Texas fossil....unclear?????????

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Found in creek bed. Looks like a hoof, or a cast of one? I'm sure it is something completely different. One side/tip/end? broken in antiquity. All help appreciated.

dsc00531pjf.jpg

dsc00521r.jpg

view from the other side with tip broken off, note ridge running between two sides.
here is a clearer view of the material in between...it is fossilized as well, but appears to be some different.....

dsc00528j.jpg

dsc00523sru.jpg

dsc00524z.jpg

The cleft in the rock was filled with dirt, but after cleaning a space cleared out that just outlined the outer edge of the object.

dsc00526f.jpg

I've only ever found water borne fossils in this area, so for this to have belonged to a land dweller would come as some surprise.

It is about the size of a tennis ball

Thanks folks,
BW

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey bravowhiskey,not sure about hoof but to me It looks like a fossilized clam,or some type of shellfish.Good find Though!Not sure maybe someone else will let you know
Timekiller!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
timekiller said:
Hey bravowhiskey,not sure about hoof but to me It looks like a fossilized clam,or some type of shellfish.Good find Though!Not sure maybe someone else will let you know
Timekiller!
'Timekiller' is correct. This is a steinkern, an internal cast of a bivalve. All the shell material is dissolved away. What's left is a cast of the interior, the hinge, etc.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Harry, timekiller....

Thanks for the ID. :thumbsup: I found this about 10 years ago and just never saw anything like it.
After a google search I see that Steinkern is a generic term for what I have. Would either one of you know the particular bivalve? It would be interesting to see a complete representation.

Good on you both,
BW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread