Test Gardens

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
lol. I started one about 6 years ago

Planted a couple copper pennies - one at 4", one at 7", about 2 feet apart and marked their locations with a couple bright yellow plastic tent stakes I had on hand driven flush with the ground (so the mower wouldn't get 'em) Fully well intended to do the same with various other coins / objects - even went out and bought a couple dozen more plastic stakes.

Got distracted from MD-ing for a few years after my wife suffered some serious injuries and only last year went out to see if I could pick up where I left off...............

You think I can locate those blasted pennies ??????? I've even set the mower deck to "scalp" the area I KNOW they are in................. FAT CHANCE ! lol.

Diggem'

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggum, set your sens all the way, and set the descrim to all metal, walk in the area
you know you buried them, and when you get a deep all metal signal, mark the spot and scrape the surface there and see if you can find the stakes.....
In all metal you will gain enough to find coins that deep.. if you still can't find them...
your machine is Ssssshhh and you need to buy a differant one....
:laughing9:

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
TORRERO said:
Diggum, set your sens all the way, and set the descrim to all metal, walk in the area
you know you buried them, and when you get a deep all metal signal, mark the spot and scrape the surface there and see if you can find the stakes.....
In all metal you will gain enough to find coins that deep.. if you still can't find them...
your machine is Ssssshhh and you need to buy a differant one....
:laughing9:

Been there, done that. Machines are CZ3D & a Radio Shack Discovery 3000 - no problems finding stuff elsewhere. My suspicion is that I am "certain this is where they are" in the wrong area..... (Old age & CRS setting in, ya know?) lol. Off to find the keys that fell out of my pocket yesterday somewhere on my property while Baja-ing on a Honda Odyssey....... (thankfully, I didn't stray from the trails) :-)

Diggem'

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a general test garden of different coins, pull tabs etc by all means but most importantly select one type of coin...size or metal type doesn't matter and plant a row of these coins at increasing depths say from 5" right through to 12".

Then you can see exactly what effect your adjustments have, changes in sweep speed, coil sizes etc. This is especially important if your detector has various modes such as a tones option. Its often made out that all metal discrimination is deeper than ordinary discrimination or say with a T2 that you should use 2+ two tones rather than a single tone. With the type of bed I suggest you just run along it and find at which point a good target is indicated as bad (its rather shallow with most detectors). Then switch to single tone Tesoro style "beep and dig" and you find you can locate not only that coin but the next couple on at their even deeper depths.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you guys for some great info and ideas on fine tuning I'm on my way out to plant my own garden if the darn wind will let up a little.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread