Tesoros on the beach

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You'd have to be more specific about which Tesoro. I would think that the fixed-ground-balance 2-filter tesoros would be LOUSY on the wet salt mineralized beach. I've tried my Silver Sabre, for instance, and it was not very good at all (perhaps on the dry, but not the wet). But aren't there other of their 2-filter lineups that have adjustable ground balance knobs for them? If so, then I suppose you could ground balance right to the wet. But be aware you'd have to constantly re-balance everytime you walked closer to, or further away, from the surf's edge.

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I live in the Upstate of SC and I have used the Silver MicroMax with the standard brown round coil and the Cibola on SC and Fla beaches. Both worked very well even in the wet sand. You might get a false signal from time to time but good signals always are repeatable and you can reduce your sensitivity if you need to.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right about the Tesoro's on the beach. It is one thing to detect the dry sand an quite another to move onto the wet. If you GB on dry you must do it again when moving to the wet stuff. Even then as you get closer to the water the black sand kicks in and you could have more troubles depending on the concentrations.

Salt and black sand are on consistant at any beach and varys even within feet. Many times just turning down the sens. helps but hinders depth. The king of the saltwater beaches for Tesoro is the Sand Shark with a larger coil. I just can't handle all the monster deep holes anymore.

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman it shows that you have a Tiger Shark Tesoro, but you mention the Sand Shark...
Do you have both?

And back to the original question...
I have many years of experience, so I know and understand the difference between "Dry and Wet" beach sand...
That said, years ago I used a Tesoro Stingray (I still have it) to deadly affect on salt water beaches in Spain, the problem is I want to travel and be able to break down this machine into something that
might fit in a backpack and break down small but be deadly on the beach in Wet Salt Sand where I like to hunt.

I don't like standard underwater machines as they have non-removable headphones and weighted coils that make them heavy to hunt with...
But I have seen many of the Tesoro lines with "Micro Mini" boxes that are smaller than most other
manufactures..
making them perfect for the backpack concept. But I don't want to fork out $600 on a machine that beeps all over the place in the wet sand, I want a quiet machine that can pick up small (GOLD) rings chains and earrings even in the wet salt sand.... I figured that there might be a Tesoro that would work, but instead of buying them all and testing each one, I am asking Tesoro owners here on the forum what their experience's have been with their individual models...

does this clarify what I am trying to do a little better ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
Sandman it shows that you have a Tiger Shark Tesoro, but you mention the Sand Shark...
Do you have both?

And back to the original question...
I have many years of experience, so I know and understand the difference between "Dry and Wet" beach sand...
That said, years ago I used a Tesoro Stingray (I still have it) to deadly affect on salt water beaches in Spain, the problem is I want to travel and be able to break down this machine into something that
might fit in a backpack and break down small but be deadly on the beach in Wet Salt Sand where I like to hunt.

I don't like standard underwater machines as they have non-removable headphones and weighted coils that make them heavy to hunt with...
But I have seen many of the Tesoro lines with "Micro Mini" boxes that are smaller than most other
manufactures..
making them perfect for the backpack concept. But I don't want to fork out $600 on a machine that beeps all over the place in the wet sand, I want a quiet machine that can pick up small (GOLD) rings chains and earrings even in the wet salt sand.... I figured that there might be a Tesoro that would work, but instead of buying them all and testing each one, I am asking Tesoro owners here on the forum what their experience's have been with their individual models...

does this clarify what I am trying to do a little better ?

I would not get a Tesoro for wet salt sand as it will give you fits. The sandshark is a pulse unit, and can be broken down to travel, and hip mounted if you prefer, but the big question is do you want a PI detector? Maybe look at multi freq. Fisher or Minelab Sov. that can be hipmounted. They will do the job in the salt.

PS... For chains and the small gold a pulse is your best bet, but there's a lot that comes with getting that small gold that isn't very good.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Sand Shark at one time and still have the Surf PI. However I got were I got pooped digging all them deep holes that my time was spent more at digging than at finding. Now in many places the Tiger Shark is the one for the wet sand. But I now prefer the Iron Mask qualities of the Excal and Sov GT at the beach. No more staples, or tiny nails at two feet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread