That trashy homestead finally produces a coin!

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted this railroad camp/homestead for the last 4 years and have not found one coin. The ground is literally cover in iron spikes,square nails, broken period glass, flat tin etc. I have hit the place with the Deus, Nokta Relic, Tesoros Tejon, Vaquero, Bandido2 micromax, compadres, F75, at gold, CTX 3030 the list goes on.
Today I decided to walk down by the river and hunt the shoreline knowing it would be filled with shotgun shell headstamps. I think the duck hunters have been hunting this area since the late 1800s.lol winchester repeaters clear up to modern. Anyhow was walking back up the trail to the homestead when I hit the barber dime. It's a 1914d barber so it was probably dropped by duck hunters way back then and not the homestead cause it is older than that. This railroad was built in 1867 so more around that time period. I will find a seated there eventually.

Attachments

• 20170307_132049.jpg
    20170307_132049.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 20170307_132154.jpg
    20170307_132154.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congrats on the Barber! I know that you're one happy dude.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back swinging the Mojave. The rain is suppose to be gone.

tabman

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have oit a lot of time in at this homestead and removed a lot of railroad spikes.lol. I will eventually get a period coin out of there I just know it.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Were you using the Mojave? Was not sure from the post.

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah didn't put it in the post but it's in the picture:)

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, I see it now. Congrats! So apart from being "just plain fun to use", what do you like about the Mojave over the other detectors you own. Can you identify something the Mojave seems to have an edge on, over and against the others? I only ask because after going over this site the way you have with other detectors, only to find that dime with a $250 Tesoro makes me think there is something about it.

I know you might have found that dime with another machine, that ground conditions and just the way you are swinging can turn up new stuff... but I was wondering what you thought?

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will say this about the Mojave. It handles bad ground and EMI better than most detectors with manuel ground balance. It runs so smooth on some of the worst ground it's amazing. The ground at this homestead reads 4 bar on the F75 and on the CTX un auto +3 the best sensitivity I can get is 10 to 12 with a mineral index of around 6 to 7. Whatever they did with that mineral switch I would take it on all my Tesoros. Have the switch where when switched up it would be for the fixed high mineral ground condition but down on the switch would allow you to manuel GB. The Mojave as far as I can tell seperation is as good as the Tejon and Vaq, not as deep but in old junk infested sites where you are dealing with period trash who cares.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Your persistence paid off! There has to be more coins there and the best part is they will most likely be old!

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find.....really great. I can't wait to have an ah ha moment like yours.

Mojave. So so tempting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread