelab x-terra 505 for relics/coins?

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, I narrowed my decisions down to either a Vaquero or an x-terra 505 for my next detector. I currently own a silver umax so I am familiar with tesoro and not using a screen. On the other hand I have heard that the x-terra 505 is also quite good as well. Which detector gets better depth? Which one would be better for some what trashy sites?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree about the 9 x 8 coil. Both machines give the same depth with stock coils, and both excel in mineralized soils. The major difference between the two machines is the learning curve, and more discrimination programming options with the 505. The Vaquero will also hit deep iron slightly more than the 505 will. Other than that, they have the same capabilities.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said Terry, I agree with you 100% :icon_thumleft:

That said, the Vaquero is also half a pound lighter, and in the long run, less expensive.

Last edited:

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a fan of the 9x8 coil on the Vaquero, it has a good compromise between sensitivity and depth

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I narrowed my decisions down to either a Vaquero or an x-terra 505 for my next detector. I currently own a silver umax so I am familiar with tesoro and not using a screen. On the other hand I have heard that the x-terra 505 is also quite good as well. Which detector gets better depth? Which one would be better for some what trashy sites?

The usable depth is similar on both machines. The minelab is much better in trashy areas. I sold my Vaquero to get the xterra 505, I'm soooo glad I did. I have found over 250 coins with the 505 in a spot I thought I hunted out with the Vaquero. The 505 with the 3khz coil will find silver that just cant be found with the Vaquero. The option to change frequencies makes it a real all purpose detector. There is so much more info and the pinpoint works so much better that target recovery time is much better. The 505 is worth every penny even though it's $100 more than the Vaquero. Just IMO, but I have owned both

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also looked hard at the 505 and it still gets my interest. I have no doubt that if I ever get a detector with a display the 505 will be at the top of the list. Now the Vaquero also has a loyal following, is quite capable, and is cheaper. I like the thought of the 3 KHZ coil on the 505, but the price on the minelab coils really adds some extra cost to that detector. I realize all detector coils add cost to the detector but the minelab coils are really pricey. I could toss a coin on this one and when I am ready to buy if I can find a used 505 cheap I would have a hard time not jumping on it because then I wouldn't feel so bad spending the extra money on a 3Khz coil. Seeing they both have depth ability it would come down to which has better target separation for me. I have heard and read several different opinions on this one. Some say the 505 is better, some say the Vaquero is better. All things being equal except that the Vaq. might be easier to use/learn it would come down to target separation for me. Good luck getting the right answer on that one!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried to go back and use my Vaq after having Etrac for a while and I just can't hardly do it. I feel blind and deaf. And I don't use Etrac screen very much. Multitones are just what I prefer over constantly rolling disc knob checking targets.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried to go back and use my Vaq after having Etrac for a while and I just can't hardly do it. I feel blind and deaf. And I don't use Etrac screen very much. Multitones are just what I prefer over constantly rolling disc knob checking targets.

I felt the exact same way! I couldnt stand using the Vaquero after trying my new F2. This convinced me to try the Xterra 505, and I cant even imagine using a Vaquero now! It took some wasted money and many hours to learn the Vaq just aint for me! Too boring always digging trash with that single tone, and a PITA thumbing the disc knob! I mean this is 2013, thumbing knobs shouldnt be necessary with all the great technology out these days.

OP
OP
damiani1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a cheap whites spectrum xlt locally for $200. I think this will keep me happy for a while. I did an air test and was getting 9-10 inches on a silver quarter. And I got 15-16 inches on a belt buckle i had.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I felt the exact same way! I couldnt stand using the Vaquero after trying my new F2. This convinced me to try the Xterra 505, and I cant even imagine using a Vaquero now! It took some wasted money and many hours to learn the Vaq just aint for me! Too boring always digging trash with that single tone, and a PITA thumbing the disc knob! I mean this is 2013, thumbing knobs shouldnt be necessary with all the great technology out these days.

yes, but remember not everyone thinks the same

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a cheap whites spectrum xlt locally for $200. I think this will keep me happy for a while. I did an air test and was getting 9-10 inches on a silver quarter. And I got 15-16 inches on a belt buckle i had.

The xlt is a great choice! Very good reputation, and some nice coil choices as well. I think you will like it alot.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

It's either you like'em or you don't with Tesoro's. I prefer Tesoro's because of having no screen and annoying tones (Etrac).
I'm not digging more trash with a Tesoro as one tone, pinpointing and disc tell me everything I need to know. I was a big Explorer fan and still consider it an amazing machine. I was so pumped over the Etrac when I heard it was coming, but once I tried it I was like no thanks. Multi tone R2D2 noises really turn me off.
But first you have to know me. I despise iphones, blackberries and all that texting stuff. I use a cell phone for work because I have to but other than that it's sitting on the table turned off. Everywhere I look people are now so unsociable because of this new tech. I go to a ball game , look around and see 1/3 of the people with their eyes and fingers watching or typing stuff. Why???
I'm a little off topic but it drives me insane.
Same as any detector that you can hook up and program. I'll never get something like a Deus.
What's next? A detector that'll give you an image of what coin and the date on it without even digging. No thanks.
Imo, Tesoro's are the most fun and I dig no more trash than my Explorer. Once you use a single tone for awhile it tells you a lot.

I'm not bashing you or anyone else that likes the new technology so please don't take it that way, maybe if I were younger I'd be with you.
That's what makes this world so grand, people like different things. But I'll admit I'd like to try these machines just for fun.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt just like that Donzie! But I'll have to say my digging of trash has gone down by at least 50-70% with missing goodies. Especially on targets with irony halos. You can go down to 1,2,4 or multi tones on Etrac if its to noisy for your taste.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I felt just like that Donzie! But I'll have to say my digging of trash has gone down by at least 50-70% with missing goodies. Especially on targets with irony halos. You can go down to 1,2,4 or multi tones on Etrac if its to noisy for your taste.

I always thought; if I want I can select 1 tone all metal and not look at the screen. Beep & dig. I prefer the info of the 19 tones available on my 505 and find coins in the same hole as iron or pulltabs. This never happened with my V. I believe discing out iron caused masking of some good targets. I can hear (& see) the good & bad targets in 19 tones, all metal and decide what I want to dig. I would've probably not missed as much with the Vaq if I dug every target, but I thought that's what disc is for.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's either you like'em or you don't with Tesoro's. I prefer Tesoro's because of having no screen and annoying tones (Etrac).
I'm not digging more trash with a Tesoro as one tone, pinpointing and disc tell me everything I need to know. I was a big Explorer fan and still consider it an amazing machine. I was so pumped over the Etrac when I heard it was coming, but once I tried it I was like no thanks. Multi tone R2D2 noises really turn me off.
But first you have to know me. I despise iphones, blackberries and all that texting stuff. I use a cell phone for work because I have to but other than that it's sitting on the table turned off. Everywhere I look people are now so unsociable because of this new tech. I go to a ball game , look around and see 1/3 of the people with their eyes and fingers watching or typing stuff. Why???
I'm a little off topic but it drives me insane.
Same as any detector that you can hook up and program. I'll never get something like a Deus.
What's next? A detector that'll give you an image of what coin and the date on it without even digging. No thanks.
Imo, Tesoro's are the most fun and I dig no more trash than my Explorer. Once you use a single tone for awhile it tells you a lot.

I'm not bashing you or anyone else that likes the new technology so please don't take it that way, maybe if I were younger I'd be with you.
That's what makes this world so grand, people like different things. But I'll admit I'd like to try these machines just for fun.

well said

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used multi tone so I can't argue anyone's facts on that. I don't dig much trash because I sent my disc. just shy of zinc penny and leave the nickels behind for the minelab guys as a good gesture. I don't care about digging rings because no matter which detector you have, if you want rings your gonna dig pulltabs. With my disc setting a clean tone from two directions is a coin 90% of the time. The only thing that occasionally fools me is a twist off bottle cap that is crushed.Don't know for sure, but I am guessing it would also fool a multi-tone because the conductivity of that target is the same as or close to a penny. I am mainly hunting for silver and take the clad as it comes.

If you hunt with low disc. and dig everything I can see where the multi-tone could help you eliminate some trash once you learned the TID numbers.

THE WINNER IS the one that will give the best target separation and you will only get an answer from someone who has used both extensively- Good luck on that one. I would guess Lucky Larry or Terry Soloman could answer that one. You might also call a dealer that handles both Tesoro and Minelab (Miller MDZ) and see what he says. Depth is about the same, target separation in my opinion decides the winner.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sold my Vaquero. Going to try a 505 to have for daughter when she goes with me! Rainy day I don't know about the 505 but on the Etrac there's so much more than tone and single conductivity number. I'm still learning it but I'm still amazed every time I take it for a spin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
damiani1

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck with the 505 fletch, I ended up taking a curve ball and scooping up a whites spectrum xlt lol

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damian1 congrats on the XLT.

Fletch88 From what I have read people either love or hate the etrac. Those that love them swear by them and do well with them. The thing is though having a family with three kids just doesn't leave room for that kind of price tag for me. My limit on a land machine would be about $600 and that would leave me with a Tejon, Vaquero, or 505. Different people have different preferences for whatever reason, something they liked or disliked. I am sure in capable hands though, that any one of these three detectors will do just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread