Thanks Jake. Check This out.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Man This is a cool relic. Thanks for spotting it. I had already through it into a big barrel of relics. I took it out and it cleaned up really nice. It looks like it could have been used for a spear like hunting weapon to. It has a nice carving on the front and back. What shocked me was when I turned it over to the back side. In the middle of the blade someone carved a picture of a man just standing there. Pretty freaky for a moment. I'm here cleaning this possible weapon that may have done harm in the past and a see a guy carved on the blade.

I'd like to hear what others think it may be. It had some kind of black tap around the handle when I first found it. It looks old atleast 75 to 100 yrs old. The oxidation was heavy and so was the dirt sticking to it. If you want to see a pic of it before cleaned. Go to my barber half post. It's in the relics on the left.

I'm gonna try and color a few pictures so you guys can see the carving.

Thanks again

HH Jeremy?

Attachments

• Crazy Knife edited.JPG
    Crazy Knife edited.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 391
  • Crazy Knife back edited.JPG
    Crazy Knife back edited.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 400
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Wife figured it out. She came home from work right. I showed it to her and she said it's a owl. I said were and she pointed it out and I looked down and he was standing on a branch. Someone carved it in with a pin or needle. It doesn't show up. I'm gonna work on a few pics to see if it will show. Must have been a hunting knife or spear of some sort. Or throwing knife for killing some type of animal.

HH Jeremy

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Jer,that looks like an old throwing knife,they were flat steel and also balanced,for throwing at targets
or what ever,cool find.

HH Mark

C

cm5838

nice knife, i found one a while back, but it was made out of horseshoe stock i think. the carvings i thought were russian, but turns out that they are runes. The person that verified that thinks it was a cerimonial blood letting knife.
Charles

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 379

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find !

Leeway

Greenie
Sep 30, 2005
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Pioneer 202; Garrett ACE 250
Charles the runes on your knife seem to be Elder Futhark runes which are Germanic in origin. I am no historian but from what i can tell, hey would read "danmark" or "denmark". Similar runes can be found on the runestones found around north america which were supposedly left by early viking explorers to the new world. The problem is.. historians cant seem to agree if these runestones are genuine or some sort of hoax. (web search on "north american runestones"). Anyway the condition of your find seems probably too good to be that old. My guess would be some sort of folk art, or some sort of hoax. But who knows? You may have something really valuable on your hands. Either way its a really cool find!!

--Leeway

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Definatly a throwing knife, I would say between 10-20 years old IMO, me and my brother used to by them alot at our local sporting goods store for a buck fifty apiece. We would lose them pretty fast by missing the tree's we threw them at.

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, This looks older than 10 to 20 yrs to me. It also appears to be hand made but I can't tell for sure.

Thanks for looking at it. And the info on it.

HH Jeremy

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Wow thats cool :o Glad i told you to clean it :D Where throwing knives used for hunting? i assumed only selfe defense but im no expert... once again great find :)

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
The problem with a modern era cheapie throwing knife is that the low quality steel will corrode pretty easily. I've got some kept with the camping cutlery that have rusted badly over a few years.
Were there many steel spear points ever used in North America, outside of the Inuits?

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find Jeremy! Looks like it has some age on it. HH, Mike

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mk first thought is that it is a throwing knife.? You use to be able to order them out of the back of comic books, etc.? Made of cheap steel but well balanced.? I don't think they were ever used for hunting or even? self defense, rather they came with a target to practice on.? JIM aka KS

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Definitely a nice conversation piece, what ever it is,,, Great find, WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread