Test for overloading with a GTI 1500

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
This is the test that I did with my GTI 1500 and three coils. I used a crowncap for the test. First I set the detector to it factory setting and then I notch out all the notches so the detector could not see any targets, then I swept the crowncap under the coil until the detector made a overload sound. The results are for the crowncap are 1.5" away from the 4.5" scorcher coil and .5" away from the 5"x10" scorcher coil and 1" away from the 9.5" factory coil. Can other GTI 1500 owners do the same test and let me know how it turn out. Thinks all. Bebop

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, so regardless of coil used, at around 1" you overload the detector with a "too large" signal, in this case a screw cap. Yep, I can do it too.
So, what does that tell you? Do you normally hunt with all your notches blanked?
(For the record, I may be missing the rather well-concealed point here. )

The whole purpose of the feature is for the detector to alert you that "Something BIG is Too Close For Me to Work Properly -You Better Check It Out Yourself." Well, now you've proven that it works.

But, I fear that you may be expecting your detector to do all the work for you - the old "it can tell trash from treasure" hype you see in all the advertisments. So many of us dream of that, you know, that we try to make it come true.

The reality is different. Pulltabs and iron are the greatest TID trumps in this business, yet many goodies masquerade as one or the other. To assume that all overload items at 1" are trash targets is a gross mistake... I have found a lot of keepers that would overload the unit. With all your detectors, I'm surprised to find myself saying this: You may want to consider a different mindset - - - "If you arent digging, you're only LOCATING targets."

What else am I missing from your test?

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
I used a quarter and I get the same results. Is a quarter to large for the detector. No I don't use my detector with all the notches notch out. My GTA 1000 don't have any over load problem. So your detector does the same, then maybe there is nothing wrong with my. Maybe I should think about it in a different way. Think for the replay

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
was this an air test you did? keep in mind that if it was, the detector will behave differently in a " real use" situation due to the effect that the ground will have on the machine. air tests are only an approximation at best. i have not had any overload problems on shallow coins at all with my 2500, which is for all practical purposes the same machine. perhaps you should re-conduct your tests on buried targets?

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
This test was done on the ground and the air, and I get the same if the target are buried. So Hollowpointred will you try this test and give feedback. Think Bebop

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a quarter and I get the same results. Is a quarter to large for the detector.

Not neccessarily, but maybe. Depending on how close to the coil the quarter is, it might trigger an overload. I know they will with my Tesoro's and I had this happen to me several times only today with my 1350 - and each time it was a screwcap or coin right under the surface. I wouldnt be overly concerned about it - sounds like its doing what it is supposed to do. There is always one other thing you can do: Call Garrett.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Dahut,

;D ;D ;D
Looks like Edward G. Robinson, when he was
a kid ;D ;D

;)
have a good un............

Attachments

• edward G.jpg
    edward G.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 336
  • edw g2.jpg
    edw g2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 341

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dahut, Looks like Edward G. Robinson, when he was a kid

Hey it does!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im curious y you want to overload your machine?

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
The quarter starts overloading the detector at 1.5" on the 4.5" coil and a silver dollar will start overloading at 2.5" on the 4.5" coil. On the 9.5" factory coil the quarter will start at .5" and the silver dollar will start overloading at 2" at the middle of the coil. So if you get a overload sound, do you dig all the overloads and dig all them cans or do you not dig all them overloads and miss all them coins that are to close. I have sent it to Garrett and it cost me $40.00 and it is still the same.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Bebop said:
The quarter starts overloading the detector at 1.5" on the 4.5" coil and a silver dollar will start overloading at 2.5" on the 4.5" coil. On the 9.5" factory coil the quarter will start at .5" and the silver dollar will start overloading at 2" at the middle of the coil. So if you get a overload sound, do you dig all the overloads and dig all them cans or do you not dig all them overloads and miss all them coins that are to close. I have sent it to Garrett and it cost me $40.00 and it is still the same.

could you not raise the coil up a few inches and look at your size feature to determine if it is a can ? the size feature on the GTI`s seems to work pretty well at shallow depths.

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
The size feature only works on the size imaging coils and not the others coils. If you raise the coil to make a overload target, a good target, then you will dig all them cans that sound good all except for the overload sound. When I used my 1500 on a can dump it went crazy from all them overloads.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, why do you want to hunt a can dump? I doubt any detector is going to work there. There ARE limits, after all.

Im not sure if SENS affects the overload or not. For example, if it is up too high, will it cause an overload? I dunno.

The quarter starts overloading the detector at 1.5" on the 4.5" coil and a silver dollar will start overloading at 2.5" on the 4.5" coil.
THese are not imgain coils and are not the coils intended as "stock." Im not surprised they have a differing effect of their own.

On the 9.5" factory coil the quarter will start at .5" and the silver dollar will start overloading at 2" at the middle of the coil.
Notice the reduction in trigger distance?

So if you get a overload sound, do you dig all the overloads and dig all them cans or do you not dig all them overloads and miss all them coins that are to close.
It depends on our location, but Id say you need to check out all signals. Again, there is no detector that can protect you from all trash. I got a pulltab reading today at about 2". It was a CW cleaner bullet, intact. THese arent often found this way. What would you have thought if your detector said "Pulltab, 2"" and you were a slave to that darned meter.

I would suggest you try this:
Follow the instructions in the manual and set up the custom program to discriminate aluminum cans specifically. I use the custom program a lot as none of the others completely satisfy me and my method of hunting. Most of the time when I hit an aluminum can it will give out a warbling sound rather than a coin signal. Another thing you might try is to discriminate out the half dollar icon and it shouldn't give you a hard signal on the cans. Grab an old can and bury it and try it. A half dollar should still show up as a quarter, however."

I have sent it to Garrett and it cost me $40.00 and it is still the same.
Must be working properly then.

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
First off, why do you want to hunt a can dump? I doubt any detector is going to work there. There ARE limits, after all
I hunt can dumps because it pays off big so far I have found over forty coins and six tokens and other goody, but I have been using my Explorer with a 5" coil on it because my 1500 can't handle all the trash.​
I'm not sure if SENS affects the overload or not. For example, if it is up too high, will it cause an overload? I dunno
No the sens does not affects the test.​
In some can dumps they can have 25 to 50 targets in a square yard. I use a custom setting and dig every thing from 3 on up. If you want to see the trash I'm going throw chick out my topic. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,40376.msg342560.html#msg342560

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, ouch! I see your problem. You will need a small coil, no matter what you swing, to pick through that stuff. And it is very possible that your Garrett, for all it's fine qualities, is just not up the task in such a nightmarish landscape. There are extremes everywhere and I'm sure Charles Garrett never envisioned that!

In fact, you may want to email them that pic at Garrett and explain your situation.

Or just stick to the Explorer, since it works. Another idea is to get a very basic detector, like a Tesoro Silver series, with the smallest coil you can find and work it that way. Or at least rake off the surface clutter before beginning. Sifting is another possibility. Good luck to you! Wheeewwww!

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Thinks for the input, and if others would do the test and let me know how it turns out, it would be nice. Maybe it a sizes imaging thing, that cause the overload. The GTA 1000 does not have the sizes imaging and it don't have a overload problem.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I overloaded on a quarter yesterday buried just under he surface. But, I had to scrub the ground to attain it.

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
So far I see that I need to dig all the target even the overloads. Before I didn't dig the overloads, so I might have mist some.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The overload signal works well on my Garrett machine if I am merely hunting coins or small jewelry like at the plalyground chips, but I would ignore it if hunting relics. Monty

OP
OP
Bebop

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
So Monty do you dig overload or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread