That darn "F" word again

XX

Jan 11, 2008
That darn "F" word again

At one of my dump banks yesterday and manager decides to "lookup" my accounts. Prints everything off, and informs me that there "may" be a fee for cashing in coins. She states that she will call me to let me know what it is. I casually ignore her confrontation as they count my coins.

Then it gets better. She notices that there are "marks" on the coins. She goes on to inform me how it's illegal to write on coins, they are government property, etc... It was so hard to not laugh or not make a sarcastic remark. She also goes on to inform me that all the coins go to the "exact same place" and that I'm just getting the same ones back. A younger me would have verbally put her in her place, but the older me realizes no good would come of it.

Aside from her attitude of trying to intimidate the customer (as opposed to using customer service to entice me into opening a new account), they shorted me $1.50 on the count. I could still hear coins in the counter spinning around and she refused to pull them out and give them back to me. As much as I'd like to call corporate to complain, I don't want to jeopordize the really good relationship I have at many other branches of this same bank. If I do open more accounts, I guarantee it will be at one of those branches to give them the sale.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: That darn "F" word again

gatzdon said:
She goes on to inform me how it's illegal to write on coins, they are government property, etc...
I am sure you know this but here is an abbreviated version of the law:
U.S. Code Title 18, Chapter 17, Section 331: Prohibits, among other things, fraudulent alteration and mutilation of coins. This statute does not, however, prohibit the mutilation of coins if done without fraudulent intent or if the mutilated coins are not used fraudulently.
Basically it means it is against the law to do something to a coin if you are going to try and cheat someone with that coin. :icon_pirat:

Go to a branch of that bank that you have never been to and talk to the new accounts manager. Act like you want to open an account. Lay it all on the table about your "hobby" if they have no problem with it ask to see it in their brochure. Tell them you are interested and need to think about it. You now have your ammo to fight a battle. :wink:

Definitely call corporate, tell them about the coin counter and the short. Hope you got the managers name.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I would place the call to corporate,
Just because you have the ability to control your younger rage does not mean that some upper level management person does! maybe some hot shot younger manager looking to light a fire will be your best friend. I have had that happen when I have made calls. Nothing like a bulldog watching over things that you can call on. Particularly when you invite them to functions and parties and make friends with them...its a great story but for another time.
But the fact is, banks and especially corporate try to pride them selves on how "accurate" they are and "never losing a cent" Fact is money tills are off all the time due to errors. But public perception is more important. If a count is up or down for a bank by Any number or for a store its a bad thing.

Cyberdan, thats a great link to reference. I get the whole "you cant alter coins/ melt them etc" a lot from people.

But the fact is coins have been made into and used for jewelry and other useful tools for centuries. I have found that a post 82 zinc penny makes for a great washer in a pinch. and for small amounts are cheaper than a washer! LOL

All those cut out coins for jewelry, coins melted into "coin" silver and pressed pennies come from coins. I wonder if the secrete service gets annoying calls from people thinking they are busting someone when they find out they are making coin jewelry or rolling out pennies. Imagine the shock when they find out they wasted there time!

OP
OP
X

XX

Jan 11, 2008

There are some banks in the urban/suburban areas that have such high turnover, that it's unbelievable. This is a branch that had awesome customer service only 3 months ago (christmastime). Up until that time, there was a teller that actually set aside old bills for me. Now, there is not a single employee in the branch that was there before christmas. They are literally ALL new. As a result, I had to teach them how to use the coin counter (some employees appreciate the help, others just don't want to be told what to do). This particular branch is one of many that I only use in a pinch because they have that stinking cummins-allison counter that only counts $100 in halves at a time (same for dollar coins).

I'm guessing that as a result of their inability to count to 10, they lost track of what was in their bags and vented their frustration out on me, thinking it's OK because I did not have enough money on deposit with their bank. When someone can't count to 10, it's really hard to not laugh or make smart remarks about it.

I've come across so many of these banks where the employess don't know how to use the machine, can't count, don't like their job, etc.... I don't bother fighting for these branches because I don't just use them to count coins, but I'm also using them to expand my paper money collection.

A friendly teller will go through their drawer looking for older bills, star notes, UNC specimens, etc.... (provided there's not a line of customers behind me). One who has been forced to accept my coins is going to do the bare minimum for me. Thus half the purpose of my trip to the bank will be forfeited.

Additionally, all I have to do is wait 3-6 months, and the offending person with poor personality skills will have moved on (either up, down, or out).

OP
OP
X

XX

Jan 11, 2008

JewlerDave, I totally forgot about elongated cents. That definitely would have been a good smart a** remark to make.

"Wow, I didn't realize that. Can you give me the number for the secret service? I want to report Navy Pier to them because they've been destroying pennies for years with their elongated cents machines!!!".

Not to mention all the tellers that write on teh bills in their drawer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions