Tested my Nuttal scoop this morning.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I finaly got in the water this season with my new nuttal scoop. At first I was not at all happy with it. I started in close. I'm not used to a closed scoop. I had to fish through a half of scoop of small stones to find my targets. But when I got into deeper water and all sand bottom,it worked out super. Travis thought of most everything. He put the hand grip facing the point. Also his logo faces the point. This is nice in deep or dirty water. You don't have to guess that scoop may be backwards. The handle will floot up next to you if you let it go. It takes a big bite and goes deep. I had a so so day. I did'nt find any rings. I got $3.60 in change and a $20.00 bill. The water was calm and warm. The sun was warm and the scenery was unreal. I don't remember girls looking like that when I was in my twentys. I guess it is in their food . Not fair,I think I got screwed. Happy hunting :tard: :thumbsup: Mike.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I thinking of buying the Nuttall. I was going to get the Stealth but im afraid i will lose my load in the rough surf with the open Stealth. Can I change the handle on the Nuttall? I may want to use a shorter wood handle.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey Mike . My day was worse than yours ..I don't even want to go there ...still a good day to be out . And good Lord the EYE candy was out , I would Like to me young and thin again........ ;D ;D ;D Guzz

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked mine up from UPS yesterday. Yes you can change out the handles, they bolt on at the basket. I am going to try mine out this weekend. HH

OP
OP
Mike Silver -gold

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
You can change the handle if you like. But I like the fiberglass handle. Travis Nuttall ofers 2 handles 1 40" and 1 48". The stleath comes with a oak handle. I have 2 and they both broke after a few times out. I doubt that you can ever break the fiber glass handle. That is one tough scoop. If you are going to hunt in a sandy bottom the Nuttall is the best scoop. The stealth is a big open scoop. It is quick to find your find in it. I like them both,but I think the Nutall is indestrutable. Mike.

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
I called Travis today, to find out the shipping costs to Maui.. $50. not bad i think. Money well spent i i thinking for what maybe the best scoop out there. Mikey :thumbsup:

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey good luck with the new scoop :thumbsup: :thumbsup: great scoop for sure Travis is A#1 in my book,,, Great guy .. guzz ...

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
That Nuttall looks to me to be the best.
Some of the sand on the Columbia river is hard pack.
The beaches on the Oregon shore are hard at the tideline.
I want something I can put my foot into.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
greydigger said:
That Nuttall looks to me to be the best.
Some of the sand on the Columbia river is hard pack.
The beaches on the Oregon shore are hard at the tideline.
I want something I can put my foot into.
To me the Stealth looks to be the best for digging into hardpack or shell. It is more wide open to locate the target easier amoungst shells and pebbles also.
I am considering the Nuttall because it is totally enclosed and will not dump in the rough surf. I am digging mostly sand which should mostly drain out to find my target easily.

ASk Sandman, I think you can do some tough digging with the Stealth and should have no problem putting your foot into it.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Hey greydigger thats your ticket ..the nuttal just glides through the hard pack to the target with no hesitation. get the long handle on the scoop ,,not the short ... Im 5 foot 10 and perfect for me ...... guzz

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Mike,
I think that the problem with all the small rocks in the scoop could be partially taken care of if Travis offered a Diamondhead scoop with 5/8th inch holes. I have the same problem with my Stealth scoop which also has 1/2" holes. I end up having to go through lots of rocks in the basket because not many of the places I hunt have sandy bottoms. The Stealth works great in the sand. I would consider getting the Nuttall scoop if it was offered with 5/8th inch holes.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have a scoop with 5/8 inch holes. The new pop tops (the ones that stay on the can) will go right through sometimes and you will keep looking for that target.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Gosh, it looks like a possible option of 5/8 or 1/2 inch holes would be good.
Someone else said toe rings would go through 1/2 inch and 7/16 would be best.
How about a flexible liner to put in 5/8 hole scoops to reduce to 1/2 or 7/16?
Do you think there might be a market for those?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
greydigger said:
Gosh, it looks like a possible option of 5/8 or 1/2 inch holes would be good.
Someone else said toe rings would go through 1/2 inch and 7/16 would be best.
How about a flexible liner to put in 5/8 hole scoops to reduce to 1/2 or 7/16?
Do you think there might be a market for those?
I dont see how it would be possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread