Testing Out My New Detector - Last Dig A Barber

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just recently obtained a Omega version 6 from detectiongMO a few days ago and I decided to take it out for a test run today. Settings - 4 Tone, Sensitivity 60, GB 63, Discrimination 0. I dug a lot of targets today to see what the numbers and tones were telling me.

My first silver, a 1944 Mercury Dime, came from a site that I've detected several times before. It's high audio tone was mixed in with low grunts from the surrounding iron. I found a few wheat pennies, but I couldn't get my search over anymore silver so I left to search some curb and sidewalk strips.

As I was detecting along a curb line a guy came of his house and I quickly dashed over to ask permission to detect his corner lot. I got the OK. The house looked to have been built around 1910 or so. I was tired from all the previous digging, but I was pumped to be able to detect such a fine yard.

I wasn't finding much of anything except for copper pennies and they were everywhere! My back and legs were killing me, but I pushed on because I just knew that this vintage yard had to have some old silver in it. Finally, I got a whisper of a high tone, I dug down and popped a 1899 Barber Dime. Happy, happy, I head for the house.

This was my 94th hunt for the year and my grand total for silver coins this year is 252. That's averaging a little over 2.5 silver coins per hunt.
I'll total all my gold and silver rings and other jewelry at the end of the year.

tabman

Attachments

• Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 001.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 001.JPG
    583.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 002.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 002.JPG
    324.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 005.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 005.JPG
    668.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 006.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 006.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 011.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 011.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 010.JPG
    Omega - Barber & Rosie Dime 010.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 9

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Barber & Merc tabman. :occasion14: Did the concentric slow you down a little?

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Barber & Merc tabman. :occasion14: Did the concentric slow you down a little?
Thanks! Yeah, you can't cover as much ground with it as you can with a DD search coil, but it does separate and discriminate well. Next time out, I'll have the NEL Sharpshooter search coil attached. It's been awhile since I've swung a Omega and it will take me a few hunts to get used to it again.

tabman

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the silver finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I'm laying in today to rest up for tomorrow's final hunt for the year.

Oh yeah, I forgot that I found this silver piece near where I found the Barber dime. It was too big to go in my coin water bottle so laid it in the SUV and forgot about it.

Silver Piece 001.JPG

tabman

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tabman
Congrats on the silver !
I ran an Omega Ver. 4 for a year had NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter coils, but liked the factory 10" concentric the best on that machine.
The Nel Coils did realy quit down the ver. 4,i hear the ver. 6 is not that chatty .
I see over on the "other forum" JimTN.is gettin a lot of Silver there in Germantown...must be loaded there .
Happy New Year
Gary

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tabman
Congrats on the silver !
I ran an Omega Ver. 4 for a year had NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter coils, but liked the factory 10" concentric the best on that machine.
The Nel Coils did realy quit down the ver. 4,i hear the ver. 6 is not that chatty .
I see over on the "other forum" JimTN.is gettin a lot of Silver there in Germantown...must be loaded there .
Happy New Year
Gary

Thanks! We don't hunt in Germantown, we hunt in Memphis for old silver coins. The Omega versions 5 and 6 do run a lot quieter. I heard speculation that they did something to better shield them and made them hit harder on silver. Who knows, they won't say. I hunt around a lot of EMI and the NEL search coils sure do help out.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread