Thailand coin question

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm putting together a 1965 collection of world coins, one example from each country that issued one that year. Turns out there's about 80 total.

Anyway, I'm getting conflicting info about Thailand. I have two Krause catalogs (1989 & 2006) and neither lists one. Nor does the World Coin Gallery website.

Yet I continue to see 1965 Thai coins being sold on eBay. The dating is different; they add 543 years to the western style of dating, so I'd be looking for year 2508.

Can anyone point to a site that confirms a 1965 Thai coin? Thanks in advance!

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the reason that you havent found any 1965 coins, is because they didnt date all the coins. Most coins in circulation here are not worth more that face, so I dont really pay much attention to them, just the really old coins, but just know that some were not dated.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This may help you: JORDAN'S COIN PAGE
And here's a conversion table to help you with the Thai coin dates:
“Creounity Time Machine”, the universal date converter for coin collectors
This may give you your answer--from another onliner: Many older Thailand coins have "frozen dates". For example, 1 baht coins bearing the date "2505" (1962 AD) were struck from 1962 right up to 1982. It's impossible to tell exactly when in that 20-year period a 2505-dated coin was struck, so those coins are effectively "undated".

However, since the 1980s, most Thai coins have actual dates on them.

Don...

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty interesting Don, thanks. So the eBayers who say they have 1965 coins may not know what year they actually are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread