Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I finally got the chance to test out the Fisher Impulse I got off Ebay. Yea, ok, I was being punny. But it was sort of an impulse buy of an Impulse. I saw it going pretty cheap and I wanted a back up for my White's Surfmaster so I sprung for it.

I headed down to Galveston, Tx for a meeting and took the Impulse with me. I was only able to get about 45 minutes of detecting in before the meeting and then tried it again for an hour afterwards before heading home. I arbitrarily picked a spot along the seawall and hopped out to give it a spin. My first impression was "Jeez, this thing is like swinging a brick around" I didn't realize just how heavy it was. Fortunately, there is the ability to separate the control from the rod so you can hip or chest mount it. That will be a requirement!

My first find with this detector was a modern nickel at about 6" of wet sand. OK, cool, at least I know it will pick up the low range stuff well. Then it seemed like I was getting one of every kind of target which, I guess, was good for testing purposes. Nails, foil, a zinc penny, bottle cap, modern pull tab, old style pull tab, beer can, and aluminum can top all came up to the surface. I mainly hunted the wet sand at the edge of the surf as the tide pulled back but did venture into the water about calf deep. (Hey, I didn't have any cold water gear and I'm a cold water weenie!) Who ever said that you needed a third hand when detecting with the Impulse was right on the money. The threshold tends to increase in volume as you go deeper in the water. Pretty annoying if you are working inshore to out. If you get too shallow and have the coil fluttering on the surface, it's a mistake you will make only once. From the noise coming out of my headset, I thought someone had run over a cat with a lawn mower! Ouch. Although the review sounds a bit negative, I did enjoy hunting with the unit. Once I understood the threshold setting technique, I was able to tune it so that I could get very faint signals of deep targets. I was amazed at how far down I was digging some targets. I actually gave up on some targets because I was already a good 18" down with my little hand scoop and just decided it had to be a beer can or chunk of iron. I was also digging the deepest pull tabs I have ever dug in my life. I was getting some of these older ones at 10-12+" of wet sand. My Whites is only good to maybe 8-10". I was disappointed I didn't find any older coins as the older pull tabs would have indicated but they may have been out of range or maybe some of the ones I gave up on. I did manage to find an unusual ring. It looks like silver but has some pretty good heft to it. It looks like a crown on the front and has 23 small diamond(?) chips in it. I will take it to the jeweler later to authenticate it. Here's a couple if pics of the finds. Nothing to really brag about....and yes, I know, my phone camera sux. Any way, once I get the hip mount set up for this baby, I think my Whites will become the back up machine. It seems my impulse to buy the Impulse was a wise choice!

So anybody around Galveston want to take me under wing and enlighten me to the better spots to detect? I sure would like to find a partner or group of folks to detect with down there.

Attachments

• Impulse 1.jpg
    Impulse 1.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 189
  • Impulse 2.jpg
    Impulse 2.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 144
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread