Thankful coin find

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent last week with my parents who will be soon entering a nursing home. While there I asked my father if he had anything he needed me to take back home for safe keeping. He told me to go and get 2 lock boxes ofut of his closet. When he opened them up, they were full of various coins that my parents had collected over the past 50 some years. Some of them I was expecting like my father's 1963 proof set and my mother's old series $2 bill. However, there was lots more. Much of it many people would find worthless such as a bunch of common Kennedy halves and Ike dollars. However, my parents thought that they were special and kept them. There were also a number of coin folders and albums including the required state quarter books.

The things that meant the most to me were a few Lincoln cent books and a Jefferson folder that had belonged to my maternal grandmother. She was the one who got me into coin collecting back in the mid '70s. And her method of "collecting" was to find them in circulation or to try and trade with someone who had extras.

The final thing that was in there was an Indian cent folder that I had not seen in over 25 years and had thought was gone. It only has 8 coins in it, but I knew it was mine when I saw some of the coins in it such as the 1897 Indian Head that looks like it has red crayon smashed on it. Also, the 1902 with the funny color since I had tried to "clean" it when I was 8 or 9. I was so happy to get these back.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your kids and future grandkids will remember you for years after your gone just with a few coins., to go with the stories on how you got them also will help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread