Texas Digs - Day 1

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had mentioned before in a previous post that I had been spending some time the last few months preparing for large scale digs here at the ranch in central Texas. Welded up three 4' x 8' steel sift tables, marking out and setting boundaries on 3 different midden / camp sites, test holes, etc...

I got done with all that a few weeks ago, and then switched my focus over to deer season, fishing, and some metal detecting before it got too cold for me.

Here in the TX Hill Country, we finally had our first real cold snap this weekend... Temps at the ranch dropped down to the mid 20s and everything iced over, stock troughs frozen solid, the whole nine... Absolutely miserable!

I got stir crazy sitting in front of the fireplace Saturday morning, so we headed out to "Site 2".

Using the tractor, we peeled back 2" of topsoil and pushed a 20' long strip into a single pile, then ran the pile thru 3 tables.

Here are the finds from Day 1 (about 8 hours).

I went over them with water and a brush when we got back to the house and laid them out on the dining room table over a big piece of blue felt left over from the Goliad relic displays project I recently posted.

I had to stand on a chair to get an "aerial" view, and took several pictures to try and eliminate some of the glare off the flint by slightly changing angles.

Sorry if the pics are kind of rough!

Attachments

• image-2619845569.png
    image-2619845569.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 161
  • image-3476451623.png
    image-3476451623.png
    684.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1880159232.png
    image-1880159232.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 122
  • image-671230962.png
    image-671230962.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3721379350.png
    image-3721379350.png
    429.4 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not worthy here that is very awesome !!!!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice but why do you think there is so many broken ones? Also did you get any of that snow they showed on the news?

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice but why do you think there is so many broken ones? Also did you get any of that snow they showed on the news?

These were all practically surface / topsoil finds... Real shallow and pretty rocky soil... "Site 2" is located very close to a good watering spot that hasn't changed it's path very much throughout the course of time. 125+ years of cattle heading to water probably took it's toll.

Once we get a bit further down, the complete points will start to show... This heavy of a concentration of "brokes" can only be a great precursor of what's to come... Not that I particularly care!

We didn't get any snow, which I'm thankful for!
All the drizzling happened before we busted into sub-30 degrees, and then it froze over. I don't take to cold weather as it is without a good reason or necessity, going out in snow would pretty much require persuasion with loss of life, limb, or eyesight!!!

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just realized that I forgot to add a scale reference...

For the sake of anyone interested, the first artifact (top row, far left) stands at exactly 4" tall...

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Incredible effort and finds! I've been on a few Texas sites and much like you're seeing here, some of those sites are just flat out loaded with artifacts. I too experienced the artifacts being close to the surface. Hope you'll be able to piece some of those brokes together. Look forward to more images from your site.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one far left 3rd row would of been huge if the tip wasnt missing. Its got some nice notches on it.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds! I like the 3rd from the left 5th row

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freaking awesome / The way you are fighting you stand a good chance to find the tips and bases of possible brokes. Nice 8 hours worth. Hopefully the site is deep as well. Good luck and hope you take a lot of deer.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the comments!

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice nice NICE! That must be loads of fun, make sure you enjoy it for those of us who can only dream :thumbsup:...and thanks for sharing it. I can't wait till you can dig deeper and get to some older whole points. I hope there is find of a lifetime waiting.

naturegirl

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds man! I've been wanting to hunt more artifacts, but not to much going on up in North Tex.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice nice NICE! That must be loads of fun, make sure you enjoy it for those of us who can only dream :thumbsup:...and thanks for sharing it. I can't wait till you can dig deeper and get to some older whole points. I hope there is find of a lifetime waiting. naturegirl

Thanks!

I'll be sure to post them as I find them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread