Testing The Johnson Haynie Detector

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

You may want to add a disclaimer for the device that it should only be used inside the 3 mile limit due to the bermuda triangle being offshore.The compass on the device may start spinning wildly in circles,you could get lost and not know which way is land.The aliens could scoop you,your crew and your boat up,never to be seen again and to have all of us have to do a large search looking for your shipwreck and crew.Make sure your you have a large iron object on your boat so our REAL electronic mags can find you.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U no, this setup worked better than I thought. I really love a good rock fight! Some of em have been going on here at the shipwreck forum for months. I guarantee this one definitely will. I can hear the fat lady gargling already. :violent1:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Here is a photo of a perfect halloween costume
for anyone with the screen name HUNG :icon_thumright:

Attachments

• johnson detector costume.jpg
    johnson detector costume.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,564

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dom you are HILARIOUS! This beats the cockroach-in-a-box detector!

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
This post is not intended for the regular members of this forum who so delight in having their fun at the expense of anyone that dares to present ideas foreign to them. I am only responding to this thread because of the seemingly large amount of interest shown by the visitors. I am indeed sorry that the posting has degraded into this unfunny humor put out by the “hung cockroaches, capt. dumbs”, etc.
This thread was posted without our knowledge or consent, and although Terry Armstrong did a great job in presenting HIS experience with this technology, I would not have used this forum for the obvious reasons in evidence above.
Some of the posters here had an opportunity to do the same thing that Terry did. They chose not to, and that is fine. But why choose now to attack something that they know nothing about. This does not strike me as humorous in any way.
Those of you who came here to see if any real value will come out of these posts will be disappointed. This will be the only time that we dignify these posts by a response.

Joe, Cal is returning to Arizona soon, and will contact you later. Give my best to Mike, Roy and Beth, as I am not sure they monitor this particular forum. That big wash near Fernley, Az looks better all the time.
Bill

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Illegitimi non carborundum est

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't think anyone is laughing at, or attempting to discredit, your product. It's a perfect example of experimentation at work. You don't have to be an expensive, complex product to get the desired results. I've been following this thread because I'm fascinated by the simplicity of it. So we see a little humor..oh well.

As Warren Oates said in Stripes.."Lighten up, Francis"

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
All kidding aside for just one moment.

I personally met both of the highly experienced treasure hunters who are developing
this detector. They have probably forgotten more than most will ever actually know
about treasure hunting....

They have literally - "Been there" and "Done That" and are for real. Now I mean this as a complement.
My humor - as twisted as it was not directed at them
or their current methodology of proceeding in following their passions.

I am sorry if my joking around hurt their or anyone's feelings...

As for the "johnson" i was referring to (my own) ,...
well it doesn't work quite as good as it use to
but like them I am still out there trying and my hat
really is off to the both of them.

There is an old saying,
"If you take the front of the line.... Expect to get some eggs thrown at you"
Again guys, I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
You know, I went back and re-read my posts - considering
deleting them and three quick points came to mind:

O.K. I was exaggerating! In no way does my "johnson"
work like it use to... >:(

1. I guess I used it way too much when I was younger...

2. There is not enough humor in the world..... and none of my posts were directed at
the two gentlemen who are de-bugging a new detection technology

3. I have way too much time on my hands - up here in the mountains
to be on this website so much and probably should go gold
panning up in Snowbird

and a fourth.... I'm not going to sober up either

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Terry put up a great post and I read it with interest. Not only was it informative but it also opens the door to some real possibilities. I personally like Terry and though I don't know him as well as I would like, my guess is he's gotten a kick out of the humor that his post has brought out.
I would like to hear more on this subject on a serious note, however if someone has a humorous anecdote or turn I welcome the laugh!
Thanks again Terry for the substantial input ....and Salvor6, shame on you for making me laugh until I spit out my Captain Morgan & Coke!!!
Aquanut

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
k Gentlemen can we get back to the device and it's results? Bill? I believe that I have a basic understanding on how it works now, congrats.

Peeps, remember the first successful Maggie was a simple piece of Stone.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK… now I have to admit that I am not just patting Bill and Cal on the back. Nope, I actually dropped a name hoping somebody would pick up on it and say something. There’s more to the story and its all tied together over a whole lot of years. By the way, Bill, Cal and I would expect to be lampooned for exposing the detector, but, I stand by my results, and would dare any of you to put up a dollar against me with the result set I furnished originally. My skin is real thick. I made the post without consent from Bill or Cal, but, I’ve seen enough to satisfy myself and its time to move forward.

Frank Brawley. Frank lived in Cocoa Beach when I first met him back in the sixties. He went to the Divers Training Academy in Fort Lauderdale, as did I (and Burt Webber, Cal Johnson and a whole bunch of other guys for that matter). Frank and I worked for Packer Diving and Salvage in Morgan City Louisiana, and later on we worked together on the Laertes salvage job out of Canaveral. Eventually, Frank played some part in putting me to work on the New Channel Historical Survey Group treasure lease at Klondike Beach (north side of Cape Kennedy). New Channel was run by Bill and Florence Andrews and Mel Fisher got shares in New Channel by trading services of Fay Field and his mag. Fay found a lot of stuff for Mel. Mel gave the info to Bill Andrews who, in turn shared some of it with Frank… who eventually shared some of it with Bill and Cal. Frank died several years ago but I was not aware of it until Bill told me. Bill and Florence Andrews died several years back as well. They are survived by my buddy Randy Andrews, their son. Now bear with me.

As a short aside to the big picture: the Laertes was salvaged by the KarrWinAll company which was split between three partners… Craig Karr, Chuck Winston and Jimmy Allamong. Winston and Allamong were oilfield guys from Texas, specifically working on pipelines. Pipelines run underwater all over the Gulf and in the swamps of Louisiana as well as under the plains of Texas. Back in the 60’s, pipeline people sometimes resorted to dowsing to find the lines. Chuck Winston dowsed with brass rods and found the Led wreck for KarrWinAll when LOP’s were not sufficient to do it. KarrWinAll had no mags, sonars, metal detectors, ect. Without getting into a hair pulling contest with other posters, let me just say that dowsing is a VERTICAL datum–centric locator while Bill and Cal have built a HOROZONTAL datum-centric locator. I’ve seen both of them work, and I do have my own magnetometer which is ALSO a vertical datum location device, meaning, like any metal detector, you have to basically pass OVER the item you are looking for. Well, obviously when you are limited to traveling on a flat plane (the sea surface) to perform a search, its far better to travel in the X and Y directions first, before having to define the Z plane. The alternative is to run a grid pattern and eliminate the dead space. Save fuel and time: save money. Enough about dowsing and KarrWinAll. I’ve lost touch with all those guys and many of them are already dead. One guy who worked on that job was Tom Mounts. Last I heard he was the Director of Diving Operations for the University of Miami. He might still be around.

Now, some of you may have read Marx’s books and may recall a blurb about a diver helping to recover a bronze cannon from a shrimper net off the Cape Canaveral area. That was Frank Brawley if you take his word for it. Does anybody here know any different? Frank gave some info to Bill and Cal years back which they used to locate a wreck. The location is an exact same waypoint provided to me in that collection of net hangs I mentioned in my original post. The point was separately discovered through the use of the Johnson Haynie locator (for want of a better word), before being recursed with a set of magnetometers. Since Bill Andrews died, I have been permitted to see his charts. The wreck is cited there at the same location as well. I am fairly confident that Frank got his info from Bill Andrews. I personally do not believe that he would have lost the location of any wreck that was throwing up bronze guns. Maybe, but probably not.

In the meantime, I still have more than 1100 waypoints to check, and some alleged rockpiles dead east of Corrigans to locate. If I can get Bill and Cal to help me, I am pretty sure you will be hearing more about this.

liverock

May 23, 2008
Interesting post.

A few months back Bill came to town and we tried his 'mag' aboard my vessel up the west coast of Florida. It did get some hits, but was a nasty rough day. So we made one dive and pulled the plug.

A couple of months later we made another trip to the other coast with Cal on my vessel. At the ramp I told Cal to turn around, as I had his silver bar, and was on a mission to hide it from him. I went out in the mangroves, and deposited the bar, and covered it with leaves.

Given the go ahead, Cal began using the "mag". It quickly found a park bench that had metal legs....but....then he turned around, and walked directly to the silver bar I had hidden. I was more than impressed. He approached the area from different angles, and still said 'right there'...each time.....when he was on top of it the third time, I said, yes, and uncovered the bar.

Bottom line is it works, but is tough when there are multiple hits around, as it points to anything metal. Is a very interesting instrument.

Liverock

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
That silver bar is really neat huh!!!

Cal did a similar test right at the Jupiter Shipwreck site on the beach.

His detector pointed right to the silver bar and it also swung right to where
some of us beleive the main pile of the shipwreck actually lays under about
25 to 30 feet of sand and bolders. :headbang: :notworthy:

PMA (a positive mental attitude) plays a large part in any detection process.
Whether we use an Aqua Pulse, A Fisher or a Johnson / Haynie Proto Type.
Its sometimes... almost... like if you will it to be there or work hard enough and will
it to be there.... well. It just may end up being there.... whatever you ARE LOOKING FOR...

My personal and above comment speaks not of any one particular technology over another
It just speaks of the positive attitude any explorer needs to maintain to make something
spectacular happen - like finding treasure.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the old days of the 1715 fleet wrecks,you could blow a hole anywhere near the beach and find treasure.Now its all picked over and the fishers want everyone to look further out.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now we're getting somewhere... yep, maybe a gaussian mag or, I think, a balanced galvometer. There was a guy who's last name starts with an "S" (slavic or germanic I think) who basically wrote up plans for something like that back in 1924 for the International Electronic Engineering (not sure what IEEE stands for).

Because the Johnson Haynie devices exhibit the ability to detect where large metal objects HAD been, I am certain it has something to do with disturbed gravity fields, therefore, it is, in that respect, a typical graviomter (EE types still call this a magnetometer regardless from what I can see in my own research, but bear in mind that I have trouble finding bad bulbs in a string of Christmas tree lights). The thing also exhibits typical hysteresis qualities just like a pulsing mag, meaning that there is latency in the pointing ability: once a lock occurs, it may be difficult to reacquire a new target of greater mass which is even closer as one moves the device in a particular direction. This all seems to be dependant upon the approach bearing. This means that finer control is required. But, I don't know what is in it, and I am not going to find out. That's their thing, not mine. None the less, it is very refreshing to have an opportunity to apply a new technique, especially one that does not require you to break the bank when you go to the field.

And yes Fisheye, the easy money is gone and if I were Taffy I would do what I could to see the rest of the lower 40 got properly plowed before the sun goes down. Seems that many of us are already in the twilight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread