Thank a WW-2 vet before they are all gone..

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this morning we received the call that we knew was coming. My wife's grandfather passed away from kidney failure.He was at D-day and fought through the bulge and he was sent to back to France with frostbite and came with in a couple of hours of scheduled amputation.
The doc decided not to remove his feet at that point and about 5 years ago both of his legs below the knees were removed due to poor circulation stemming from the frost bite received from WW2.He had his dog tags from the war with a 1922 piece dollar attached.He told me that when he left for Europe the silver dollar was in like new condition.He drilled a hole in it and attached it to his dog tags to remember America. That silver dollar is worn almost slick now. He taught himself to walk on prosthetic legs in his mid 80s and he passed this morning at 90. Not just the greatest generation but the toughest generation.He was with a tank destroyer battalion that saw alot of action. Sgt Denby Ranson ,you will be missed. :icon_salut:
I am so glad his great grandchildren will have memories of him.

Attachments

• tank destroyer [640x480].jpg
    tank destroyer [640x480].jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 216

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I wish I could...

My grandfather on my moms side was a B17 bomber top turent gunner in the European theater.

My grandfather on my dads side was a member of Gen. Douglas Macarthurs staff. in the Pacific & Japan. Retired as a Lt. Colonel.

My dad was in the Merchant Marines dodging torpedos in the North Atlantic. He enlisted at age 16.

They are all gone now....darn it...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Back about 4 years ago my wife and I had lunch at the Golden Corral in Muskegon, Michigan. As we were coming in a group of WWII vets were leaving. They looked in great shape and all were very friendly. We thanked them but I would have loved to chat with them more.

Back 12 years ago a WWI vet was pulled over by a local cop for speeding (lower Michigan). No, he didn't give him a ticket. The officer came on the radio and bragged about having the honor to meet him.

There still are good and respectable people out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread