testing a new metal detector

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I am days away from getting my new model md a minelab. When you get a new metal detector and youve read the manual. Then how do you conduct testing this is a genuine question not another pointless post I mean every metal detector what ever the model,price etc will have flaws I want the stuff the manual leaves out the tricks the pros keep hidden the zen of metal detecting suff that one day will make them the stuff of legend a metal detecting indianna jones type the master of the machine the seeker of fortunes the best of the best you get the picture many thanks in advance

Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Go to the explorer class room on findmall.com and you will find many answers to your questions and if not, ask :)

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I think experience is going to get you ahead of the next person. I mean your not going to understand what your machine is saying to you, if you haven't heard it before. This means alot of digging.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well said.....you have to get to know the detector.....figure out what it is telling you and how to work the basics..then start playing with different settings .....
Which Minelab are you getting??

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign xs2 as I understand it an older minelab but from advice I been given off respected members outstanding

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelabs are fantastic machines, I don't know about the X2, but I have the GT with a WOT and I love it. I was already use to the Minelab tones, currently having 2 Excals I use for water hunting, the tones on the Sovereign are a little different but still easy to learn.

To me tones on the Sovereign are a little richer, or wamer in tone, hard for me to describe, but when hunting I have no problem identifying good from bad. You still have problem with pull tabs and pop tops, and the GT has the notch filter, but I don't want to use it. I don't want to filter out a border line nice gold ring signal that comes in as a pull-tab.

If you need help or have questions, don't hestate to ask here. There are many using the Sov that will be happy to help. I still consider myself a 14 month old newbie, so don't know how much I can help, but I would sure try.

Good luck andgood hunting.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
thanks for the replys when I get my model It comes with the manual I looked on the minelab site and the quality of some of the manuals were really bad so I will scan mine in at high defination and post a link could someone explain how you use notch out like a notch out for dummies guide thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the GT, it has a notch (filter) Knob, that you use to notch out certain signals, but you will also run the chance on filtering out a good target. I have never used the X2 so I can't say if it has one.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've got the sovereign elite and I run in discrim mode with notch all the way down and discrim all the way down. The trick seems to be learning the tones. Actually the trick is getting a good target under the coil! I always swing at two different angles, meaning once you find a signal swing over it again 90 degrees different. When the signal repeats the same, start digging. When the signal repeats and is high toned and low volume, mark the spot and call me. Just kidding, that's when you've got something really good down deep.
But dig alot of signals to get a feel for the tones.
Happy hunting
Muleskinner

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muleskinner,

I run mine basically the same way you do, discriminate is at 1 or below, notch is all the way off.

I do play around with the silent search sometimes for kicks, but I discriminate almost nothing out. I let the machine null out the iron and I listen for the rest.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
That's good to hear T-hunter, because I pretty much came across that method thru trail and error. To have the method confirmed by someone more experienced then myself is assuring.
Now if I could just find some good targets....................

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i sat down the other day with my bin of goodies and airtested both my detectors to see what the meters would read and what depth i'd get.

Jim DE

Aug 26, 2007
Newark, DE
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Surfmaster PI Pro
I find a test garden is invaluable in shortening a learning curve with a detector. If you know what is down there and how deep it is and its position then recognize the data from your detector it sure beats repeated diggings to find out the same things.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I can only tell you what I do.

When I get a new machine that I'm totally unfamiliar with, I read the manual several times; take notes; test the machine; read the manual again; take notes and test the machine some more.

Then I take the notes I made and PM people here (and elsewhere) I know who have extensive experience with that type machine. These are persons who are known to be sensible and deal with the facts (and we know who they are, don't we?).

The PM feature here and on other forums is worth it's weight in gold.

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread